What's new

Pakistan Navy Questions Thread

Does Pakistan still have requirement for 6 large ships (Heavy Frigates/Destroyers)?

If so is it considering splitting the order between two suppliers?

With the Type 052DL approved for export and the TF-2000 destroyer’s primary missile, the Siper, is achieving crucial test performances requirements (and building on the knowledge acquired from the purchase of the S-400), splitting the order 3/3 between the two vendors would keep the PN abreast of the latest technologies (particularly networks, Datalinks; C4ISR overall) from the East and the West for the foreseeable future, similar to how the Milgem and Type 054A/P give Pakistan a significant ASW capability.

I just hope the export version of the Type 052DL called the Type 052DE or Type 052E will have features from the Type 055, such as the integrated mast and lower signature exhaust.

The following picture is from Stratfor (a private US intelligence company) that speculated as to what a Type 055 may look like.

View attachment 895225

Bro, It will take years once TF-2000 is developed and comes out. Once its finally developed then the first customer will be definitely Turkish Navy itself as they need many ships to accompany their LHD or better Drone/Heli carrier and replace the old OHPs.

As far as Type-52D is concerned, the Chinese navy itself is inducting it in numbers as of now. For possible scenario with USN.

Even if any of these destroyers becomes available for exports even then we do not have budget for it as of now. Economic stability & financial strength is much more critical for Pakistan then anything else. If we could not control this economic instability and kept moving towards the default then I fear some of additional ships on order like rest of type54s, milgems, opvs, hangors, Jinnah frigates maybe sold to any other customer.

I hope all defense enthusiasts must keep an eye on economic strength of ours as well. Infact as a nation that's the subject that should be of more interest to us now. Because economic security ensures your country's security and core interests. War cannot be fought with negative balance. All missiles, ships, tanks, everything then entire military runs on Fuel and for that we need massive FX for continuous import.

AIP submarine are hard to detect but they have been around for decades and ASW aircraft have learned to hunt them.

IMHO, The PN should really push to have the Hangor design improved to accommodate Lithium batteries currently being developed for PLAN SSKs and already becoming operational in the Japanese navy, possibly to be acquired by the Indian Navy.
True.

Bro, It will take years once TF-2000 is developed and comes out. Once its finally developed then the first customer will be definitely Turkish Navy itself as they need many ships to accompany their LHD or better Drone/Heli carrier and replace the old OHPs.

As far as Type-52D is concerned, the Chinese navy itself is inducting it in numbers as of now. For possible scenario with USN.

Even if any of these destroyers becomes available for exports even then we do not have budget for it as of now. Economic stability & financial strength is much more critical for Pakistan then anything else. If we could not control this economic instability and kept moving towards the default then I fear some of additional ships on order like rest of type54s, milgems, opvs, hangors, Jinnah frigates maybe sold to any other customer.

I hope all defense enthusiasts must keep an eye on economic strength of ours as well. Infact as a nation that's the subject that should be of more interest to us now. Because economic security ensures your country's security and core interests. War cannot be fought with negative balance. All missiles, ships, tanks, everything then entire military runs on Fuel and for that we need massive FX for continuous import.

True.

When those of us on this forum started advocating for the procurement of the J-10, probably 5-10 years before it actually happened, we were seen as too eager. But as we saw it, the scope of the PAF was limited by the fighters in the fleet and the J-10 opened up new possibilities.

This is the same logic as far as the destroyer procurement.

It is not that I’m advocating for its procurement ASAP, but rather to put these two designs under closer scrutiny and look to have them tailored to our needs, so that hopefully, by the end of the decade, when our economic prospects have improved, Inshallah, and these ships are fully developed, we will be able to procure them and they will meet our needs.

Last edited:
When those of us on this forum started advocating for the procurement of the J-10, probably 5-10 years before it actually happened, we were seen as too eager. But as we saw it, the scope of the PAF was limited by the fighters in the fleet and the J-10 opened up new possibilities.

This is the same logic as far as the destroyer procurement.

It is not that I’m advocating for its procurement ASAP, but rather to put these two designs under closer scrutiny and look to have them tailored to our needs, so that hopefully, by the end of the decade, when our economic prospects have improved, Inshallah, and these ships are fully developed, we will be able to procure them and they will meet our needs.

That's right, once we are out of the economic turmoil and these ships (TF-2000 & 52Ds) become readily available for exports like by mid 2030s then its a good chance PN acquiring one of these.

Or maybe even derive its own Jinnah II project. Which is already derived from Baburs (milgems). But this looks to be in future, as 2030s may only see focus on Jinnah frigates and building hangor submarines locally. Already too much in plate.

That's right, once we are out of the economic turmoil and these ships (TF-2000 & 52Ds) become readily available for exports like by mid 2030s then its a good chance PN acquiring one of these.

Or maybe even derive its own Jinnah II project. Which is already derived from Baburs (milgems). But this looks to be in future, as 2030s may only see focus on Jinnah frigates and building hangor submarines locally. Already too much in plate.
Fixing our economy and our politics are the two most powerful ways to strength our defense. Yes, interest into these destroyers is just planing in preparation for the 2030s.

The following “6000 ton destroyer” is probably right in line with what the PN stated it wanted

Last edited:
Whale Shark-6000 - man that is such a cringe name :o: It sounds like some toy from the 1980s (not that I would know, I swear)

Back
Top Bottom