What's new

Pakistan successfully test-fired ballistic missile Ghauri Hataf-V

Shaheen-III Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV)

Pakistan began to concentrate to developed its first SLV in sometime in 1998. On March 2001, Science Advisor to the President Abdul Qadeer Khan publicly announced that Pakistani aerospace scientists were in the general process of building the country's first Expendable Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV) and that the project had been assigned to SUPARCO, which also built the Badr satellites.

Abdul Qadeer Khan also cited the fact that India had made rapid advances in launch technology and satellite manufacture as another motivation for developing an indigenous launch capabilities. Abdul Majid, then-chairman of SUPARCO, confirmed Khan's statement and said "Pakistan envision a low-cost SLV and Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) inroder to launch light-weight satellite into low-earth orbits. Abdul Qadeer Khan also added that" Pakistan has very robust IRBMs which can launch geostationary orbiting satellites. All Pakistan has to do is to erase Delhi or Kolkota from the target and point it towards the sky. Instead of Hydrogen bombs and Atomic bombs the missiles can easily carry a payload of a satellite".

In March 2005, President General Musharraf authorized renewed research and development on an indigenous launch capability, which would be able to orbit a planned domestically built satellite, the PAKSAT-IR. During the IDEAS 2002 defense exhibition Pakdef spotted two similar models of Pakistani Satellite Launch Vehicles.

The first model points out a possible three stage of Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV). Judging from other similar SLV's, it is estimated that it can place a payload weighing around 80–100 kilogram to an orbit 450–490 kilometers above Earth's surface. However the exact data remains unknown. The second model of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) seems similar to the first model however, with four extra boosters. Many nations with SLV technology developed boosters based on their missile technology. Therefore it is fair to assume that the boosters on the second model might also be based on one of Pakistan's ballistic missiles.

Iran and Pakistan are racing towards space. On January 2004 Iranian authorities reported that their indigenous SLV will soon place a satellite in orbit. While Pakistan, on the other hand, plans to launch an SLV within the next five years. The exact nature of Pakistan’s SLV program remains unknown. However, judging from Pakistan’s ballistic missile technology, it can be said that Pakistan Government and Suparco might just be waiting for the right moment to test Pakistan’s first satellite launch vehicle.

On August 2006, after Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz's official visit to People's Republic of China, Prime Minister Aziz called a meeting of SUPARCO's scientists and engineers, where Prime Minister was briefed by SUPARCO's scientist on the status of the both SLV and PSLV programmes. However, the status of SLV and PSLV are remained unclear.

now China making a setlite for pakistan which will work in the end of 2011 and will provide navigation and other comunication,,
We proude to have friend like China..........

Unlike cruise missiles...Ballistic missiles dont need pin point accuracy..Specially Nuclear war heads are to hit large targets...so any guidance system will do,dont need GPS..today's ring laser gyroscope based Inertial nav systems are good enough for a ballistic missile..Any GPS receiver in such missiles is only secondary and to cross referrence the position calculated by INS.
Cruise missiles are different..they do need pin point accuracy..but at the same time they are not as fast as a Ballistic missile,and can make corrections by cross refferencing with the land marks and terrain recognition...and to identify target a good latest photograph by intelligence sources will be enough..Not too much need of GPS..so there you go.

IRS and GPS work simultaneously in a Ballistic missiles what Pakistan has .
In the first stage of your Missiles the IRS processed output of Position vectors and orientation are compared with the GPS data and then it navigates the missile.
wht ever happens without GPS it happen during second stage, to increase the reliability, but again its crossed checked with GPS to rectify the drift errors and correct the absolute position, though IRS is the basic navigator.

Last edited:
IRS and GPS work simultaneously in a Ballistic missiles what Pakistan has .
In the first stage of your Missiles the IRS processed output of Position vectors and orientation are compared with the GPS data and then it navigates the missile.
wht ever happens without GPS it happen during second stage, to increase the reliability, but again its crossed checked with GPS to rectify the drift errors and correct the absolute position, though IRS is the basic navigator.

Pakistan does not uses GPS in its ballistic or cruise missiles at any stage, GPS is a threat for our assets, thus we can not expose our strategic assets to the US bases GPS system, plz read my previous post and especially the link given in that, it may give you an idea how even ballistic missiles can work without using GPS system, leaving aside cruise missiles which are good at using the GIS system for its navigation and guidance.

Great accomplishment keep developing ballistic missile tech.

well i wont deny that we did not have the scout rocket world knows it, the americans and russians had V2. ...
Your post was denying the fact that there were very visible commonalities between the two Indian programmes. Otherwise, I'm not criticizing India for having done this - others did too, we have a steady line of Atlases, Titans, Protons, Shavits and Satans delivering satellites, and so may the Indian-modified Scout.

Your post was denying the fact that there were very visible commonalities between the two Indian programmes. Otherwise, I'm not criticizing India for having done this - others did too, we have a steady line of Atlases, Titans, Protons, Shavits and Satans delivering satellites, and so may the Indian-modified Scout.

see once you the technology how to launch a rocket its obvious that you will make missiles, but there are many things to be taken care of while building a missile. Plus the equipments we buy or we produce for space programs are not used in Defense

Its just like having a nuclear program run separately both for civil purposes and weapon. we can get a compact reactor for producing electricity but if we put it in our submarine than its a catastrophe. We never do that. In that case we have to build our own by any means. And that's case of missiles.

Last edited:
////////////////
post deleted

Last edited:
Pakistan does not uses GPS in its ballistic or cruise missiles at any stage, GPS is a threat for our assets, thus we can not expose our strategic assets to the US bases GPS system, plz read my previous post and especially the link given in that, it may give you an idea how even ballistic missiles can work without using GPS system, leaving aside cruise missiles which are good at using the GIS system for its navigation and guidance.

I am sorry Taimi..i have to disagree with you..Pakistan does not use GPS,because we don't have access to the military version of GPS signal..Thats scrambled and we don't have the special receivers or the code for decoding the military signal from GPS satellites..
GPS system is transmit only System and no data is ever transmitted to the satellite by the user...So they wont know who is using their signal..Although i am not sure about how the military GPS works,that may have a mode of communication between GPS receiver and satellite as the system detects jamming and then shifts frequency..that means the receiver does communicate with satellite...and that will tell them the whereabouts of our missiles...But as i said ia m not sure.

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2010

Jane's Defence Weekly

Pakistan test-fires medium-range ballistic missile

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent - Islamabad

Pakistan carried out another test of its medium-range ballistic missile known as 'Hatf-5' or 'Ghauri' on 21 December, reconfirming the "operational readiness" of the army's strategic forces, officials said.

The test of the missile, which has a range of 1,300 km, was carried out from an undisclosed location and was watched by Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani. "This capability forms the bedrock of Pakistan's security policy and will continue to be enhanced," Gilani said in a statement released by the Pakistan Army.

A Western diplomat in Islamabad said there was nothing unusual about the test but that its timing could be significant after recent high-profile visits to India by Western leaders, including US President Barack Obama.

"The signal from the Pakistanis is obviously 'You [India and the West] can have large defence contracts for conventional hardware sales, but Pakistan remains able and willing to defend itself'," the diplomat said.

ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2010

Jane's Defence Weekly

Pakistan test-fires medium-range ballistic missile

Farhan Bokhari JDW Correspondent - Islamabad

Pakistan carried out another test of its medium-range ballistic missile known as 'Hatf-5' or 'Ghauri' on 21 December, reconfirming the "operational readiness" of the army's strategic forces, officials said.

The test of the missile, which has a range of 1,300 km, was carried out from an undisclosed location and was watched by Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani. "This capability forms the bedrock of Pakistan's security policy and will continue to be enhanced," Gilani said in a statement released by the Pakistan Army.

A Western diplomat in Islamabad said there was nothing unusual about the test but that its timing could be significant after recent high-profile visits to India by Western leaders, including US President Barack Obama.

"The signal from the Pakistanis is obviously 'You [India and the West] can have large defence contracts for conventional hardware sales, but Pakistan remains able and willing to defend itself'," the diplomat said.

i dont agree, why would pakistan be so impatient to show its aggression.
Pakistan is only replying to our missile launches. :bounce:

I am sorry Taimi..i have to disagree with you..Pakistan does not use GPS,because we don't have access to the military version of GPS signal..Thats scrambled and we don't have the special receivers or the code for decoding the military signal from GPS satellites..
GPS system is transmit only System and no data is ever transmitted to the satellite by the user...So they wont know who is using their signal..Although i am not sure about how the military GPS works,that may have a mode of communication between GPS receiver and satellite as the system detects jamming and then shifts frequency..that means the receiver does communicate with satellite...and that will tell them the whereabouts of our missiles...But as i said ia m not sure.

I believe i did said, we don't use GPS is in our systems, as its unreliable due to the fact that its controlled by the US and they can shut off the service to any selected area or hot spot or where war is happening, plus, they can find the assets if its equipped with a GPS and is receiving data. How do things are tracked through GPS, becoz they send back data too, thus we can identify the GPS signal which is coming from a device. And civilian receivers can be used in military applications, provided they don't violate the below given rule:

" The U.S. Government controls the export of some civilian receivers. All GPS receivers capable of functioning above 18 kilometers (11 mi) altitude and 515 metres per second (1,001 kn)[27] are classified as munitions (weapons) that U.S. State Department export licenses are required. These limits attempt to prevent use of a receiver in a ballistic missile. They would not prevent use in a cruise missile because their altitudes and speeds are similar to those of ordinary aircraft. "

So due to the above reason, civilian devices can be used in military applications by countries which can't have access to the military code, provided the weapon is not ballistic missile or violating the above rule, cruise missiles, JDAMs or other stuff can be used with civilian stuff. If military code is restricted, how come China is making or making available JDAMs with GPS receivers, they are using the civilian devices, not military ones.

So, i can assure you, we are not using GPS systems in our missiles.

i dont agree, why would pakistan be so impatient to show its aggression.
Pakistan is only replying to our missile launches. :bounce:

Pakistan is not replying to any missile launch of India, had it been replying, we would have been testing something new, test launching an already proven or inducted missile is not replying back or showing aggression.

The launch was for operational requirements, where such launches are held every yeah, multiple number of times to test the operational readiness of the operational missiles. Few months back also, we tested 2 of the operational missiles with the Strategic Forces Command, its part of the normal routine.

Plus, as for the US related comments in the article, the US president has gone back nearly a month back, we don't need to show anything to anyone, had it been the case, it would have been done during or just after his visit, but since it was not the case, we did the test as per our own requirements.

In past also, India has tested many time their missiles, with no replies from our side, thus its not a tit for tat contest.

Ballistic missiles tend to not use GPS. Almost all modern (eg. minuteman III) ballistic missiles use inertial and ground/optical based navigation systems. GPS systems are vulnerable in the event of war hence they are not activated.

Back
Top Bottom