What's new

Pakistan's New Fighter Jets Can Change the Balance: The Impact of Pakistan's First...

The raptor suffers from simply not being ordered enough, Its quite simple, If mass production of the Bugatti Veyron was ordered it would cost less than it does right now. As far as the article goes, The persons understanding of the raptor is absolutely bollocks. If anything we should remember the infamous red flag video and the comments by the pilot.. 22.5 degrees a sec was his testimony to the 22's turn rate. If that is not maneuverability then I don't know what is. As far as the Radar goes .. it is a huge radar.. but at the same time its an AESA with LPI(low probability of Intercept) Which means it frequency hops and uses such a low power signal that most RWR's don't even know its there.. Further reducing the credibility of z articele du pierre.
Coming back to the project management aspect.. yes it is a failure in some regards. As it has been under attack for being designed as an Air superiority fighter whilst current combat scenario's under study usually are of the low intensity guerrilla types.Which is why even its designation was changed to F/A-22 to please congress that its not just "Not a pound for air to ground" jet. However this was changed back to F-22 after congress objected to two strike aircraft mainly the F/A-35's inclusion.
So not as such as a program management problem but rather its a program plagued by politics. The airplane otherwise. To me anyway.. is going to be unbeatable in the air.

Arjun
Akash
Taja

We have a far more mature weapons industry. We have been doing for decades what Pakistan has just started.

i beg to differ Our bird is flying yours is still on drawing board :victory:

you dont have a more mature weapons industry.
our bird has completed all the tests as is documented...

Both wrong. Different concepts and both still not 100% operational. The Lca is probably a bridge to far for India, even with cash and assistance. Pakistan played its cards better.

India certainly has more money to build an industrial base and I for one, think the industries set up or experience gained during the making of LCA would help India in the future. But that doesn't means that LCA...as a project..was not a failure in terms of cost overrun, time overrun and final product achieved.

Over a billion in cost and nearly 3 decades in development and what you get...a plane that still has foreign components and needs foreign assistance before being ordered in large numbers.

To me the projects failure is not whether buy it from elsewhere or build it at home but was this the best and most efficient way of building it at home? I don't think so.

And taking of weapons industry, it also includes missiles and nuclear programs. And we know who does it better.

Don't get me started on this...I recall we had a discussion about it on the JF-17 vs LCA thread.

1.5 ton overweight seeking EADS help in engine replacement, improving aerodynamic characteristics, braking system, reducing weight (whatever happened to 45% composites?) , unfolding the flight envelope, etc

I would hardly call it "completed all tests as is documented".

I dont think the LCA is a bridge too far, but to say that they have a more mature weapons industry is false.. The limitations on our indrsutry are way more than anyone could imagine. for eg.. ROTAX international is a major supplier of UAV engines. Now if we build a certain UAV and order one engine. The next week it is on the banned list of weapons supplies to us. India however is able to order anything off the shelf and otherwise. and use it, does it make it more mature..certainly, Its using the latest tech which is easily available to it. So the maturity is based on availability. Our Industry thrives on getting the best out of what is available and not embargoed. So keeping that in mind and considering that we still managed to develop a cruise missile out of crashed parts is testament to our engineers. whether is implies that the Indians cant make anything or aren't mature is also a false supposition. And more importantly as I used to assert on many teenage fanboys who are eager to jump in a boast about Pakistan vs India. India is 5 times our size and manpower. They aren't embargoed usually like we are. They have a technologically mature supplier in Russia and now the United states. We are denied most tech, our supplier is one who has just started embracing Quality over quantity. So if there are areas where India develops faster than us then so be it. Its logical and not based on their engineers or scientists being superior. Just having more access and more amicable working environments.
If the MKI is a superior plane then IT IS.. simple. Because they had the access to the tech, they used their vast pool of programmers to integrate the equipment. and so they made it.
Our approach is different, we try to make the best out of what we have, whether that is better than the Indians or not is irrelevant to the fact that it comes close to our requirements. The JF-17 was designed to counter India's all BVR force, Which it will, It is designed to hold its own in WVR, which it does. We aren't looking to patrol the skies of Delhi with impunity. The goal is to contest air superiority over our own skies, disrupt enemy offensive operations. And provide air support to our army. If our new aircraft can achieve this with a marginal degree of success then we should be satisfied.

And as to the JF-17's current status, it has no proper radar as of yet. Weapons have been fired.. but we don't document a lot of things in this country. we'd rather keep quiet about testing something and announce it a year later after we are sure it works fine. Consider that we had a mirage coated with RAM infiltrate Indian airspace way back in 98(heard it from the mouth of the head of AWC)..Nobody got told about it.. because it was just a test, and there was no reason to tell anybody that we violated a country's airspace.

Coming to the usual JF-17 vs LCA discussion. Whether the indians failed 1001 times or were unsuccessful is also said that they learnt a 1001 ways of not doing something that way. So while the LCA may be plagued with teething problems. The next jet the Indians decide to make..wont. They'll remember their mistakes (hopefully.. as both our countrymen have extremely short memories) and wont make them in their next platform.
Also, considering that the LCA is solely designed by the Indians and by its Wikipedia description they tried pushing the envelope too far. This was inevitable that they would stumble. So them seeking help from those who have committed SIMILAR mistakes in the past is no demeaning factor. However.. I do criticise the Indians for doing precisely this, Pushing the technology and envelope too far in their first true home designed front line fighter(the Marut has Kurt Tank's hand in it,the man behind the brilliant Fw-190.So he probably introduced the techniques for flight testing.. etc), they instead should have followed the approach used on the F-16.. start light and basic. then keep adding on as you get more mature on the platforms capabilities and envelope.
The JF-17 was designed by the Chinese, built by the Chinese and just like before.. handed over to us for co manufacture. They only input we gave was in the cockpit ergonomics and interface. This doesn't mean we aren't good enough to make a plane.. It just requires a lot of investment-> CASH$$$ which unlike India we are deficient in. So we just asked for a made to order jet, and got one.

My take on their matches:
BVR-1vs1.. too close to tell- the one with better ECM and luck wins
WVR 1vs1 (full missle load)
First shot goes to the LCA as its delta allows for a higher instantaneous rate. comes down to angle and altitude.
WVR 1vs1(guns only) The LCA can manage a good snapshot, but in case he misses.. then the thunder has its ***. because the delta will then bleed energy like anything and the Thunder's conventional wing design offers a good sustained turn rate.

So as far as these aircraft are concerned, its down to the pilots skill.
But seriously.. I hope no one assumes that its gonna be a boxing match. Chances are the first encounters for each side will involve completely unmatched aircraft.

And will someone please tell me where to find this guy of rupee news.. i want to throw a bucket of Ice water on him. The guy has just had too much Gutka

Last edited:
What a hillarious article. How does one 4th gen aircraft 'change' the dynamics for Pakistan? Its not as if the world is stagnant and only Pakistan is developing/ modernizing. Infact Pakistan is little behind than the rest of the world. And if the 'intelligent' writer and his followers think one jet will help Pakistan turn the table against India, its a dream wilder than 'bleeding India through a thousand cuts'..

Originally Posted by Cheetah786
Arjun
Akash
Taja

We have a far more mature weapons industry. We have been doing for decades what Pakistan has just started.

i beg to differ Our bird is flying yours is still on drawing board

Our bird? Can you tell me what JF stands for? What has Pakistan done except sharing the $500 million dollars in develpment? Pakistan doesnt have the capability to develop fighters at his moment. Its more of a Chinese blessing. So was the N-bomb, Shaheen and Hatf missiles.

Your weapons industry is ancient, the last missle tested was Babur, in 2001. Other than that I dont recollect any significant progress in the last decade. India is light years ahead in military technology. Apart from a handful of failures India has an enormous vesatily in weapon development. From Prithvi, to LCA, to PADE all have achieved a landmark not just in India but in the world.

Originally Posted by Munir:
Both wrong. Different concepts and both still not 100% operational. The Lca is probably a bridge to far for India, even with cash and assistance. Pakistan played its cards better

LCA has clocked more than 1100 test flights. It is a landmark in military aviation. LCA went from 2.5 gen to 4.5 gen all in the development phase. Not many countries have the capability to do so.

is there ANY documentation of jf-17s test flights ...from an official source ...ANY ????...like when did it first go supersonic ....first weapons release .....full payload tests ......with so much secrecy around the project its hard to believe all the TALL claims made by them

:cheers:

For The First time i,ve read the most balanced, wise, unprejudiced and realistics input from anyone on any topic Since i joined this forum, VERY WELL DONE "SANTRO", I LOVED YOUR POST, i wish i'd learn more from a wise man like you, keep it up...

I dont think the LCA is a bridge too far, but to say that they have a more mature weapons industry is false.. The limitations on our indrsutry are way more than anyone could imagine. for eg.. ROTAX international is a major supplier of UAV engines. Now if we build a certain UAV and order one engine. The next week it is on the banned list of weapons supplies to us. India however is able to order anything off the shelf and otherwise. and use it, does it make it more mature..certainly, Its using the latest tech which is easily available to it. So the maturity is based on availability. Our Industry thrives on getting the best out of what is available and not embargoed. So keeping that in mind and considering that we still managed to develop a cruise missile out of crashed parts is testament to our engineers. whether is implies that the Indians cant make anything or aren't mature is also a false supposition. And more importantly as I used to assert on many teenage fanboys who are eager to jump in a boast about Pakistan vs India. India is 5 times our size and manpower. They aren't embargoed usually like we are. They have a technologically mature supplier in Russia and now the United states. We are denied most tech, our supplier is one who has just started embracing Quality over quantity. So if there are areas where India develops faster than us then so be it. Its logical and not based on their engineers or scientists being superior. Just having more access and more amicable working environments.
If the MKI is a superior plane then IT IS.. simple. Because they had the access to the tech, they used their vast pool of programmers to integrate the equipment. and so they made it.
Our approach is different, we try to make the best out of what we have, whether that is better than the Indians or not is irrelevant to the fact that it comes close to our requirements. The JF-17 was designed to counter India's all BVR force, Which it will, It is designed to hold its own in WVR, which it does. We aren't looking to patrol the skies of Delhi with impunity. The goal is to contest air superiority over our own skies, disrupt enemy offensive operations. And provide air support to our army. If our new aircraft can achieve this with a marginal degree of success then we should be satisfied.

And as to the JF-17's current status, it has no proper radar as of yet. Weapons have been fired.. but we don't document a lot of things in this country. we'd rather keep quiet about testing something and announce it a year later after we are sure it works fine. Consider that we had a mirage coated with RAM infiltrate Indian airspace way back in 98(heard it from the mouth of the head of AWC)..Nobody got told about it.. because it was just a test, and there was no reason to tell anybody that we violated a country's airspace.

Coming to the usual JF-17 vs LCA discussion. Whether the indians failed 1001 times or were unsuccessful is also said that they learnt a 1001 ways of not doing something that way. So while the LCA may be plagued with teething problems. The next jet the Indians decide to make..wont. They'll remember their mistakes (hopefully.. as both our countrymen have extremely short memories) and wont make them in their next platform.
Also, considering that the LCA is solely designed by the Indians and by its Wikipedia description they tried pushing the envelope too far. This was inevitable that they would stumble. So them seeking help from those who have committed SIMILAR mistakes in the past is no demeaning factor. However.. I do criticise the Indians for doing precisely this, Pushing the technology and envelope too far in their first true home designed front line fighter(the Marut has Kurt Tank's hand in it,the man behind the brilliant Fw-190.So he probably introduced the techniques for flight testing.. etc), they instead should have followed the approach used on the F-16.. start light and basic. then keep adding on as you get more mature on the platforms capabilities and envelope.
The JF-17 was designed by the Chinese, built by the Chinese and just like before.. handed over to us for co manufacture. They only input we gave was in the cockpit ergonomics and interface. This doesn't mean we aren't good enough to make a plane.. It just requires a lot of investment-> CASH$$$ which unlike India we are deficient in. So we just asked for a made to order jet, and got one.

My take on their matches:
BVR-1vs1.. too close to tell- the one with better ECM and luck wins
WVR 1vs1 (full missle load)
First shot goes to the LCA as its delta allows for a higher instantaneous rate. comes down to angle and altitude.
WVR 1vs1(guns only) The LCA can manage a good snapshot, but in case he misses.. then the thunder has its ***. because the delta will then bleed energy like anything and the Thunder's conventional wing design offers a good sustained turn rate.

So as far as these aircraft are concerned, its down to the pilots skill.
But seriously.. I hope no one assumes that its gonna be a boxing match. Chances are the first encounters for each side will involve completely unmatched aircraft.

