What's new

Pakistan to get more SAAB 2000 Erieyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If PAF goes for the Global Eye then it will two packages in one and the need for a standalone ATOR wont be needed. It is a big IF PAF chooses this.

globaleye-system-overview_2.jpg
let the Emiraties test it first and then maybe...

hopefully its this :-)
it's not... the G600

I thought it was the UAE, but AFM indicates it to be Pakistan.

Sweden probably extended a fresh loan or the PAF is paying in stages, with the first payment being $134m US.

Not sure about that, please see below:

"Saab issued a press release on May 15 announcing that it had signed an AEW&C contract worth SEK 1.35bn (£120m), with deliveries being made from 2017 until 2020. It will not disclose the customer, as is its usual policy, but it is likely this is the same deal."

It talks about the value of the contract, not the initial payment.

Can the Erierye be configured on Antonov planes?

I am more excited because it shows that SAAB don't have any issues selling us weapons. Because after first 4 there were reports that SAAB may not sell us any more weapons but now it seem they have changed the policy. So I am hoping that Army will consider these also

carl_gustaf_m4_l1.jpg

Well, that remains to be seen. Sweden is very India centric. This is a country that has no issues with pitching offensive weapons to India, but Pakistan is a different story. They gave us these platforms under the garb of defensive weapons, but we all know how true that claim is.

It really remains to be seen if this deal could materialize, but it would be good nonetheless. We don't question the capabilities of these AWACS aircraft.

I would have rather Pakistan going for something Chinese. The Chinese alternatives can be tailor-made to Pakistan's wishes. No doubt. The Chinese have come a very long way with their radars. We all know that.

Last edited:
@MastanKhan's gonna say, "this is the PAF's revenge for the ZDK03----they hate the country--with this money even one F-35 would have been more valuable----"

Hi,

I am going to up date my comments---.

It is not a revenge per say---but it is the proper way to do it---.

Just like I stated in the past---the best way to get the F16 BLK 52 from the U S was to get the chinese J10's---a 20 of them on a lease would have done the job.

You have to remember---if they produce---they have to sell---. If they are facing objections from their public---you have to GIVE THEM WAYS to overcome that objection.

Before the ZDK's---the swedes stated they won't sell to us anymore---okay. But now with the ZDK's in service---they can tell their public---Pak already has a similar system in place---if we won't do it---someone else will.

So the swedes are not doing anything that would change the balance of power in the region---.

You have to know and feel the temperature and mood of the selling nation and you need to " set them up right " to ask them for the product---so that they cannot refuse you---.

It is the worst thing that you can tell them that the J10 is no good and we love the F16 and cannot live without it---.

We must not forget that fundamental fact----there are those on the other side who like us and want to do business with us---and then there are those who do not like us.

So---in order for us to get the job done right---we need to set up the stage right for those who want to help us---give them ways and means---excuses and reasons why they should sell us---even though we know that they are making money on us---but still---this is a game that needs to be played for the consumer---for the seller---for the audience.

Last edited:
Not putting money into Upgrading ZDK-03 to KJ-500 standard and going to the same spec Erieye which Pakistan is having instead of going for the Upgraded one with 70 % percent more range indicates

1.) Pakistan is not at all satisfied with Chinese AWAC and ZDK-03 was forced down the throat of PAF. All the unofficial reports of ZDK-03 has a greater range than Erieye was just a hogwash

2) ZDK-03 does not provide the Same ECCM/ESM sensors that Erieye is providing

3). Pakistan doesnot have money to buy upgraded SAAB, hence keeping to the same one that they bought 10 years ago.

Either your claims are true or Pakistan is opting for greater numbers and hopefully diversifying in addition to the Chinese alternative. I hope it is the last part that is true.

Hi,

I am going to up date my comments---.

It is not a revenge per say---but it is the proper way to do it---.

Just like I stated in the past---the best way to get the F16 BLK 52 from the U S was to get the chinese J10's---a 20 of them on a lease would have done the job.

You have to remember---if they produce---they have to sell---. If they are facing objections from their public---you have to GIVE THEM WAYS to overcome that objection.

Before the ZDK's---the swedes stated they won't sell to us anymore---okay. But now with the ZDK's in service---they can tell their public---Pak already has a similar system in place---if we won't do it---someone else will.

So the swedes are not doing anything that would change the balance of power in the region---.

You have to know and feel the temperature and mood of the selling nation and you need to " set them up right " to ask them for the product---so that they cannot refuse you---.

It is the worst thing that you can tell them that the J10 is no good and we love the F16 and cannot live without it---.

I mean to say---what level of stupidity is this---how stupid someone has to be to say that to a seller---I would say beyond dumb dumber dumbest.

I can't agree more with this post. It hits the nail on its head.

We are not good at gauging the temperature and mood of the seller. Our past history of acquisitions clearly lays this bare unfortunately. It is not always about the greatest and best. You have to sacrifice in some areas to gain in others.

Theoretically it can. But the problem is PAF or PA has not indicated any interest for airborne ground surveillance platforms. PAF focus for last 10 years is solely on AEWC element.

Sweden is offering GSR element with their latest iteration of AEWC. If PAF is not picking up this element, then we can guess the mood and interest of Pakistan defence forces.
Keep in mind the SRSS/GlobalEye's ISTAR element comes from a ground-facing SAR. Pakistan already deploys ground-facing SAR via the King Air.
Not sure about that, please see below:

"Saab issued a press release on May 15 announcing that it had signed an AEW&C contract worth SEK 1.35bn (£120m), with deliveries being made from 2017 until 2020. It will not disclose the customer, as is its usual policy, but it is likely this is the same deal."

It talks about the value of the contract, not the initial payment.
The PAF slotting for 3 Erieye doesn't necessarily mean it will order all three at once - the £120m order could be for one system. In the coming months and years the PAF could issue additional orders. This is what I meant by staging the acquisition.

1) No, but ZDK is having talking issues with the vipers. The SAAB is talking to everyone because the swedes helped out.

2)possibly, the ZDK has longer coverage but a slower scan.ESM was never its strong suite.

3)baseless. What is upgraded and not upgraded, please advise.

1). Wasnt ZDK designed to talk to Vipers via Erieye ? Direct contact was never possible from the onset. Your statement has multiple inferences. It's up to you whether you wanna explain or not. Either Link-17 in ZDK is not upto mark, or Link-17 is not installed in erieye and erieye is talking to all in Link-16.

2.) It got me thinking, The initial requirement of PAF was 5 or 6 Erieyes initially which they scaled down to 4. Is this kind up of a followup order because funds has become available to them.

3.) Look post#40. Looks like PAF is bringing Erieye to original strength envisioned earlier in 2006 before they reduced the numbers due to earthquake. So PAF is going for older (or existing) version of Erieye

Keep in mind the SRSS/GlobalEye's ISTAR element comes from a ground-facing SAR. Pakistan already deploys ground-facing SAR via the King Air.

The PAF slotting for 3 Erieye doesn't necessarily mean it will order all three at once - the £120m order could be for one system. In the coming months and years the PAF could issue additional orders. This is what I meant by staging the acquisition.

Since it is PAF shopping. Not the PA or not PA sharing the funds per se with PAF on this acquisition. Or AFAIK, there is no PAF-PA policy on such kind of asset sharing where PAF controllers from air can guide PA troops on ground. Hence PAF would not consider spending money on some asset until such Policy, asset sharing and basic C&C is setup.

King Air is sole responsibility of PA. It is PA Signint or Avaition group controllers who are guiding PA troops on ground.

Looks like an opportunist purchase. SAAB may have overstock or redundant stock and getting rid at low low price.

May be for Muslim NATO :s hopes its for PAF.

Since it is PAF shopping. Not the PA or not PA sharing the funds per se with PAF on this acquisition. Or AFAIK, there is no PAF-PA policy on such kind of asset sharing where PAF controllers from air can guide PA troops on ground. Hence PAF would not consider spending money on some asset until such Policy, asset sharing and basic C&C is setup.

King Air is sole responsibility of PA. It is PA Signint or Avaition group controllers who are guiding PA troops on ground.
Yep so basically ISTAR for the ground is mostly in the hands of the PA (if we account for EO/IR-equipped Hercs and Falcos), and the PAF is focusing most of its ISTAR on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom