What's new

Pakistan tests first locally-built helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual this thread has been dragged into a measuring contest by our neighbors..we did this better etc etc....real mature.

The designer grp capt Mujeeb has worked on UAV's before this.
The pilot too Mr rehan..has quite a few hours on autogyro's.
This machine was built locally including the engine..which puts out 125hp..
a bigger engine is already present..all are rotary designs.
There is a two seater attack variant with a cobra style enclosed canopy, a four seater and one with hovering capability all ready to fly.
Endurance is around 3 hours or so..more with extra fuel tanks.
The one you saw flying can carry a a fully equipped trooper with his .50 cal and still climb to 17000ft.
This can be converted to a UCAV..and the design is scalable..so a version with upto six seats can be built.

p.s..
the reason it took three tries to take off was due to crappy fuel.. which was "donated" by a pump owner..
There was a rehearsal flight before that.. the fuel was from another station..and it took off in 50ft..went to 15k..can landed on the dot.

As usual this thread has been dragged into a measuring contest by our neighbors..we did this better etc etc....real mature.

There is a two seater attack variant with a cobra style enclosed canopy, a four seater and one with hovering capability all ready to fly.
The one you saw flying can carry a a fully equipped trooper with his .50 cal and still climb to 17000ft.
This can be converted to a UCAV..and the design is scalable..so a version with upto six seats can be built.

p.s..
the reason it took three tries to take off was due to crappy fuel.. which was "donated" by a pump owner..
There was a rehearsal flight before that.. the fuel was from another station..and it took off in 50ft..went to 15k..can landed on the dot.

Awesome... Thanks for clearing the doubts in many minds with your explanation.

BTW do you have that video footage of better flight?

This came once again as a shocker because there wasn't any talk about it in the media..Much like our endeavor of nukes and JF-17. Infact the media was talking about acquiring cobras from USA and T-129 from Turkey.

Pakistan should look forward for joint production with talented Islamic countries like Turkey, Azerbaijan, Iran, Malaysia, Indonesia to take advantage of economic of scale and cut down cost further while improving R/D and quality advantage.

Awesome... Thanks for clearing the doubts in many minds with your explanation.

BTW do you have that video footage of better flight?

Im afraid not.. I should have.. but there were so many people making it. I did not.
It was flown out of an under construction housing society(looking for it got me into an encounter with an angry cow who decided to take a few swipes at my car).
Also..and this I request from Indian members..
the makers claim the Indian military has ordered autogyro's from a canadian company.. something I could not find anywhere.
Any news..because I take that claim now with a pinch of salt..
I know these guys sell the craft.. but nothing on the IA being involved or anybody else.
http://www.microlight.in/index_files/goflyschool.html

p.s..

now thats some thing interested i like it they are working and improving it. and the test was to check design and engine not ready copter great:tup::tup::tup:

Im afraid not.. I should have.. but there were so many people making it. I did not.
It was flown out of an under construction housing society(looking for it got me into an encounter with an angry cow who decided to take a few swipes at my car).
Also..and this I request from Indian members..
the makers claim the Indian military has ordered autogyro's from a canadian company.. something I could not find anywhere.
Any news..because I take that claim now with a pinch of salt..
I know these guys sell the craft.. but nothing on the IA being involved or anybody else.
Go Fly School - for Microlight Pilot Licence in India

Thanks for the Information sir... Please if U are In a Position to take a Picture of that or a Video , please dont forget to share it with us...

copter cost?
Pakistan has the know how, we are making Mushshak, its not rocket science to design/develop a light chopper under $0.1M dollars infact much cheaper price tag.
It is true that Pakistan has been exploring market for such helicopters for export to nations.

If you ask me future looks very promising as santro explained we can get a pie of world light helicopter exports for civil or military purposes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Information sir... Please if U are In a Position to take a Picture of that or a Video , please dont forget to share it with us...

I do have a picture somewhere in a camera of it sitting in a garage.. ill look around for it if I can find it.
The thing about autogyro's is.. complexity wize..they are what the moped is to the car...
Yet... the cost for a four seater example is not more than 18 lac rupees..
the maintenance costs for it are similar to a pickup truck..
and it runs on normal petrol.. lots of it everywhere!
And its versatility is more than a chopper...specifically.. if one leaves the load carrying capacity..then not only do they fly longer than an aircraft..they have a more flexible speed range..more maneuverable..and can take of and land in the same space as a helicopter.

I do have a picture somewhere in a camera of it sitting in a garage.. ill look around for it if I can find it.
The thing about autogyro's is.. complexity wize..they are what the moped is to the car...
And its versatility is more than a chopper...specifically.. if one leaves the load carrying capacity..then not only do they fly longer than an aircraft..they have a more flexible speed range..more maneuverable..and can take of and land in the same space as a helicopter.

Excuse my ignorance but how can the gyro copters take off from the same space as a heli when it needs a runway?

Wonderful.... I like it.... And In Pakistan are they allowed to fly a Machine without proper Airworthy certificates?? Or are they doing it after that???

Anyways I would Like to see More of these, I always wanted a Personal Flying machine which costs not more than 5 to 6 lakhs, I know I am Bit Stingy but hey thats more than Enough for Gyrocopters I guess:D, Whats Your take??

Arab news
Pakistan tests first locally-built helicopter

By AZHAR MASOOD | ARAB NEWS

Published: Dec 15, 2010 20:56 Updated: Dec 15, 2010 20:56

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Wednesday successfully conducted flight of its first locally-manufactured two-seater helicopter.

Three engineers from Rawalpindi Mujibur Rehman, Rehan Janjua and Shakir Ayub,designed the helicopter capable of flying at the height of 17,000 feet with a top speed of 190 kph.

Private sector engineers plan to go for serial production of the helicopter. “We plan to develop the helicopter for ambulance and security operations”, said Mujibur Rehman Khan, a retired air force officer.

“Traditional helicopters have a stick-to-head, a mechanical system, so when the pilot moves the stick a mechanical system moves the push-pull rods on the rotor system.

“We have a fly-by-wire system, where the control of the pilot goes into the electronics of the aircraft and then ultimately moves the swash plate or the control rod servos. It's like driving a car with a joystick rather than a steering wheel.”

The helicopter has been built at the cost of nine million rupees. “We have a plan to build 80 helicopters, which we intend to sell to public sector forces,” he added.

© 2010 Arab News

To answer both the above..
Autogyro's can perform what is called a Jump takeoff..
in which the rotors are spun faster than the usual RPM at zero incidence..
at a present RPM..the pilot changes the pitch..and voila.. just like a normal chopper.. the autogyro literally jumps into the air.(check youtube for videos..lots of em out there).

The airworthiness certificate is needed for private and commercial operators intending to use public airports. This craft has its airworthiness certificate by the CAA pending..which is why the flight was carried out in the remote areas around rawalpindi..away from populated areas..and away from civil or military air traffic.
Once the certificate comes in..future flights will be from Qasim Base in Rawalpindi.

Stick to the topic and offer constructive comments only please. The thread is down to 4 pages from 9 after deletion of all the trolling and nonsensical posts.

Some of you are lucky not to get banned outright - that won't happen again.

If its an autogyro,it will be better than a Heli in many ways...Needless to mention that autogyros were built and put to service before helis were there...Short take off and landing..Excellent handling at very low speeds..Much lower maintainable and operating cost compared to a Heli.
No hovering ability though.

Here is good comparison of Autogyro and Helicopter.

YouTube - Autogyro beats Helicopter for small VTOL Missions dynmicpara

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom