What's new

Pakistan to get more SAAB 2000 Erieyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep so basically ISTAR for the ground is mostly in the hands of the PA (if we account for EO/IR-equipped Hercs and Falcos), and the PAF is focusing most of its ISTAR on the air.

IIRC, Even in those Hercs, it is Army guys who operate the equipment, pilots of C-130 are from PAF only. And for Ground Surveillance, PAF does has its needs but those needs are being fulfilled through DB-110 and data linked Sniper Pods sending info back to HQ . I dont know if DB-110 can datalink the info back to Ground stations. So PAF wont need the urge to spend money of SRSS solution for now.

1). Wasnt ZDK designed to talk to Vipers via Erieye ? Direct contact was never possible from the onset. Your statement has multiple inferences. It's up to you whether you wanna explain or not. Either Link-17 in ZDK is not upto mark, or Link-17 is not installed in erieye and erieye is talking to all in Link-16.

2.) It got me thinking, The initial requirement of PAF was 5 or 6 Erieyes initially which they scaled down to 4. Is this kind up of a followup order because funds has become available to them.

3.) Look post#40. Looks like PAF is bringing Erieye to original strength envisioned earlier in 2006 before they reduced the numbers due to earthquake. So PAF is going for older (or existing) version of Erieye

Since it is PAF shopping. Not the PA or not PA sharing the funds per se with PAF on this acquisition. Or AFAIK, there is no PAF-PA policy on such kind of asset sharing where PAF controllers from air can guide PA troops on ground. Hence PAF would not consider spending money on some asset until such Policy, asset sharing and basic C&C is setup.

King Air is sole responsibility of PA. It is PA Signint or Avaition group controllers who are guiding PA troops on ground.
1)Nope, original plan was always get ZdK to talk to ground, combine data and then transmit to assets. It could talk to JF-17 difectly through link-17.
Erieye does not have link-17.

2) that was always the plan, same as with the F-16. Its not a year to year basis plan, its 10 years or five years.

3)no proof to suggest that is true or false, mere speculation is not a good idea.

You have a friend who dreams of Euro Fighter, Hazrat @Zarvan

Well originally I used to dream of Rafale but Indians are clearly clever. Gave French a lollipop for 126 jets and settled on 36.
PAF should also try such tricks.
I see India trying to block the Swedish channel (for Pakistan) in future.
If Gripen doesn't go through than possibly a submarine deal.

1)Nope, original plan was always get ZdK to talk to ground, combine data and then transmit to assets. It could talk to JF-17 difectly through link-17.
Erieye does not have link-17.

2) that was always the plan, same as with the F-16. Its not a year to year basis plan, its 10 years or five years.

3)no proof to suggest that is true or false, mere speculation is not a good idea.

Is it possible to link two AWAC's platform ? I.e , can Erieye share data with ZKD to communicate with JF's and other ground assets using link-17 ?

Pakistan air space has been divided into 3 sectors each sector needs to be fully covered by AWACS as both eastern and western sides needs full attention. If each sector requires average of 3 aircrafts then nine are total requirement. Now if the sea sector had made more demand than usual then for full coverage need more time for each aircraft or more aircrafts. So there's a demand inplace and new purchase is a stop gap measure.

Well originally I used to dream of Rafale but Indians are clearly clever. Gave French a lollipop for 126 jets and settled on 36.
PAF should also try such tricks.
I see India trying to block the Swedish channel (for Pakistan) in future.
If Gripen doesn't go through than possibly a submarine deal.
Why go for such expensive planes when chinese are offering their top of the line j10 and j20 at cheap rates ?

Why go for such expensive planes when chinese are offering their top of the line j10 and j20 at cheap rates ?

well we do need a 4.5 gen heavyweight fighter to fill the gap

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom