What's new

Pakistan conducts successful test launches of 4 x Nasr missiles 05 Nov, 2013

Gentlemen instead of getting bogged by assumptions let's look at the facts.All we know from India and Pakistan's nuclear doctrine is India's nuclear threshold and response is well defined whereas Pakistan's nuclear threshold and response is more or less ambiguous. From Indian nuclear doctrine we know India will respond with massive retaliation to any nuclear attack irrespective of its magnitude, and since this is declared policy Pakistan already knows this. So the question is has Pakistan really lowered its nuclear threshold in response to Indian cold start doctrine? Will Pakistan start a full scale nuclear war even if there isn't an existential risk to Pakistan's survival as cold start doctrine envisages??

Will Pakistan start a full scale nuclear war even if there isn't an existential risk to Pakistan's survival as cold start doctrine envisages??

The simple thing is " your well defined doctrine " isn't practical in the real world which is what we are discussing since the beginning of the thread . Continue , risk a billion or back off , save a billion is the dilemma imposed on Indians by their own doctrine . :D

Have you just created a device or software to determine the " intentions " of an adversary / an entity somehow ? What exactly is it , that the Indian wish to make us believe that their intentions are peaceful and that we should welcome the invaders with garlands somehow ? Is it even meant as a joke ? :azn: .

Starts from this , actually . Will India still try to cross the border and dare to invade Pakistan for whatever reason knowing fully that if the " not so clearly " defined thresholds of Pakistan are crossed somehow , it will result in a tactical nuclear strike on their forces and subsequent Mutually Assured Destruction if Indians still continue the misadventure and do not back off ? Endangering 1.2 billion Indians for what ? Some armored corps/CBG's ?

Last edited:
For every Indian Armored brigade attacked by nukes we will obliterate 3 Pakistani armored brigades by nukes.

Summary is that every policy they frame on a assumption & this is a new assumption is that India would bow down against their so called Tactical Nukes.

Forget the past , this new warfare is different and dangerous . The best bet for New Delhi isn't to cross the border in the first place and start the whole chain reaction . Because if this time , the assumption of " Indians backing off after the tactical nuclear strike " doesn't work out and you continue your misadventure as per Cold Start , everyone's gonna be nuked , something known as MAD . India already has bowed down three time , due to the same nuclear threat , since now , read " 89 Op.Brasstacks , " 99 Kargil , "01 Op.Parakram and "08 Mumbai . So , well it isn't really an assumption now .

The simple thing is " your well defined doctrine " isn't practical in the real world which is what we are discussing since the beginning of the thread . Continue , risk a billion or back off , save a billion is the dilemma imposed on Indians by their own doctrine . :D

Have you just created a device or software to determine the " intentions " of an adversary / an entity somehow ? What exactly is it that the Indian wish to make us believe that their intentions are peaceful we should welcome the invaders with garlands somehow ? Is it even meant as a joke ? :azn: .

Starts from this , actually . Will India still try to cross the border and dare to invade Pakistan for whatever reason knowing fully that if the " not so clearly " defined thresholds of Pakistan are crossed somehow , it will result in a tactical nuclear strike on their forces and subsequent Mutually Assured Destruction if Indians still continue the misadventure and do not back off ? Endangering 1.2 billion Indians for what ? Some armored corps/CBG's ?

Again with the assumptions let's not pretend that you know what Indians consider practical or impractical response. My statement is in line with India's declared nuclear doctrine. For us you starting a nuclear war(guaranteeing annihilation of your country) in face non existential threat seems nonsensical and impractical but I am not rubbing your face in that. So let's stick to facts and not your assumptions!!!

Again with the assumptions let's not pretend that you know what Indians consider practical or impractical response. My statement is in line with India's declared nuclear doctrine. For us you starting a nuclear war(guaranteeing annihilation of your country) in face non existential threat seems nonsensical and impractical but I am not rubbing your face in that. So let's stick to facts and not your assumptions!!!

I am not making any assumptions here , your doctrine is the cause of this " continue , risk a billion or stop and back off , save a billion " dilemma , it is what that limits you in the first place . You do not even seem to understand the whole thing merely repeating the " doctrine " again and again without understanding the implications/outcomes . No chain reaction will be started until Pakistan Army's conventional power is overwhelmed by Indians crossing the border or other means . So , going by your past and present response , even crossing the border by Indian troops or whatever you envision in the " Cold Start " seems impractical since neither are you so powerful nor are we so weak . You see , the Govt of Pakistan or the Armed forces of Pakistan will not play by the Indian declared nuclear doctrine/rules , if their " thresholds " are crossed , then it will be tactical nuclear strike , whilst the SFC readies its strategic nuclear weapons and waits for Indian response . If New Delhi still thinks that it can continue the misadventure and implement its nuclear doctrine , then it will MAD for both of our countries , no one wins or comes out on top . So the only way to ensure that you do not lose is to " not play " , clear as that . I am not rubbing it in your face either , though the same old repetitions by Indian members without knowing its meanings is getting boring .

Au contraire I think I do understand the implications of a nuclear doctrine more so I also understand the purpose of one. A nuclear doctrine is made and then specifically declared publicly to serve as deterrence and when deterrence fails you have to put your plans into action.

While you might be readying your strategic weapons for a full scale launch after the intial TNW, maybe a dozen or so weapons might already be on their way to put a kink in your plans. The difference is these weapons will not need to be mated are ready to fire at a moments notice by submarines lurking of your coast. Their aim, to neutralize as much as possible Pakistani missile, nuclear arsenal and C3I
So that when Pakistan retaliates with whatever its left with..India owing to its much larger size, population and active missile defense systems can take the hit and survive.

That is what massive retaliation would mean in India- Pakistan scenario.

Have you just created a device or software to determine the " intentions " of an adversary / an entity somehow ? What exactly is it , that the Indian wish to make us believe that their intentions are peaceful and that we should welcome the invaders with garlands somehow ? Is it even meant as a joke ? :azn: .

@Secur; I assumed that you are/were wiser than this. :P
First of all one guy with gonads (of cast-iron at least) will have to set off one Nuke; even if its of the most teeny-weeny kind of TNW............ that is something to start with.
OTOH; with Guys with the proclivity 'to blow themselves up for no particular reason'; who can tell.....
Is'nt that what you guys are trying to say? :D

@ares Mention or quote me next time when you replying me . Then how does it happen that do not seem to understand how the Indian nuclear doctrine itself limits the IA from implementing the Cold Start and cause the dilemma ? On the other hand , the Pakistani nuclear doctrine , in such case , has successfully served as deterrence for four times now to the extent , that the opposing forces were mobilized and backed off due to the " unknown " thresholds . Wouldn't you call it successful and practical then ?

Unfortunately , there are no winners in this game as you falsely assume . You know little or nothing about Pakistan's second strike capability - an attack on its offensive capabilities with the intent of denting its capabilities to the point where it is of no threat to Indian or its main population centers is simply not possible due to the diversity of nuclear arsenal and all terrain TELs . As for " lobbing a couple strategic nukes " when the TNW takes flight , the SFC would have readied its nukes by then and the time window is enough to ensure that Pakistan does the same , the result is MAD again . Infliction of " unacceptable damage " is possible even if 50% of our arsenal is intact and trust me , it doesn't mean nuking each and every inch since you guys think that the effects of a nuclear bomb is limited to ground zero when in reality , its much worse than that . As for BMD saving the day , we have more than enough delivery systems to overwhelm it and its effectiveness remain unknown since even the major powers do not have much faith in these systems . As I said , the only way to ensure that you do not lose is to not play . @Alpha1 Show him the simulation :D 
@Secur; I assumed that you are/were wiser than this. :P
First of all one guy with gonads (of cast-iron at least) will have to set off one Nuke; even if its of the most teeny-weeny kind of TNW............ that is something to start with.
OTOH; with Guys with the proclivity 'to blow themselves up for no particular reason'; who can tell.....
Is'nt that what you guys are trying to say? :D
I know that I know nothing :D . Yea the Samson Option is what precisely , everybody has hinted at . Only that it will be , for a particular reason , no one here is suicidal to launch a nuke at the drop of a hat , the red lines must not be crossed , for one's own safety . Isn't the whole thing interesting ? :P

Last edited:
You did that effort yourself with the initial gung ho approach.. I am trying to do the opposite and get you to be mathematical about it.

