What's new

Featured Pakistani Navy confirms Brazilian jetliner will replace Orion patrol aircraft

Why are we retiring the Orions? they are still very capable aircrafts... just a few years they had Indian subs in their target vision on 2 occasions. A few years ago news came out that the PN orions were upgraded in house to carry out land attack missions using the harpoons :D I would not be surprised if the Orions were further modified to carry a few Babur/Raad missiles as well logically speaking! Since that would be far far easier than modifying foreign Harpoons.

American military and intelligence officials say they suspect that Pakistan has modified the Harpoon antiship missiles that the United States sold the country in the 1980s, a move that would be a violation of the Arms Control Export Act. Pakistan has denied the charge, saying it developed the missile itself. The United States has also accused Pakistan of modifying American-made P-3C aircraft for land-attack missions, another violation of United States law that the Obama administration has protested.

We are facing an enemy that still uses Russian Kilo subs. We should still go ahead with modern options but that does not mean we cant upgrade the orions and keep them flying for decades more to come!

Why are we retiring the Orions? they are still very capable aircrafts... just a few years they had Indian subs in their target vision on 2 occasions. A few years ago news came out that the PN orions were upgraded in house to carry out land attack missions using the harpoons :D I would not be surprised if the Orions were further modified to carry a few Babur/Raad missiles as well logically speaking! Since that would be far far easier than modifying foreign Harpoons.

American military and intelligence officials say they suspect that Pakistan has modified the Harpoon antiship missiles that the United States sold the country in the 1980s, a move that would be a violation of the Arms Control Export Act. Pakistan has denied the charge, saying it developed the missile itself. The United States has also accused Pakistan of modifying American-made P-3C aircraft for land-attack missions, another violation of United States law that the Obama administration has protested.

We are facing an enemy that still uses Russian Kilo subs. We should still go ahead with modern options but that does not mean we cant upgrade the orions and keep them flying for decades more to come!
It does when the supply line for critical components is Rocky. Hence the need for a low risk option like the sea sultan.

We are not retiring the Orions for another decade
Exactly, We can’t anyways, the sea sultans will take at least a decade to reach the numbers and operational capability of the Orions anyways. I don’t know why some people are thinking we’re going to retire them tomorrow. By the time the Sea Sultans are ready to take over, the Orions will be outdated anyways, a decade is a very long time in military technology.

Pakistani Navy confirms Brazilian jetliner will replace Orion patrol aircraft
By: Usman Ansari   11 minutes ago
BDT7HBKR4RAZRB7PBOYBKR44WQ.jpg
An attendant stands beside a model of the Embraer Lineage 1000 business jet during the Asian Aerospace Show in Hong Kong on March 8, 2011. (Kin Cheung/AP)

ISLAMABAD — Pakistan’s Navy has selected the Embraer Lineage 1000 jetliner to replace its P-3C Orion long-range maritime patrol aircraft, a service spokesman has confirmed to Defense News.

Outgoing naval chief Adm. Adm. Zafar Mahmood Abbasi announced Oct. 6 that the Navy would replace its P-3C Orion fleet with 10 converted commercial jets, the first of which has been ordered. However, he did not identify the type.

The Ministry of Defence Production, which handles acquisition, did not return requests for comment regarding the conversion and possible partners.

With only a single aircraft ordered thus far, the program is in its early stages. When converted for Pakistani service, the aircraft will be called Sea Sultan.

It is unclear if the aircraft is being acquired directly from the manufacturer or another party. Embraer did not respond to requests for comment.

The question of what issues may arise in converting the aircraft was put to Douglas Barrie, an aerospace analyst at the International Institute for Strategic Studies:

“Using a commercial turbofan engine-powered aircraft as the basis for an ASW [anti-submarine warfare] platform is not unheard of. After all, the U.S. P-8 is a Boeing 737-800 derivative," he said.

But there are challenges in conversing the aircraft, he added, "not least of all if internal weapons carriage is required where a bomb bay will need to be cut into the airframe.”

“Significant undertaking and risk management is going to be important,” he said, adding that it’s likely Embraer will be asked to help with the conversion, “otherwise the challenges just get all the greater.”

Frederico Lemos, Embraer’s defense representative who handles business in Asia, did not respond to Defense News' questions about whether the company is or would be involved in the conversion process.

The term 'replace' seems bit of misplaced,in true sense of 'replacement' - isn't it.

Orion is still a 50+ years old airframe I believe and the tech in it is old school. Every 3 years, sensors become half the size of their prior size with 1.5* or double the compute power. So if a P3C variant is upgraded, I believe the cost of it would be extremely high so it's better to get new ones. Especially in Pakistan's case. What I've read seems to be very affordable, current tech and brand new airframe also. Jamming would also be an issue with the older tech. Poseidon is as recent and Jam free one could get but the US will not sell it to Pakistan. So it's a sensible step to get the new one's.

Orion is still a 50+ years old airframe I believe and the tech in it is old school. Every 3 years, sensors become half the size of their prior size with 1.5* or double the compute power. So if a P3C variant is upgraded, I believe the cost of it would be extremely high so it's better to get new ones. Especially in Pakistan's case. What I've read seems to be very affordable, current tech and brand new airframe also. Jamming would also be an issue with the older tech. Poseidon is as recent and Jam free one could get but the US will not sell it to Pakistan. So it's a sensible step to get the new one's.

What makes you say that?
There is no restriction on US Military equipment sales to Pakistan. Sticking point is financing.
Pakistan wants all US equipment to be funded via CSF of which according to Pakistan's estimate around 12B are withheld. US wants Pakistan to pay with its monies.

@Akh1112 @Tipu7 @HRK @SQ8 ^
is it just me or it looks unmodified still, wonder Why the ceremony and LRMPA title then, maybe just to induct the plane? But that doesn’t make much sense.

yeah most likely conversion hasn't taken place yet..........is it ? but than why the ceremony or something 'interesting' which we are missing here

yeah most likely conversion hasn't taken place yet..........is it ? but than why the ceremony or something 'interesting' which we are missing here
Yeah reading that post and upon further inspection the aircraft is obviously not modified yet, I suppose this ceremony was supposed to be held a while back when the aircraft arrived but covid or some other issues delayed it. This means they likely won’t do another ceremony when the modified aircraft is handed over, which makes sense I suppose. So nothing interesting to see so far.

Yeah reading that post and upon further inspection the aircraft is obviously not modified yet, I suppose this ceremony was supposed to be held a while back when the aircraft arrived but covid or some other issues delayed it. This means they likely won’t do another ceremony when the modified aircraft is handed over, which makes sense I suppose. So nothing interesting to see so far.
ceremony would had made sense if the plane had gone through the transformation phase which included all the desired surveillance and weapon package. Plane was in Pakistan since Nov/Dec 2020, that's long time back. Having mini ceremony for the platform (for now empty ?) only doesn't add up and nothing like this happens in any branch of the armed forces.

Back
Top Bottom