What's new

Pakistan-Turkey 4 Milgem Ada Class Corvettes Contract - Construction started

Ideally quad pack and upto 32 missiles would have been great. 12 missiles are just very few. But I think that route is gone now. and at this stage its too much to ask for all this modifications. Perhaps 15-20 years later for MLU. However, hope they go for atleast 32 missile config for JCF.
Ideally they will use the AS3600 as basis for JCF which would give tremendous flexibility in a small"ish" platform.

A rough check on the top down image shows that 4 mildas cells (on the Istanbul class) are roughly the same footprint as 6 GWS.35 Cells. If the Turks can arrange for 4 cell modules of MILDAS, and Pakistan can get CAMM-ER certified to fire from MILDAS (with MBDA/Italian permission), then these could eventually see an exchange for 8 cells on Baburs and allow for 32 quad packed CAMM-ER.
Ideally quad pack and upto 32 missiles would have been great. 12 missiles are just very few. But I think that route is gone now. and at this stage its too much to ask for all this modifications. Perhaps 15-20 years later for MLU. However, hope they go for atleast 32 missile config for JCF.
$$$ VLS is not cheap. GWS prob the cheapest solution out there for VLS. Each MK41 Cell costs 500,000. 32 cells= $16 million. VLS alone. Then they need to be equipped. Sylver is even more expensive than mk41 and i expect mildas to be even more expensive than both.

$$$ VLS is not cheap. GWS prob the cheapest solution out there for VLS. Each MK41 Cell costs 500,000. 32 cells= $16 million. VLS alone. Then they need to be equipped. Sylver is even more expensive than mk41 and i expect mildas to be even more expensive than both.
We should also keep in mind that a ship has a long, multi-decade lifecycle. In about 15-20 years, the PN will visit the idea of giving these and other ships a mid-life-update; at that point, it's easier to absorb the costs of new weapon systems as a lot of the initial costs by that point will have been paid off.

We should also keep in mind that a ship has a long, multi-decade lifecycle. In about 15-20 years, the PN will visit the idea of giving these and other ships a mid-life-update; at that point, it's easier to absorb the costs of new weapon systems as a lot of the initial costs by that point will have been paid off.

Agreed. Im not suggesting turning around and doing it tomorrow. But food for the future. The other situation is the CIWS. I had been confident that the Gokdeniz or other CIWS was going to be installed soon along with other weapons, but have started to wonder if the reason for not having one installed yet is that perhaps PN is forgoing a gun bases CIWS an instead waiting for Aselsan Goksur or Roketsan Levent to become available. Reportedly rhe Goksur uses the same base/internal machinery as the Gokdeniz so all of that could be installed already and they are waiting for the actual system to be test/certified and installed. Would go a long way in adding protection when the ship carries only 12 SAM currently. Would double the SAMs and if the Bozdogan has anywhere near the capabilities shown by IRIS-T in Ukraine, it should provide capable backup defense behind CAMM-ER (though i think Ukraine is using IRIS-T SLM which is longer range than Bozdogan)

Babur class will not carry 10 ton heli but 5 ton class.Is 5 ton class heli can carry lightweight torpedo,otherwise anti sub capability could be reduced
Leonardo marketed the AW159 to the PN, but I think the PN could look at some original solution, possibly based on the Chinese Z-9 (e.g., some modifications to the subsystems).

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom