What's new

Pakistan-Turkey 4 Milgem Ada Class Corvettes Contract - Construction started

If Turkey is producing smart modules then Anti-Air system is no more issue as well

Istanbul class frigates will have national vertical launchers onboard. I don’t know If It is going to catch the construction period of first I class frigate but They are going to be stationed on national ships certainly.

Additions, 10-11 different surface to air missiles from VSORAD to medium and long altitude missile defence system with different guidance selections are being developed. Some of them are in active trial phase and half of them are directly related with Navy’s specific requirements.

basic ADA hull design has no space for a VLS ... and if you change the Hull you have LF-2400 .. LF-2400 is just ADA with VLS ..

My friend to have more VLS we are buying type 054. ADA serves a different purpose.

For instance the Millenium gun based Korkut
French radars
Altay based on South Korean design
Firtina
Among others.
A Saab vehicle as the Turkish national car project (maybe Pakistan or Bangladesh can also buy this off Turkey and have their own national car project too)

Turkey seems to be buying as much technology as it can from Europe. Which is a reasonable strategy, helps save time and money.

Question:
Was the Milgem Ada design consulted from a European company? (would like to know)

Just a thought - if you built a Milgem class ship using an aluminum hull and superstructure, you'd have a similarly sized ship at about 1000 tons. Of course, if it got hit it would sink much easier but, imagine how that could play out in terms of propulsion requirements and sea worthiness. If enough money is saved from propulsion, would it still be priced too high for going with an all aluminum ship?

Similarly, imagine a 500 ton all aluminum ship - that would in theory have the same capability as a 1000 ton conventional corvette.

Milgelm seems to have origins in BAE Systems, which has a good foothold as a technology driver for key systems and technologies in Turkey.

I don't wish for this to be a Turkey bashing thread, nor appear to demean. Turkey has made great strides, and continues to make all of us really proud of their achievements. There is a lot we can learn from the brotherly country.

Milgelm seems to have origins in BAE Systems, which has a good foothold as a technology driver for key systems and technologies in Turkey.

I don't wish for this to be a Turkey bashing thread, nor appear to demean. Turkey has made great strides, and continues to make all of us really proud of their achievements. There is a lot we can learn from the brotherly country.

Thank you so much Sir for your reply, BAe does seem to have close relationships with Turkey.

We've seen China get a foothold on military equipment manufacture via reverse engineering and we are seeing Turkey using a more forthright strategy of buying what we call "white box solutions" in the commercial sector. This could surely play a stepping stone, just as reverse engineering did for China.

However, the core of R&D to me is:

1. A culture of innovation, out of the box thinking, research
2. An education that emphasizes the same and not rote learning alone.
3. Technical universities that teach real research and train real researchers
4. A military industrial complex that is run on the basis of technical capability and merit, not one run by retired / semi-retired military officers or by corrupt cronies.
5. An effort to constantly improve products and progress rather than like the Anza or the Bakhtar Shikan, which were ultimately R&D dead ends.
6. A meaningful relationship and back and forth with the customer and their needs, and feedback on how those needs have, or have not been fulfilled.
7. Investment of $$$. But good R&D pays for itself, as we can see in Israel and in South Africa.

Thank you so much Sir for your reply, BAe does seem to have close relationships with Turkey.

We've seen China get a foothold on military equipment manufacture via reverse engineering and we are seeing Turkey using a more forthright strategy of buying what we call "white box solutions" in the commercial sector. This could surely play a stepping stone, just as reverse engineering did for China.

However, the core of R&D to me is:

1. A culture of innovation, out of the box thinking, research
2. An education that emphasizes the same and not rote learning alone.
3. Technical universities that teach real research and train real researchers
4. A military industrial complex that is run on the basis of technical capability and merit, not one run by retired / semi-retired military officers or by corrupt cronies.
5. An effort to constantly improve products and progress rather than like the Anza or the Bakhtar Shikan, which were ultimately R&D dead ends.
6. A meaningful relationship and back and forth with the customer and their needs, and feedback on how those needs have, or have not been fulfilled.
7. Investment of $$$. But good R&D pays for itself, as we can see in Israel and in South Africa.

What Turkey is doing is a model for any country to follow. Interestingly, the path of Turkey and Pakistan, past or future is not the same. However, both will benefit tremendously from each other.

That was a fallacy and a mismanagement, Turkey is more than capable to produce a car of her own, including the transmission and the engine.

Just for your information, SAAB platform was purchased so that it be used as a test vehicle for the development of the components for Turkey's national car project. This was explained thoroughly in Turkish media, so, don't know how you missed it.

Last edited:
Which were other bidders in bidding process details please with their respective products

PN knoes best ,, but there is nit much difference in LF 2400 and ADA .... If LF 2400 choose PN got good multirole coverrte for peace and war time ... But may be due to economic issues , and saving money ...
Hope for best .. might they also upgraded in future

So a few things i just want everyone to be on the same page about.

ADA does not have a VLS nor does it appear to have the room for one in its current configuration. If PNs MILGEM does get a VLS it will be one of the modified designs like LF-2400 or I-Class. The standard SAM for the ADA is the RIM-116 RAM which likely won't be sold to Pakistan.

The options for air defense will be
1. FL-3000N (9km range, likely 21 cells)

2. Gun style CIWS (phalanx vs type 730/1130, AK630). I Dont see Pakistan going for Korkut given its trying to save cost and already operates the other 3 types.

3. combo ciws/pdms.
- The Type730/1130 can fit 6 HQ-10/FL-3000N missiles (9km range)

- Pantsir M which which takes twin gatling cannon of the Kashtan and fits 8 Pantsir 57e6-e missiles (20km range)

4. Modified ADA. The ADA is meant to house a medium lift ASW chopper like the SH-60 sea-hawk. IF PN utilized a smaller ASW chopper like Z-9c it could theoretically modify the front of the hangar with an 8 cell vls. The Z-9 is 7m shorter than the SeaHawk so the saved space is there.

Hq-10 / FL 3000 with 24 cell/Missile

IMG_0416.JPG

So a few things i just want everyone to be on the same page about.

ADA does not have a VLS nor does it appear to have the room for one in its current configuration. If PNs MILGEM does get a VLS it will be one of the modified designs like LF-2400 or I-Class. The standard SAM for the ADA is the RIM-116 RAM which likely won't be sold to Pakistan.

The options for air defense will be
1. FL-3000N (9km range, likely 21 cells)

2. Gun style CIWS (phalanx vs type 730/1130, AK630). I Dont see Pakistan going for Korkut given its trying to save cost and already operates the other 3 types.

3. combo ciws/pdms.
- The Type730/1130 can fit 6 HQ-10/FL-3000N missiles (9km range)

- Pantsir M which which takes twin gatling cannon of the Kashtan and fits 8 Pantsir 57e6-e missiles (20km range)

4. Modified ADA. The ADA is meant to house a medium lift ASW chopper like the SH-60 sea-hawk. IF PN utilized a smaller ASW chopper like Z-9c it could theoretically modify the front of the hangar with an 8 cell vls. The Z-9 is 7m shorter than the SeaHawk so the saved space is there.

i think #1 and #4 make sense without any considerable mods to the system. may be 8-12 cell VLS Ly80E plus a CIWS 1130 instead of RAM will just do it. in compensation have a smaller Heli Hanger for Z-9 type helicopter.

7 meter means it can accommodate a good 6 X 4 configuration of LY80

in all reality, a 12 cell or 16 cell will just do it while sacrificing bigger hanger to trade for smaller Z-9

According to the final agreement, two ships will be built in Istanbul and two in Karachi. Two of the corvettes will join the Pakistan Naval Forces in 2023 and the other will be commissioned in 2024.

The first ship will be constructed in 54 months and the remaining will be built in 60, 66 and 72 months, respectively.

The corvettes, which can cruise uninterrupted for 15 days, will be 99.56 meters long and 14.42 meters wide with a maximum speed of 26 knots.

The deal also includes the sharing of engineering information and training program for engineers.

Back
Top Bottom