What's new

Pakistan Domestic 155 mm artillery gun is under test and trial : HIT

I am not an expert but isnt the gun the main issue here..
If PA is satisfied with 155mm gun, then should use same gun to build a SP version
Since we have procured decent amount of SP guns for short term anyway
Building a light weight howitzer or a light weight version of original howitzer is more significantly required than an SP version atm. Mountain areas need these guns with longer ranges and light weight for transport through rough terrain.

Off topic: MRAPS cannot and will not be an alternative to better intelligence and an offensive doctrine. All the recent attacks on FC were conducted against their posts and pickets and no amount of MRAP was going to change it. FC should be given to army to bring them under better discipline and training so that they can effectively do their jobs.

Okay baby, that mini skirt suits you.

Sir, could you please clear the kebab story about the dragon apc ? Was it needed and for which role just for air port security ?

Last edited:
Not a bad idea at all. Cantonments like Sibi/Turbat/Zhob can station 5-6 155mm howitzers.

Fly one small drone for reconnaissance over a suspicious area in mountains (intelligence tip offs) if targets are found, aim the guns there and fire them. Most 155mm guns have an effective range of 40km depending on the ammunition, instead of sending a squad to get ambushed or sniped, blow the whole valley up. It's definitely quicker than sending men there. Plus, terrorists would be vary of it too.

Can work as a fail-safe too, if things get out of control.
Plus if they're lightweight or SP, they can be rapidly deployed to the borders or near areas requiring artillery in operations.

(All of this can be done with rocket artillery as well, but I don't exactly know which one is more economical)
I said it in a light mood because whether one wants or not, FC was handed tanks and artillery. How they make the best out of them is up to them.

Mortar has its own uses. Mortar on m-113 makes it mobile under small arms fire protection. Howitzers usually have longer ranges than mortars and can hit precisely with guidance munitions.

Off topic: MRAPS cannot and will not be an alternative to better intelligence and an offensive doctrine. All the recent attacks on FC were conducted against their posts and pickets and no amount of MRAP was going to change it. FC should be given to army to bring them under better discipline and training so that they can effectively do their jobs.
that sadly is due to poorly made defensive structures that are cobbled up by piling stones. what is needed is hardened structures.

PA has no need for such a tank.

What do you mean Pakistan doesn’t need more towed howitzers because it inducted “hundreds” of M117?

Firstly, go check how many M117 PA actually has. Secondly, check the age of those guns, thirdly, check the number of Towed guns and their modernization projects in Indian service. Pakistans Towed artillery force is nearly a token force compared to what India fields And is in much more need of expansions and modernization than PAs SP force.

On the other hand PA has about 3x more SPs than Indian army and is already testing several more models to increase this gap even further. PA is going to modernize both towed and SP artillery, but to me this certainly looks like a towed artillery project which may turn into an SP if PA desires and asks HIT, otherwise PA will be going for one of the foreign SPs it’s testing.
Does anyone know what went wrong with the Panther contract. What happened when the gun was tested,and was the tested item not what was delivered? Help appreciated.
A
I am not an expert but isnt the gun the main issue here..
If PA is satisfied with 155mm gun, then should use same gun to build a SP version
Since we have procured decent amount of SP guns for short term anyway
HMC has been producing gun barrels for quite some time. There has however been a bit of "reluctance" to get it from HMC instead trying to get them from else where. As to your supposition I think this is the general idea and what is now being worked at.

A

Does anyone know what went wrong with the Panther contract. What happened when the gun was tested,and was the tested item not what was delivered? Help appreciated.
A

HMC has been producing gun barrels for quite some time. There has however been a bit of "reluctance" to get it from HMC instead trying to get them from else where. As to your supposition I think this is the general idea and what is now being worked at.

A
As far as I am aware the gun performed fine but there were rather big issues when the time came to sign the contract, monetary issues on our side and a reluctance to agree to delivery terms on theirs, PA had a rather bad experience all things considered, but i suppose not all deals go smoothly, its good That the two countries didn’t let it effect other weapons deals, maybe PA will try it again too if the local option needs competitors to go against.

As for HMC. All the gun barrels used in our tanks are from HMC. The same boys made 155MM barrels for M109s before but the quality wasn’t good enough, maybe that’s where the reluctance stemmed from. However I assume they’ve now fixed those issues If the gun is under testing.

Chaa gai farooq bhai
images (10).jpeg

Back
Top Bottom