What's new

Pakistani corner

Female-spectators-of-the-festival.jpg

This festival is part of a series of events being held across the mountainous Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistana. Hashoo Foundation, a development organization, and Centre for Culture and Development (CKU), have joined hands with local institutions and government departments to arrange the festivals. Deputy Speaker of the Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly, Jafarullah Khan, along with several other government officials attended the festival

PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – Themshing Festival celebrated in Hundur Valley, Yasin

You are student of genetic engineering?

Genetics,which is broader horizon- while genetic engineering is one of the subjects I am studying:(

Yasin, what a lovely place. @unleashed ,@Slav Defence -some positives for you...

Themshing Festival celebrated in Hundur Valley, Yasin
Gilgit, October 14: “Themshing” festival was celebrated at the picturesque Hundur village in the Yasin Valley of district Ghizar, Gilgit-Baltistan, in the northern most past of Pakistan. The well-attended festival is a seasonal event, held during autumn, presented very interesting insights about the lives of the people who depend on pastoral activities for food.

Majority of the activities during the Themishing festival were centered around the pastoral cycle and the shepherds. Being a mountainous region, with low landholding, the residents of this region have for centuries depended heavily on pastures and breeding sheep and goat, yaks, for earning their livelihood means.

The trends are changing with the passage of time, as a new generation of university graduates and entrepreneurs take control of the region’s economy, but still a large number of people are involved in pastoral activities.

Shappards are ready to collect cattles from villages

One highlight of the festival was the traditional ritual of singing ‘Bingal’, a traditional song heralding the beginning of the pastoral cycle, and letting residents of the village know that the season has come, and those planning to send their sheep and goats to the pasture should ready the flocks. Bingal is also used for warning against an approaching danger. In the high mountain pastures there are a lot of tigers and other carnivores, which occasionally stroll into pastures for food. Bingal is performed in the face of such a threat to warn the other shepherds.

Hashki being performed by Shepherds standing around the rooftop opening in a traditional house

The traditional ritual of “Hashki” was also a very interesting item.During mid-summers, group of Sheppard’s come back to their village to collect items like sugar, tea, salt, fruits and other edibles which they could use in pastures. These people don’t knock on the doors. Instead, they climb and stand on the roof of the traditional house, around the rooftop opening constructed for allowing light inside – locally called “Somo”, and sing songs to lure the owners of the house into giving the needed edibles.

Sheppards are going towards bigal

“Lobal” was another interesting item surrounding a shepherd. In Lobal, the Sheppard prays for the safety of his/her cattle, by singing a song. The sheep and goats, like humans, face many threats on the narrow mountain tracks. Lobal, thus, is a song of hope for the shepherd.

Tug of War between shepherds and farmers

“Tug of War” was also played between Sheppard’s and farmers.

Traditional Wrestling between shepherds. The winner becomes the chief shepherd for the next season.

Another highlight of the event was “Sumla”, a wrestling match between shepherds. The winner of this ‘wrestling’ is selected as the next chief of the shepherds for the season.

Dances perform during a Duff Tamasha

The traditional ritual of “Duff Tamasha” singing competition among different village groups was also performed. The singers, standing in a circle, play duff and sing enthusiastically.

The traditional culinary food “Makuti” was another important feature of the festival. Makuti, basically, is a traditional cake made by the female head of the family. The major ingredient is maize flour. Makuti is baked on fire. Neighbors are invited to share Makuti. Brothers visit their sisters married in far away villages carrying Makuti, as a sign of goodwill. “Ghulmandi” was another delicious food exhibited during the festival.
Truly amazing:)

regards

Unfortunately.

of O levels, yes.

:o: sister are you crazy, i was stupid enough to not wear proper clothing's, and you are asking me to take a swim. Are you crazy, it's clod like hell, but the fish is lovely. Isn't it?

PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – 14 amazing photographs of autumn beauty in Nagar Valley

Great news. Gilgit needs more such educational institutes, back in the days people had to travel a lot just to get to a proper institute. Educational structure is quite poor. good development. PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – Draft bill for establishment of Baltistan University handed over to GBLA Speaker

good going: PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – World Space Week celebrated in Hunza Valley
Gupis is again home for me: PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – Cultural festivals brings together the people of Gupis Valley, Ghizar

Akhrot and badam, take a look at me for example.:lol:

Yes you will, yes you will :D

I always take a dip whenever my nana goes for fishing, plus I'm a good swimmer and anyways if a girl can do it..... :P

What I want for GB is an IT industry, like software and stuff, it won't harm the environment and give high paying jobs. What do you say?.

I would have responded that,but this is not the answer syed.ali.haider wanted,because you can explain the science and society part of religion.However,you don't have scientific explanation of divine creatures such as archangels and events such as formation of Essa (A.S) without father.These events are purely miracle and science could only explain measurable properties and events of nature.Hence,science is limited and religion has broader horizon.
That is why @Syed.Ali.Haider in very clever, manner made such comment.Do not research to justify verses,they are not descended from heaven for you so that you began to prove them right,in fact they are present there to hint you to learn and to develop concepts further.
Remember,Islam means submission and when you submit yourself...you don't ask,you just learn and follow.
regards
oh my views had nothing to do with ali haider. he is usually always trolling. and by my post ihad meant things that can be understood...analyzed...not those things that cant be measured as hazrat esa's example u stated. even science admits she cant provide reasoning behind miracles.

[QUsoc="Neutron, post: 7769221, member: 166246"]You are student of genetic engineering?[/QUOTE]
Or soc
Genetics,which is broader horizon- while genetic engineering is one of the subjects I am studying:(

regards

I assumed you are student of social engineering........ what is the combination of genetics and pdf ??? :cheesy:

[QUsoc="Neutron, post: 7769221, member: 166246"]You are student of genetic engineering?
I assumed you are student of social engineering........ what is the combination of genetics and pdf ??? :cheesy:

What is the combination of think tank vice chairman and mod?:lol:

regards

Last edited:
Nature appears to be simple, but it is a deeply complex and intricate symphony, for those who delve deeper into its mysteries. That is the true beauty of its creation, for those who wish to understand it better as commanded by Him.

I won't be surprised by any of its complexities if I already believe in "HE simply creates it by saying be done and it gets done" the magnitude of AUTHORITY for me is such that nothing created by HIM would be surprising for me but will make me believe more firmly, how it works is simple if I believe in WHO makes it work, anyhow I am no science person like you people, if I start understanding the complexity behind every natural process and thing I won't be able to ever understand myself. Though the invitation is there to research on the signs for everyone.

regards
Look at them scouts, lovely. We should have scouts all over Pakistan, they are doing such as amazing job in GB, in keeping law and order. GB scouts have historically been a key factor. Proud forces of Pakistan. Scout system should be all over the country. I have young cousins who perform duties too. Plus in these festivals the best part is the harmony, peace and unity. Loving it.
Tug-of-War-between-shappards-and-Farmers.jpg

I always take a dip whenever my nana goes for fishing, plus I'm a good swimmer and anyways if a girl can do it..... :P
Merey bhain, this was my routine in Gilgit and Yasin(which is just like Phandar) Desi breakfast, and we woudl go to the river to swim, and it is killer cold. I am a good swimmer too, but the water is too cold.
Yasin valley, look at that river. Ever been to Lalik jan's mizar.
File0930.JPG

What I want for GB is an IT industry, like software and stuff, it won't harm the environment and give high paying jobs. What do you say?.
I totally agree. If government pays a little attention, so much can be achieved. Better structure can help many. People usually go out to the rest of the country to work, which isn't wrong, it would be good to have such facilities there too.

Look at them scouts, lovely. We should have scouts all over Pakistan, they are doing such as amazing job in GB, in keeping law and order. GB scouts have historically been a key factor. Proud forces of Pakistan. Scout system should be all over the country. I have young cousins who perform duties too. Plus in these festivals the best part is the harmony, peace and unity. Loving it.

Merey bhain, this was my routine in Gilgit and Yasin(which is just like Phandar) Desi breakfast, and we woudl go to the river to swim, and it is killer cold. I am a good swimmer too, but the water is too cold.

I totally agree. If government pays a little attention, so much can be achieved. Better structure can help many. People usually go out to the rest of the country to work, which isn't wrong, it would be good to have such facilities there too.
if iwud take a dip in such cold water as u n meap i wud be no more.

This festival is part of a series of events being held across the mountainous Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistana. Hashoo Foundation, a development organization, and Centre for Culture and Development (CKU), have joined hands with local institutions and government departments to arrange the festivals. Deputy Speaker of the Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly, Jafarullah Khan, along with several other government officials attended the festival

You made me scratch my screen to remove that extra A there :mad:

What is the combination of think tank vice chairman and mod?:lol:

Depends on the admin......... authorised to edit.........
combination of moderator and think tank vice chairman ..... well..... its good.......result of bad guy I think AWOL

:lol:

A dare is a dare, you gotta do it....again that is. "The cold never bothered me anyways...." Remember? .

GB has too much potential, if it's harvested, it can turn the fate of the nation. Plus it will be for the betterment of the locals.

Depends on the admin......... authorised to edit.........
combination of moderator and think tank vice chairman ..... well..... its good.......result of bad guy I think AWOL

So decipher yourself that what could be the combination of two distinct and different entities:lol:

Regards

A dare is a dare, you gotta do it....again that is. "The cold never bothered me anyways...." Remember? .
I have, in phunder, many times or else i would be called a chicken..challenge accepted. Do mine too, go to shandur with your nana, don't miss the fireworks, or deaosai. Would do it daily in Yasin. Yasin river is very cold you know.

Plus it will be for the betterment of the locals.
exactly.

Back
Top Bottom