What's new

PCB, IPL at loggerheads over Pakistani players’ inclusion

India Rising

BANNED
Reaction score
KARACHI: A senior Pakistani cricket official Saturday blamed India for the exclusion of Pakistan’s players from next year’s lucrative Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament.
Subhan Ahmed, chief operating officer of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), claimed that India did not respond to queries about the participation of Pakistani players.

“We asked them about the participation of Pakistani players, but they did not give any response,” he told reporters.

“From our end all the documentation that is needed, we undertake to provide them, whether that is permissions or no-objection certificates.”

He said Pakistan wanted its players to participate in the contest, which is a financial bonanza for those who take part, but said: “(Pakistanis) playing or not in this event is not in our hands.”

The PCB’s response came after an Indian Premier League (IPL) official said Tuesday that no Pakistani cricketers were on a list of 416 players for next month’s auction for the fourth edition of the tournament, which is to be held in April and May next year.

“The rules stipulate that a player must apply through his home board if he wanted to be put up for the auction. No names were received from Pakistan,” Ratnakar Shetty told AFP.

Eleven Pakistani cricketers took part in the inaugural IPL in 2008, but were forced out of the 2009 edition due to security concerns in the wake of the Mumbai attacks.

They were then overlooked for the 2010 tournament after teams failed to bid for them in the auction.

The PCB was left fuming by the perceived snub and in January this year revoked all the players’ permissions for the IPL.

Since then only paceman Mohammad Irfan, who played two one-day internationals for Pakistan this year, has been linked to an IPL team – the Kolkata Knight Riders – for next year’s edition.

But the Ahmed denied any Pakistani players, or IPL teams, had asked for the no-objection certificate (NOC) from the PCB required to play.

“No player or franchise has approached us,” Ahmed said. “They’ve actually revised the process of inducting players so any player who wants to participate will have to get permission and NOC from their board.”

PCB, IPL at loggerheads over Pakistani players? inclusion | Sport | DAWN.COM

PCB doesnt need to do some thing like thing, we all know the standard of IPL without pakistani players.. ignoring pak players will make IPL less lucrative, and thats whats happening now a days..

Personally I would like to see Pak players playing IPL, as like PC..

PCB doesnt need to do some thing like thing, we all know the standard of IPL without pakistani players.. ignoring pak players will make IPL less lucrative, and thats whats happening now a days..

You mean to say the finance it generated with pakistani players and without them........ tells a whole different story...

I personally believe pakistani players should be included. It's not their fault if one of their brainwashed countryman did mumbai! This sends a wrong message across the border they'd think we're using every opportunity to insult them[and till certain extent we are as well]. And it has been nearly 2 years. If we carry on like this then it will be another 200 years past with kashmir issue still unsoled and hatred just increased for each other!! If we can have pakistani contestants in big boss and chhote ustad then why not in IPL? I'm sure all the indians would love to see afridi batting with yuvi or tendulkar?

But this will make IPL less lucrative that I highly doubt. How can it make it less lucrative when 80% of the world revenue in cricket is generated by India?

It is good that Pakistani players have been kicked out of IPL. I am a bit disappointed that they aren't humiliated like last time. It would be better if they would have been kept under the impression that those franchises would pick them for their teams and kicked out at the last moments.

Nice work BCCI keep it up.

:tup:

maybe you didnt follow last ipl thats why you are saying this.
people watched it just for sachin.

You mean to say the finance it generated with pakistani players and without them........ tells a whole different story...

money for ipl was going to be generated domestically.

but as t20 cricketing spectacle it definitely loses - pak has some of the most exciting t20 players - gul, nazir, afridi, akhtar, tanvir

so as a cricketing spectacle in terms of quality the tournament does lose out.

but no serious non-indian cricketer really takes ipl seriously, they are just there for the money, so its a loss for the pak players that they dont make the $$$$

not a wise move. take 'em in ipl so that they don't fall easy prey to bookies. then again i'l blame pcb for this. they should be more diplomatic and be in good books of bcci like every other cricket boards in the world instead of trying to take them head on & blame it for everything which is wrong in pak cricket. i hope the commen sense prevails and move will be made to get them in.

money for ipl was going to be generated domestically.

but as t20 cricketing spectacle it definitely loses - pak has some of the most exciting t20 players - gul, nazir, afridi, akhtar, tanvir

so as a cricketing spectacle in terms of quality the tournament does lose out.

but no serious non-indian cricketer really takes ipl seriously, they are just there for the money, so its a loss for the pak players that they dont make the $$$$

individuals r never big than game,dont just think so because of ur nationality,the game had got a number of whackers and crackers,what u just mentioned is just a few names,nobody loses anything here,especially the game called cricket

not a wise move. take 'em in ipl so that they don't fall easy prey to bookies.

Hamne kya saari duniya ka theka liya hai?

If Pakistani cricketers can become corrupt just because IPL is not taking them, then they better be corrupt. Are they looking for excuses to remain honest?

Hamne kya saari duniya ka theka liya hai?

If Pakistani cricketers can become corrupt just because IPL is not taking them, then they better be corrupt. Are they looking for excuses to remain honest?

i know where u r comin from. we being the superpower of world cricket, we do have responsibility to look after the interest of other cricket boards!! i know things are much more complicated & way beyond the control of the boards. but they need to come together n work something out in the interest of the game & pakistani players.

individuals r never big than game,dont just think so because of ur nationality,the game had got a number of whackers and crackers,what u just mentioned is just a few names,nobody loses anything here,especially the game called cricket

you kidding me right?

the game of t20 is losing gul as the undisputed best t20 bowler.

tanvir as one of the other best bowlers.

afridi as one of the best spinners and all rounders.

akhtar as one of the fastest most interesting bowlers.

nazir is a great hitter.

misbah is also a great t20 batsmen.

so yes, clearly ipl is missing some of the major t20 stars, by default its a weaker tournament for it.

funny thing is i think pak players would be the most sincere performers, other players just see it as a pay cheque and dont pride in their performance.

you kidding me right?

the game of t20 is losing gul as the undisputed best t20 bowler.

tanvir as one of the other best bowlers.

afridi as one of the best spinners and all rounders.

akhtar as one of the fastest most interesting bowlers.

nazir is a great hitter.

misbah is also a great t20 batsmen.

so yes, clearly ipl is missing some of the major t20 stars, by default its a weaker tournament for it.

funny thing is i think pak players would be the most sincere performers, other players just see it as a pay cheque and dont pride in their performance.
lol...nobody is missing the fixers.... and nobody is loosing the interest... IPL is turned out to be a 4.13 bn dollar baby in a period of 3 years only..... which shows the popularity enjoy by the IPL.... vivian richard was the most devastating batman.. do anybody miss him in IPL??? :lol:.... don't crib buddy....

Back
Top Bottom