What's new

Pakistan orders Dutch OPV (1,900 tons, 90 m). To be built at KSEW

I think the length issue may be an approximation error and / or the fact that the 1800 size OPV from Damen has an Axe Bow version which is longer. Maybe PN wanted to add a few more extra feet to fit in Harbah (which IMHO will surely find its way here).
A CIWS, Harbah and a helicopter, plus a main gun. A cheap and fast replacement for at least 2 of the Type 21s. Would not be a downgrade, it will be roughly equal to a Type 21. If you add an FL-3000N it would be better than anything other than the F-22Ps.

Alternately you could place the Harpoons and CIWS of the Type 21s into these ships, lowering costs further.

It has longer range and endurance. You can't use your frigates to go after every tom dick and harry. Countries have coast guard ships in excess of 4000t.

It will free PN ships from anti piracy force while reducing operating cost.

Only 3 type 21 carry harpoons. One of them already gave it's harpoons to lone OHP. I believe remaining 2 will give it's harpoons to 2 OPV's.
I believe phalanx ciws on type 21 in PN have out lived there age and are ineffective against any critical missile attack. Hence I believe new opv will be armed with Turkish 30mm stamp gun one in front and two in the mid section on top of hanger. This explains why PN is not going for 76mm gun in the front , yo reduce waight and add harpoons.

The last question is about anti air. I believe these OPV's will be armed with some sort of local point defence anti air short range missile.

For anti sub these OPV's could be armed with modules under the hanger if need be.

Plus a sea king type helicopter will also provide anti sub and anti ship options

I also believe no more swift are coming

4 ada will come in with standard configuration in next 6 years with Pakistani and Chinese weapons where ever necessary

In next 5 years PN will get 4 type 54p frigates , these will be cutting edge of PN along with new subs. And will be able to match IN project 75a frigates, that is there cutting edge for next 10-15 years

By 2024 PN will have 9 frigate , 4 Corvette , and 2 opv as major surface combat platforms

That is 15 potent and modern platforms except ohp all other platforms will be less than 15 years old with oldest will be f-22p number 251

Only 3 type 21 carry harpoons. One of them already gave it's harpoons to lone OHP. I believe remaining 2 will give it's harpoons to 2 OPV's.
I believe phalanx ciws on type 21 in PN have out lived there age and are ineffective against any critical missile attack. Hence I believe new opv will be armed with Turkish 30mm stamp gun one in front and two in the mid section on top of hanger. This explains why PN is not going for 76mm gun in the front , yo reduce waight and add harpoons.

The last question is about anti air. I believe these OPV's will be armed with some sort of local point defence anti air short range missile.

For anti sub these OPV's could be armed with modules under the hanger if need be.

Plus a sea king type helicopter will also provide anti sub and anti ship options

I also believe no more swift are coming

4 ada will come in with standard configuration in next 6 years with Pakistani and Chinese weapons where ever necessary

In next 5 years PN will get 4 type 54p frigates , these will be cutting edge of PN along with new subs. And will be able to match IN project 75a frigates, that is there cutting edge for next 10-15 years

By 2024 PN will have 9 frigate , 4 Corvette , and 2 opv as major surface combat platforms

That is 15 potent and modern platforms except ohp all other platforms will be less than 15 years old with oldest will be f-22p number 251

Hi Syed, that clears the picture a bit and fits the puzzle.

2 OPVs didn't make as much sense before, but refitting from the 2 Type 21s remaining Harpoons makes sense.

There comes the mystery rumored SAM again. Which probably means an IR AAM as well (natural corollary).

Have you noticed the Korkut? seems ideally calibred for the Brahmos. Would be a great CIWS. Ada have gone with Italian 57mm main gun at the A position. Could the OPVs go with the same? Though a 35mm Turkish Korkut would be out of the box thinking for an A position gun on a 2000 ton ship.

PS: if instead of Harpoons one went with the Harbah, it would actually be a more relevant AShM. Depending on the reliability of the new system...

Hi Syed, that clears the picture a bit and fits the puzzle.

2 OPVs didn't make as much sense before, but refitting from the 2 Type 21s remaining Harpoons makes sense.

There comes the mystery rumored SAM again. Which probably means an IR AAM as well (natural corollary).

Have you noticed the Korkut? seems ideally calibred for the Brahmos. Would be a great CIWS. Ada have gone with Italian 57mm main gun at the A position. Could the OPVs go with the same? Though a 35mm Turkish Korkut would be out of the box thinking for an A position gun on a 2000 ton ship.

PS: if instead of Harpoons one went with the Harbah, it would actually be a more relevant AShM. Depending on the reliability of the new system...

SAM is where PN is very light and have not many options till local point defense missile system that could be used on Azmat class, and OPV among other platforms. somehow PN is in love with harpoons and would like to keep them as long as they can.

SAM is where PN is very light and have not many options till local point defense missile system that could be used on Azmat class, and OPV among other platforms. somehow PN is in love with harpoons and would like to keep them as long as they can.

Thanks, that is very informative and interesting.

Back
Top Bottom