What's new

Pakistan orders Dutch OPV (1,900 tons, 90 m). To be built at KSEW

It may not look like this but same capabilities anti air anti surface and support for upto 11 Ton heli so sea king etc

Sea King can provide anti ship and anti sub limited strike capability. But for anti air pn would need missiles like dual tetral or sidral system or may be a single fl3000n 24 cell from China

The OPVs are being bought for "anti surface [and] anti air operations, maritime security operations, day [and] night helicopter operations, combat search and rescue, and surveillance and intelligence gathering operations.”

If we look at the complete statement, they're not meant for engaging ships or aircraft but to bolster the PN's sea policing capabilities, e.g. counter-terrorism, stopping smuggling and trafficking, etc. In wartime, these OPVs will be deployed to guard against asymmetrical threats, combat search-and-rescue (CSAR) and ISR.

I don't think the PN intends to arm these Damen OPVs with anti-ship missiles (AShM) or surface-to-air missiles (SAM). That might sound disappointing, but remember - these OPVs will will free AShM-armed FACs and frigates and corvettes to fully focus on anti-ship missions.

That said, while it is unlikely these OPVs will be armed with AShM and SAMs, I do think we might see the PN (at least in the long-term) equip them with radars and SIGINT/ELINT equipment.

The OPVs are being bought for "anti surface [and] anti air operations, maritime security operations, day [and] night helicopter operations, combat search and rescue, and surveillance and intelligence gathering operations.”

If we look at the complete statement, they're not meant for engaging ships or aircraft but to bolster the PN's sea policing capabilities, e.g. counter-terrorism, stopping smuggling and trafficking, etc. In wartime, these OPVs will be deployed to guard against asymmetrical threats, combat search-and-rescue (CSAR) and ISR.

I don't think the PN intends to arm these Damen OPVs with anti-ship missiles (AShM) or surface-to-air missiles (SAM). That might sound disappointing, but remember - these OPVs will will free AShM-armed FACs and frigates and corvettes to fully focus on anti-ship missions.

That said, while it is unlikely these OPVs will be armed with AShM and SAMs, I do think we might see the PN (at least in the long-term) equip them with radars and SIGINT/ELINT equipment.

Bummer

Not sure i follow what is anti surface and anti air then???
The OPVs are being bought for "anti surface [and] anti air operations

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAYCAAAAJDgzNmFhZmZiLTgyMTctNGMzMi1iOTlkLWZjN2M3OTQzMTBmNA.jpg

This is our ship 90 meters close to OHP frigate size

and of course some Schiebels scouts will take operate from it.
Yep. When you look into it, there are quite a few seemingly simple things you can integrate that would make this a very potent system for specific - but important - roles. It'd better deploy this OPV along with UAVs and special ops crafts against pirates or terrorists (esp. armed with RPG-7s etc) than to risk the F-22P or potentially even MILGEM. With specific ISR equipment, e.g. EO/IR or low-level radars, you can pick up low-flying objects or even small naval objects (e.g. infiltration crafts) several kilometers (if not more) before they touch land.

Imagine fitting this radar to the OPV.

Hensoldt Tactical Radar for Surface Surveillance (TRSS)

The TRSS is the new compact high-performance surveillance radar in HENSOLD Sensors' TRS-family. It has the capability to detect very small targets in all surface environments based on naval platforms.

Missions in littoral and blue water environment and sea-to-land operations require full situational awareness of all kinds of targets at any time. TRSS reliably recognises and identifies targets and asymmetric threats offshore and onshore.

TRSS is designed for all kinds of security, safety and defence missions for surface surveillance. Convincing especially through its flexibility in configuration and operational needs, TRSS even provides the capability for enhanced land surveillance.

TRSS is based on latest AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Antenna) technology and is a coherent Pulse-Doppler X-band radar. It is the appropriate sensor to fulfil the surveillance requirements from short range (close to the naval platform) to medium range by detecting even very small targets.

These Europeans make every military goody, but they seldom need the same. Irony.
They do research, mostly through some brown guy doing donkey work, yet our own countries suffer.
We read science in their languages, as if we were born to serve them. Science in our own languages is considered less valuable, as if Urdu, Bangla, Hindi, Sankirat, Nepali don't have a worth to be a science language. We serve their society, while our own dies slowly. We enrich their culture, while our own fades away.
I have no doubt that we, the browns, are the most foolish human race.

Back
Top Bottom