What's new

Pakistan Navy Questions Thread

I guess, 4 Type-54AP are going to be delivered soon with 2 arriving this year and the rest of the 2 arriving next year or later.
Is PN also looking for Type-55 (Type-52D's Production stopped) Destroyers as well?
Type 055 is too big and expensive. We dont need such a massive ship. Regarding destroyers we have to ask if we really need them? Are destroyers required to defend our tiny coastline? In my opinion we dont need destroyers.

Type 055 is too big and expensive. We dont need such a massive ship. Regarding destroyers we have to ask if we really need them? Are destroyers required to defend our tiny coastline? In my opinion we dont need destroyers.

052d allows for protection against swarm attacks, something the 054a can’t do. Also allows for smaller ships to operate under its coverage.

How much PN paid for the Type-54APs to China?

possibly below the cost that PLAN paid, china clearly gave Pakistan a huge discount, probably helped that these are mass produced so prices are cheaper than before and with some PRC government assistance push it well under 300 million. there is no exact number since this info is from rumors from some credible leakers.

for comparison, the offer to thailand in 2013 was a bit over 1 billion for 3.

That said, news is that the 054B is being built right now. should have better longer ranged SAMs and munitions options while still being much cheaper than a 052D.
052d allows for protection against swarm attacks, something the 054a can’t do. Also allows for smaller ships to operate under its coverage.

052D is expensive too, like 540 million,but i suppose 2 or 3 could be affordable over the long run, and would be more useful for Pakistan than a single 055. but then again you could get like 5 054B for the same price.

Last edited:

Pakistan's Coastline can even be defended by FACs, Armed OPVs, and Corvettes alone with Air covers like MPAs and JF-17s; adding some Coastal SSKs.

Frigates and Destroyers are usually used to Patrol international waters.
possibly below the cost that PLAN paid, china clearly gave Pakistan a huge discount, probably helped that these are mass produced so prices are cheaper than before and with some PRC government assistance push it well under 300 million. there is no exact number since this info is from rumors from some credible leakers.

for comparison, the offer to thailand in 2013 was a bit over 1 billion for 3.

That said, news is that the 054B is being built right now. should have better longer ranged SAMs and munitions options while still being much cheaper than a 052D.

052D is expensive too, like 540 million,but i suppose 2 or 3 could be affordable over the long run, and would be more useful for Pakistan than a single 055. but then again you could get like 5 054B for the same price.

Can you please share some information on Type-54Bs and their capabilities?

I don't exactly remember where I saw but PN was discussing a possible purchase of Destroyers from China & Turkey.

Turkish TF-2000s is somewhat near to 7,000 tons which is equivalent to a lightweight destroyers category & I am quite sure that PN might be going for it too besides Turkish Frigates & Corvettes.

Last edited:

That's also a role of a Destroyer too.

Why I am saying about :china::pakistan: Type-55s & TF-2000s :pakistan: :turkey: is that PN might be considering a Turkish Style LHD / Small Carrier for UCAVs and Helicopters and this would require a cover from ships like Destroyers.

Can you please share some information on Type-54Bs and their capabilities?

not much to share atm. it supposedly is going to be close to 5000t instead of 054A's 4000t and feature longer range, improved ASW suite, possibly a new 100 main gun. some kind of new more integrated mast design, potentially mini-PAR like on the 052D(take this last point with a lot of salt though).

of more interest is that it will probably have the same series as the VLS already on the 052D and utilize a naval version of the HQ-16B, which should be 75% longer range than the HQ-16 on the 054A (70km vs 40km) along with a wide range of other munitions already developed for the VLS system(will be limited by how deep the cells can be)

Any possibility of looking towards the Damen Ship Builders Frigates and other Marine Products? In one of the threads related to 2 Damen OPVs arrival to PN, somebody indicated that a follow-up order of another 2 has been placed.

Does anyone have any information?

-How is it coming along?
-Are they able to successfully miniaturize Nuclear reactor?

Supposedly the SSN was shelved in favour of the Hangor class.
The SSBN is apparently still on and for all we know, might be under construction in Karachi.

It will be game changer for us.miniaturization of reactor will give our scientists more experience to upgrade our present reactors.

We better went for hangor class.this will give us more experience with submarine designs.i am optimistic that until 2035 ,we will have SSN ready to enter the survice.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom