What's new

Pakistan orders Dutch OPV (1,900 tons, 90 m). To be built at KSEW

The PN says it'll use the OPVs for combat search and rescue. I guess if a pilot goes down at sea or a ship bites it somewhere, they'll send these to retrieve people.

From what I have heard, the Navy wants the policing part of it's responsibility to be carried out by OPV like vessels.

Such as patrolling EEZ, protecting Merchant ships, fishing fleet, anti terror and search and rescue.

Leaving other more powerful vessels to concentrate on their core missions.

https://www.defencereviewasia.com/articles/728/Damen-displays-leading-position-in-global-OPV-market

O PVs are playing an increasingly significant role in modern naval operations. They offer a versatile platform from which an extremely wide range of duties can be performed. OPVs allow navies and Coastguards to carry out non-military duties like search and rescue, anti-smuggling operations and humanitarian support in a very cost-efficient way, but if necessary the OPVs can include conventional military activities such as anti-ship and anti-air warfare,” comments Damen Manager Design & Proposal Piet van Rooij.

From what I have heard, the Navy wants the policing part of it's responsibility to be carried out by OPV like vessels.

Such as patrolling EEZ, protecting Merchant ships, fishing fleet, anti terror and search and rescue.

Leaving other more powerful vessels to concentrate on their core missions.
Agreed, I was just answering the question regarding wartime roles.

With massive expansion of PMSA, with induction of 1500 tons PMSA patrol boat, why would proper navy needs patrol boat to protect eez, anti terror or SAR. Can they not be done by PMSA? If so it is not understandable to induct 2 more considerably large OPV in proper PN colors.

There something I am not getting.

With massive expansion of PMSA, with induction of 1500 tons PMSA patrol boat, why would proper navy needs patrol boat to protect eez, anti terror or SAR. Can they not be done by PMSA? If so it is not understandable to induct 2 more considerably large OPV in proper PN colors.

There something I am not getting.
PN and MSA now have to patrol the entire makran coast ~1500 km. In that context, still under capacity.

If they are not Armed For Anti Ship and Anti Air Role Role than I don't think getting 1900 Tonnes Ship for just going after smugglers and terrorists coming through ship is waste of time and resources.

If they are not Armed For Anti Ship and Anti Air Role Role than I don't think getting 1900 Tonnes Ship for just going after smugglers and terrorists coming through ship is waste of time and resources.
It has longer range and endurance. You can't use your frigates to go after every tom dick and harry. Countries have coast guard ships in excess of 4000t.

Well if it was ordered Last june , normal expected timeline would be 1 to 2 years its been only 10 months since news broke out

While it is not a F22P type ship , I would imagine with modern tools and Man power may be this company is more productive who knows, Is Karachi construction yard even started to work no this project ? Don't recall a steel cutting ceremony news

If we get something delivered in 12 months I would be very impressed

>Dutch OPV
>Damen 2-3 Ships
> Dehshat Class Missile boats (Karachi Yard still not done with Missile boat project ???)

Last edited:
Per my calculations and the news truckling in I would expect to have PN with 2 opv, one new Chinese frigate and one Turkish Corvette by 2020 to replace type21

I don't see it happening now

ip0eZpu.jpg

Sure, we can also build a 5000 seat cricket stadium. Laws of physics don't apply to marine vessels.
You probably also think that all these weapon systems are just glued to the deck and they don't require any space for sub-systems and support systems, no space for supplies and spares, no space for additional ammunition.

23 thousand absolute garbage posts on topics you don't know shit about, had you spent one tenth of that time in learning something useful...

We can install anything on ship we want

Pakistan_Nasr_Missile_1.jpg

This would be my favourite option to put on All Ships

babur-missile-1024x678.jpg

full

But some item from China
29fc109c027da898.jpg

Back
Top Bottom