What's new

Pakistan's brain drain and Lingua Franca

Ahmet Pasha

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Disclaimer: I'm not an extreme Left or Right person. Advocating for either extreme religious stance or an over-exaggerated sense of liberalism.

Pakistan today is rife with several faults which are borderline cancers. The country miraculously teetering on brink of collapse, somehow manages to steer itself back towards sanity.

One of the most significant fault lines of Pakistan is the common Pakistani citizen, the human resource of the nation. He is the problem. He is also part of the solution but knows not. The manipulative powers that be have exploited this phenomenon to its fullest. Rendering the common bashera a completely clueless, pawn on their chessboard.

Hence we see emergence of flags of all hue and color, desecrating the national banner. Fire and brimstone rhetorical but empty speeches and generally polarizing politics. With many players being foreign sponsored anti state agents.

So in the midst of all this there is the heavy weight factor of languages, culture and traditions comes into the fray. Since these are the very things which are exploited by the power hungry politicians. We see the nation instead of having a united holistic sentiment, has instead been reduced to small communities with slight internal frictions. Especially between provinces. A phenomenon which seems to be hampering progress.

So the central argument I wanted to bring attention to is that: Why is it that people educated in english schools such as: Beaconhouse, Roots etc etc seem to have better cumulative primary skills. Why is it that they seem to have better chances of being more better off than their peers. Granted that most of these students are from well to do families. But there are also some middle class students attending such institutions as well.

Quaid e Azam M.A Jinnah was also from a middle class family. He made use of the English language to carve a completely new nation on the face of the Earth.

The point that I would like to insinuate is that by giving up languages that are only regional and dying out. And embracing the lingua franca of our time we increase the chances of Pakistan to develop significantly. As did the catholic priests, nobels and aspiring scientists with Arabic, by translating thesis & research by Muslim intellectualls into Latin. Many bright minds hungry for knowldege made long sojourns to muslim lands to learn knowledge. Historical accounts are full of the same Europeans of today lacking in proper sanitation, eating habits, civility and overall quality of life. European priests at one point in history had great difficulty in ascertaining times for religious festivities as they lacked in abilities to accurately estimate time of year, season changes etc. So I think that adopting the lingua franca of the time might prove very beneficial for Pakistan. Or at the very least there should be some way of translating modern knowledge to provincial and urdu languages. And making that knowledge accessible to the common Bashera living in a remote village in Balochistan. Making knowledge trickle down and more accessible.

And it is not just the language that is going to be adopted. Along with it comes oppurtunities to integrate work ethics and thought processes that exist in developed societies.

Do not let this article think that I condone for profit private schools. Far from it. In fact today, the quality of education is falling even in such schools. Because of the sense of monoply in the owners of such schools. Nor am I arguing that by adopting English on a national level means relinquishing one's muslim or Pakistani identity. In fact I have heard more english speaking muslim theologians who are contributing more positively to Muslims than others.

What I seek to suggest is that a lot can be achieved to implement a standardized educational system that is in line with global progress, opens the minds of students to innovation & creativity. Because every member of any institution, every MNA, every Prime Minister, Army chief is at one point a common Bashera living in Lahore, Laya, or some remote area.

This might seem a very pro-western view. And I am totally fine if anyone disagrees. But my most important concern is that the educational situation in Pakistan is in tatters. And due to this the common man is tossed around by narcissistic control freaks. Without any effective solution. In the midst of all this the intellectual cream of society is drooling over $$$ and seeking to send their children to strange lands to make money stamping machines out of them. Or "Afsars" as they are called.

Leaving only likes of uneducated crooks in power to represent the country. Who while addressing an international forum appear to be a complete laughing stock and whose vision does not exceed their own palace.

In this regard I blame the parents of the "middle generation" the one after independence from 1955 to around 1985. Which had a genuine chance of progress but it sought to blindly mimic the West and make their children $$ seeking "afsars" rather than people who actually wanted to make a difference in the field of their choosing.