And will someone please tell me where to find this guy of rupee news.. i want to throw a bucket of Ice water on him. The guy has just had too much Gutka

U dont seem to be much anti-indian. strange. :azn:

Anyways nice observation. Very neutral approach

Rupeenews by moin ansari. goto rupeenews.com

Not everyone in either of our countries has a testosterone filled brain.
Those who claim anti-Indian-ism or Anti-Pakistan-ism in the name of patriotism are nothing more than scoundrels.
So.. do I hate India.. NO.. quite a bit of my family is there.. My ancestry is there.
Do I hate the Indian.. NO.. My father lived with 6 in a one bedroom apartment in Houston during the early days of the Desi invasion. and nobody cared, If u were new in Houston..Indian or Pakistani.. You were welcome. Some are still very good friends with my father till today.. and have been more reliable at times than Pakistani's.
DO I hate the Indian who hates my country and my people.. YES..
Do I wish him harm.. YES..
sums it up I think

Great News . Thanks for sharing.

Self Reliance is the first and the last key to success.
Our Strategik Ties with China will continue to benifit us.

Its another Moin Ansari article from teh rupee news which are as usually beyond debate.

i am going off topic here ....you think i am all talk and no walk seriously ...i used to report every off topic post in the defence threads...i asked people not to feed trolls irrespective of nationality . ...but the mods are just sleeping ....but if a guy with a pak flag goes off topic there no one to keep him in check ....they show attitudes equal to extemists ...saying we will take down india while we go down ....and these kind of posts do not bring him any harm...this is what is happening ....i never went off topic in the first place ...yea i was not all that polite...i can give you 200 examples of my politeness of my 290 odd posts and the rest are not readable to the faint hearted
:yahoo:

am annoyed at person who has given the rights to Inndians to create a sht in the forum. most indians need to be kcked off:sniper: india

India certainly has more money to build an industrial base and I for one, think the industries set up or experience gained during the making of LCA would help India in the future. But that doesn't means that LCA...as a project..was not a failure in terms of cost overrun, time overrun and final product achieved.

Over a billion in cost and nearly 3 decades in development and what you get...a plane that still has foreign components and needs foreign assistance before being ordered in large numbers.

To me the projects failure is not whether buy it from elsewhere or build it at home but was this the best and most efficient way of building it at home? I don't think so.
well....yes i agree somewhat...but the LCA mark II has been anounced and the LCA have been flying and completing their testing hours....and what a lot of people are thinking is that the people higher up...are not satisfied with the current LCA...not because they didn't get what they paid for...but that the air-power dynamics have changed quite rapidly in the last decade....and believe me when it comes to investing millions...we look at what china is keeping in her hangers...the LCa is a good plane...the time and the overruns make the program inefficient i agree...but i believe the LCA that'd show'p on the your RADARs and on the heads-up-displays...would be a derivative of the current LCA you despise...
and please...it doesn't have as many foreign components as has your thunder...don't you agree?
Kaveri is being developed and we are not foolish in trying too many things at once...don't you realize that...it'd not be far when we achieve the required thrust/weight ratio...and we'd have our own supersonic engine...i reckon that it's good to keep your books open when your exams have been postponed indefinitely....
try to look at things like this...the indian army and the airforce...have high standards...national pride is important...but being absolutely sure that you'd have the right tools to waste the other guy is supreme..
if i were you i'd understand that the airforce which boasts of trying to create and maintain 42 squadrons in 10 years...is helluvalot serious about it's machines!

And taking of weapons industry, it also includes missiles and nuclear programs. And we know who does it better.

no we don't.yes yes...i know i am a troll
Don't get me started on this...I recall we had a discussion about it on the JF-17 vs LCA thread.

1.5 ton overweight seeking EADS help in engine replacement, improving aerodynamic characteristics, braking system, reducing weight (whatever happened to 45% composites?) , unfolding the flight envelope, etc

I would hardly call it "completed all tests as is documented".

they are increasing the thrust/weight in the mark 2...

The Thread reads Change the balance.

Implying JF17 will change the balance. And in this respect the poster in correct.

Last Year PAF had nil BVR capable fighters including the baseline F16A/B which could only fire Sparrow Missles. VERSIS IAF who had over 300 BVR fighters ie SU30MKI MIRAGE 2000 MIG29 & BISON MIG21..

With JF17 & mlu to 44 F16 + 18 MORE BLOCK 52 this will change dramtically.

By 2012 PAF will have 50 JF17 + 62 F16 block 52 = 112 BVR fighters

IAF will have around 400 BVR fighters

so the balance will change from 300 v nil BVR

TO IAF 400bvr V PAF 112 bvr...

Back
Top Bottom