What's new

Pakistan's Special Operations Forces: SSG | SSGN | SSW | SOW | SOG

sparten said:
mastan, pakistanis can blend in easily in Afghanistan. Send a sqaud of Pashtuns.

OOE,
Sir, for SSG deployment in the Afghan War (and the Afghan operation in General), you should read "Bear Trap", by Brig Yousaf. He ran the ISI's Afghan desk during the war. Audacious man. Anyways he preferred that for important operartion, military advisors be present. Indeed they operated inside the USSR on a few occasions.
Brig ray has that book, you can ask him for it.

An interesting book.

That will be for anyone claiming to be the sole chap who singlehandedly against all odds did the job!

One must sift the wheat from the chaff!

True, but I tend to get turned off by all the books which have the recurrent theme of "There I was, and facing the whole enemy army singlehandedly..."

Does anyone know of any chance of the SSG operating U.S. M4 Carbines? If so, post some pics of them.

Yes SSG is using M-4 carbines.

e2b27668181215a118fc56f0a93c414d.jpg

SSG has its share of successes and failures just like any other SF. What does make a difference is the number of times they are committed. The SF operations by their nature are more difficult thus the ratio of failures can be high. Although I have to admit that the number of major SSG operations that have failed have been costly in terms of losses and as such receive more coverage, but the number of successes is more than the failures.

A few good books about the SSG include "Unlikely Beginings" and obviously the official history of the SSG (Col Faiz Gilani). Others who have written about the conduct of SSG in various ops include Brig ZA Khan (The way it was), & Maj Gen Hakeem Arshad Qureshi (1971 Indo-Pak war).

A few good books about the SSG include "Unlikely Beginings" and obviously the official history of the SSG (Col Faiz Gilani). Others who have written about the conduct of SSG in various ops include Brig ZA Khan (The way it was), & Maj Gen Hakeem Arshad Qureshi (1971 Indo-Pak war).

Can anybody make any reference out of these books? I am intersted in knowing the credentials of SSG.

Can anyone provide me with online version of any of the books? :) or any good book? Website or uploaded PDF..... anything good to read regarding the topic but unbiased and of good quality.

Waiting,

Regards

Can anyone provide me with online version of any of the books? :) or any good book? Website or uploaded PDF..... anything good to read regarding the topic but unbiased and of good quality.

Waiting,

Regards

The only one on-line is actually the very factual one by Brig Z A Khan and part of it is available at:

http://www.defencejournal.com/aug98/wayitwas1.htm

You can order the bookonline as well from desistore.com. By far the best aside from the official history is Late Maj Gen Abu Bakar Osman Mitha's (HJ) "unlikely beginings". An excellent and well written book which deals with the origins and formation of the SSG. Mitha happens to be the one responsible for the formation of the SSG and the first Group Commander of this elite unit. A very highly thought of commander of the SSG by all those who served under him.

Lt-Gen Hamid witnesses Pak-Turk wargames
PESHAWAR: Corps Commander Lt-Gen Muhammed Hamid Khan witnessed the ongoing Pak-Turkey joint exercise, ATATURK V, being conducted in the surrounding area of Tarbela, said a release of ISPR here on Tuesday.

The Turkish Special Forces are jointly participating in special operational skills which include heli-borne training, cordon/search operations, direct snap action, fighting in built-up areas and anti-terrorists skills with Pakistani Special Service Group (SSG) troops.

The contingent from Turkey comprising 29 all ranks from mountain commandos and Special Forces. Lt-Gen Muhammed Hamid Khan, Brigadier General Mustafa Sardar Ekizoglu, Commandant of Mountain and Commando School Turkish Army, General Officer Commanding Special Service Group Major General Tahir Mahmood and senior officers of both the armies witnessed the exercise.

Special forces of both the armies demonstrated a raid on terrorists camp by using special services techniques and destroyed the camp by direct snap action.

The corps commander went around the exercise area and met the troops of both the countries. He appreciated the hard work, commitment and efficiency displayed by the troops and hoped that such exercises would prove mutually beneficial for both the armies.

Highlighting the existing brotherly ties between two countries, he said there is a need to enhance the scope of similar exercises in future.

Turkish Brigadier General Mustafa Sardar Ekizoglu appreciated the professional standard displayed by the troops participating in exercises and said such interaction would continue in future.

Pak-Turkish military cooperation is deep-rooted and encompasses many facets. It covers officers exchange programme, training at each other facilities and mutual purchase of defence equipment. The joint exercise is a physical manifestation of such cooperation at all levels.

Earlier, on arrival in the exercise area the corps commander was given a detailed briefing on the exercise.

Hmmmm I have read through this thread and I have to say there is quite a bit of conjecture and probably quite a bit of hyperbole in these accounts of special forces activity.

Most "special forces" accounts are grossly exaggerated. I have a few friends who have been or are still involved in the special forces community and they happily tore down some of the myths that are floating around out there.
The Bravo two zero account is a good example of this.

At the end of the day. All special forces are just very well trained soldiers not supermen.:tup:

Back
Top Bottom