This is like many other things in Pakistan is not an issue of money. It is an issue of initiative, management and getting results.

Last edited:
Two languages should be taught from the beginning and children should be mentored to excel in both: Urdu, and English.

The teaching of language is invariably linked with teaching of culture. We need to be mindful of the approach. Whereas, in teaching Urdu, our own Islamic culture should be emphasized, the teaching of English MUST include pointing out the differences of foreign culture, and why it shouldn't act as role model for Muslims.

Yes, but things are not black and white clear. In many things the non muslim world in fact should be a role model and in others not.

So urdu could serve as teaching about the internal things of Pakistan. And English as the external things of Pakistan. Israelis do the same thing. They carry out all their extreme religious antics and anti-goyim stuff in Hebrew. And all the peace, love, humanity, freedom bull shyt in english.

Irony is that every evil thing that muslims are accussed of doing is found in religious jews around the world. Hehe
Two languages should be taught from the beginning and children should be mentored to excel in both: Urdu, and English.

The teaching of language is invariably linked with teaching of culture. We need to be mindful of the approach. Whereas, in teaching Urdu, our own Islamic culture should be emphasized, the teaching of English MUST include pointing out the differences of foreign culture, and why it shouldn't act as role model for Muslims.

Yes, but things are not black and white clear. In many things the non muslim world in fact should be a role model and in others not.

So urdu could serve as teaching about the internal things of Pakistan. And English as the external things of Pakistan. Israelis do the same thing. They carry out all their extreme religious antics and anti-goyim stuff in Hebrew. And all the peace, love, humanity, freedom bull shyt in english.

Irony is that every evil thing that muslims are accussed of doing is found in religious jews around the world. Hehe

Well, cultural matters are the exception to the rule. We do need to inculcate values such as abhorrence towards plagiarism, critical thinking and logic when dealing with matters of science and engineering etc. But culture needs to be sharply delineated.

The truth of culture is that what u said. It needs to be defined. As right now there is no clear PAKISTANI identity. Just some various conflicting identities. The situation being exacerbated by onslaught of Indian and Western media. With your average strert cat teenager accepting bunch of African American gangsters as his ideals just cuz they look cool.
Well, cultural matters are the exception to the rule. We do need to inculcate values such as abhorrence towards plagiarism, critical thinking and logic when dealing with matters of science and engineering etc. But culture needs to be sharply delineated.

As long as people display this fear of West or a aversion that has it's roots in the colonial era Pakistan will not as a nation make progress. This aversion to the West is a condition. A condition that is legacy of the conquest and the subjugation by the West. It is form of slave mentality. Although we became free in 1947 in our minds we still carry the memory of that slave age. All these years later it still manifests us in how we are averse to anything Western. As a people we really need to free ourselves from the age of subjugation.

We must gain confidence in ourselves and free our minds from the legacy of subjugation. Muslims who were not subjugated but instead either were equal to the West or prevailed against the West do not display this disease of aversion.Perfect examples of this are Turks. They show no particular problen with this "West" syndrome but pick and choose what is good without getting constipated about it. This exhibits their confidence in themselves.

Another successful people are Chinese. They again despite having a 5,000 year culture and timeline are confident and pick and choose whatever they think will work without getting overly bothered about this West/East equation.

As right now there is no clear PAKISTANI identity.
100% spot on. Indeed this does not even exist. Can somebody explain what is Pakistani identity?

I also think picking and choosing and then effectively implementing on national level is beneficial.

The gora raj was able to achieve what it wanted namely an "enlightened" indigenous class that does their own bidding on top. And poor, destitute and purposefully uneducated souls to be manipulated by both this "enlightened" class and gora raj .In process left lasting impressions. Ones we cannot shake off to this day. I was kinda shocked to realize just how many colonial traditions we have running inside us and how effectively the gora raj was able to indoctrinate the local population.

It is indeed difficult to pinpoint a PAKISTANI identity but it is not impossible if done in a dedicated, gradual manner.
As long as people display this fear of West or a aversion that has it's roots in the colonial era Pakistan will not as a nation make progress. This aversion to the West is a condition. A condition that is legacy of the conquest and the subjugation by the West. It is form of slave mentality. Although we became free in 1947 in our minds we still carry the memory of that slave age. All these years later it still manifests us in how we are averse to anything Western. As a people we really need to free ourselves from the age of subjugation.

We must gain confidence in ourselves and free our minds from the legacy of subjugation. Muslims who were not subjugated but instead either were equal to the West or prevailed against the West do not display this disease of aversion.Perfect examples of this are Turks. They show no particular problen with this "West" syndrome but pick and choose what is good without getting constipated about it. This exhibits their confidence in themselves.

Another successful people are Chinese. They again despite having a 5,000 year culture and timeline are confident and pick and choose whatever they think will work without getting overly bothered about this West/East equation.

100% spot on. Indeed this does not even exist. Can somebody explain what is Pakistani identity?

I was kinda shocked to realize just how many colonial traditions we have running inside us and how effectively the gora raj was able to indoctrinate the local population.
I am sorry I disagree. I get lot of abuse my way because my views are entirely differant. The problem was that "Gora Raj" failed to indoctinate the local population. The slight amount of indoctrination you see today is what keeps Pakistan working or we would also be like Afghanistan. Please tell me one thing that works in pakistan that is "desi"? Nothing. It was the "desi" medicine that fcuked us up in the first place. A few "goras" came and conquered our ancestors. When we got conquered in 1849 there was not a shred of Western thinking in what is now Pakistan. It was pure 100% home made desi.

Well then the problem maybe we have a gora system trying to rule desi folks??
I am sorry I disagree. I get lot of abuse my way because my views are entirely differant. The problem was that "Gora Raj" failed to indoctinate the local population. The slight amount of indoctrination you see today is what keeps Pakistan working or we would also be like Afghanistan. Please tell me one thing that works in pakistan that is "desi"? Nothing. It was the "desi" medicine that fcuked us up in the first place. A few "goras" came and conquered our ancestors. When we got conquered in 1849 there was not a shred of Western thinking in what is now Pakistan. It was pure 100% home made desi.

I will give you two examples to make my point.

Pre - 1849 The region that is now Pakistan had zero "Gora" influence. It was 100% pure local "desi" influence. Be it Sikh, be it Muslim, be it Sindhi, be it Pakhtuns, be it Balochi, be Talpurs it was 100% pure desi culture iterations. Whatever pre-existed 1849 cannot be blamed on the West. We were pure uncontaminated desi milk. Yet a few Angraiz came and made the whole lot of us slaves. And then we became slaves for the next 98 years - 1849-1947 ruling be few Gora Sahibs.

1947 - Present We became a independant country thanks to struggle of a Western educated gent. Pakistan still retained 90% desi thinking but we also now had 10% Gorah Raj indoctrinated people which had left behind it's education institutions like Aitchison College, Karachi Grammer School etc, military, civil and political institutions. This region was far more Western indoctrinated now then it was before 1849. Why not tell the same Angraiz today to try and conquer the country today?

Not a chance.

Well then the problem maybe we have a gora system trying to rule desi folks??
Yes that is very true. But you saw what happened when we had desi system ruling desi folks in 1840s. The English walked in and made slaves of all of us. At least right now the system may not be perfect but there is no way they can do that.

By the way have a look at Turkey. There are lots of Turkish members. Learn from them.

I think u brought the whole topic in an enitrely dofferent direction. Its not so much about gora leaving behind things.

It is about someone taking genuine interest in nation building and leading people to a generally better position.

OK the gora may have left us something. But where do we go from here???

Pre - 1849 The region that is now Pakistan had zero "Gora" influence. It was 100% pure local "desi" influence. Be it Sikh, be it Muslim, be it Sindhi, be it Pakhtuns, be it Balochi, be Talpurs it was 100% pure desi culture iterations. Whatever pre-existed 1849 cannot be blamed on the West. We were pure uncontaminated desi milk. Yet a few Angraiz came and made the whole lot of us slaves. And then we became slaves for the next 98 years - 1849-1947 ruling be few Gora Sahibs.

1947 - Present We became a independant country thanks to struggle of a Western educated gent. Pakistan still retained 90% desi thinking but we also now had 10% Gorah Raj indoctrinated people which had left behind it's education institutions like Aitchison College, Karachi Grammer School etc, military, civil and political institutions. This region was far more Western indoctrinated now then it was before 1849. Why not tell the same Angraiz today to try and conquer the country today?

Not a chance.

Yes that is very true. But you saw what happened when we had desi system ruling desi folks in 1840s. The English walked in and made slaves of all of us. At least right now the system may not be perfect but there is no way they can do that.

By the way have a look at Turkey. There are lots of Turkish members. Learn from them.

We certainly can learn alot by Turkish model but such Krmalist principles will be highly highly resisted by Pakistanis. And it may lead to severe bloodshed.

Not a chance.

You see Kemal Ataturk figured out that to stand up against Europe you had to change the "desi system" but to be a real success you have to also change the "desi people". Clearly desi system/desi people had been a recipe for disaster. It was a recipe for defeat after defeat after defeat as Muslim nations from Morocco to Indonesia fell to Western domination.

So Kemal Ataturk had a choice. Make the Turks go the way rest of the Muslims went, like us - become slaves of the West or stand up against them as proud free people. Ataturk came up with simple solution. He went for Western system/Western thinking. And Turkey went on to remain a proud independent country.

We? We were chasing the desi system/desi people and instead became slaves of the British for 98 years. And we still have not learn't. Most of us want to reapply the failed recipe that fcuked us up in the first place.

Two essential non Western people stood up to the Western world during the age of colonialism. Most of the rest us were being slaves of the West during this period. The two peoples who stood up against the West and stood up tall are the Turks and Japanese. You need to look at what they did when we were being chaiwallahs for the British. Learn from them !

@KediKesenFare @xenon54 @T-123456 Your thoughts gents.

Yes , with your kind of atheistic/liberalish leanings it kinda seems convenient to bring sweeping reforms and force em down ppls throats. Its all fine.

But what I seek to propose is something is reconciliatory between strong Islamic leanings of Pakistanis in general and the modern, sort of progressive ideals. Which in Pakistani context makes sense because if you go the Ataturk route people will refuse to accept such reforms and may even revolt.
You see Kemal Ataturk figured out that to stand up against Europe you had to change the "desi system" but to be a real success you have to also change the "desi people". Clearly desi system/desi people had been a recipe for disaster. It was a recipe for defeat after defeat after defeat as Muslim nations from Morocco to Indonesia fell to Western domination.

So Kemal Ataturk had a choice. Make the Turks go the way rest of the Muslims went, like us - become slaves of the West or stand up against them as proud free people. Ataturk came up with simple solution. He went for Western system/Western thinking. And Turkey went on to remain a proud independent country.

We? We were chasing the desi system/desi people and instead became slaves of the British for 98 years. And we still have not learn't. Most of us want to reapply the failed recipe that fcuked us up in the first place.

Two essential non Western people stood up to the Western world during the age of colonialism. Most of the rest us were being slaves of the West during this period. The two peoples who stood up against the West and stood up tall are the Turks and Japanese. You need to look at what they did when we were being chaiwallahs for the British. Learn from them !

@KediKesenFare @xenon54 @T-123456 Your thoughts gents.

@Path-Finder @BHarwana @Zarvan

Back
Top Bottom