The Nasr does nothing new that weapons like the Hatf or a Mirage with a nuke could not do in terms of lowering the threshold. What it does is lower the time India has to calculate the bluff. As I said before, as long as India's policy of all out retaliation stays.. the Nasr serves as a deterrent. Otherwise, tac nukes have limited ability in a modern mobile NBC warfare environment.

While my previous posts were obviously in jest(Thanks for kicking me in the teeth in response. I sincerely hope that the groupies who mindlessly thank your posts even if you were to recite a nursery rhyme choke you to death one day!!!), I find your response particularly disingenuous.

The Nasr platform isn't up for debate for its contested capabilities, but for its intended purpose. It passes the moral buck back to Indians as if to say,

"Yes, I nuked and vaporized advancing Indian divisions(operating in my own territory) but is India willing to snuff out every man, woman and child in Pakistan in retaliation?"

P.S. While I'm sure you understood the Clooney reference, this is for the ones who didn't:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/george-clooney-had-no-idea-bat-suit-nipples-193800683.html

Last edited:
@ares Mention or quote me next time when you replying me . Then how does it happen that do not seem to understand how the Indian nuclear doctrine itself limits the IA from implementing the Cold Start and cause the dilemma ? On the other hand , the Pakistani nuclear doctrine , in such case , has successfully served as deterrence for four times now to the extent , that the opposing forces were mobilized and backed off due to the " unknown " thresholds . Wouldn't you call it successful and practical then ?

In case your are forget cold start is a recent doctrine, tailor made after failure of Operation Parakram.
India has yet to have an opportunity to implement it,,before that Indian doctrine called strike corps size invasion forces, which would aim to cut Pakistan into half and capture major cities, which was one nuclear thresh holds of Pakistan.
When 2008 Mumbai happened Cold Start was still on the drawing board, with only couple of exercises in the bag there was no mobilization back then.

You are claiming the success of Pakistani nuclear doctrine based on the fact India has not invaded, apply reverse logic i.e since Pakistan has not nuked India, that would mean that Indian doctrine is a success??

Unfortunately , there are no winners in this game as you falsely assume . You know little or nothing about Pakistan's second strike capability

Perhaps, but I can safely say, I know atleast as much as you do. However I do know this for a fact Pakistan has limited land area to disperse it weapons and countries as huge as US and Soviet union chose to deploy majority of its weapons at sea.use to have nuclear bombers in air 24/7, in DEFCON 3 upwards conditions.As they were pretty sure that enemy first strike will destroy or disable most of it land based systems and only way to ensure second strike capability was to hide them at sea.

- an attack on its offensive capabilities with the intent of denting its capabili7ties to the point where it is of no threat to Indian or its main population centers is simply not possible due to the diversity of nuclear arsenal and all terrain TELs . As for " lobbing a couple strategic nukes " when the TNW takes flight , the SFC would have readied its nukes by then and the time window is enough to ensure that Pakistan does the same , the result is MAD again .

Where is the time window, your SFC will have to bring the nuclear weapons from different parts of Pakistan(where they are stored separately to ward of accidental launch or falling into hands of terrorists) , assemble them, mate them with missile then punch in the launch codes, this process will take days if not weeks, where as Indian weapons launched from the sea will not need to go through steps 1, 2,3 but just launch codes, they will be on their targets with in 2- 7 mins.

Infliction of " unacceptable damage " is possible even if 50% of our arsenal is intact and trust me , it doesn't mean nuking each and every inch since you guys think that the effects of a nuclear bomb is limited to ground zero when in reality , its much worse than that .

As for BMD saving the day , we have more than enough delivery systems to overwhelm it and its effectiveness remain unknown since even the major powers do not have much faith in these systems .

Then offcourse the aim will be to take out more than 50 % of your arsenal in first strike.Even the EMPs created by these strikes will disable all electronics and communication throughout entire Pakistan. Theoretically if India launched enough weapons in first strike it can take out your entire land based arsenal. Practically offcourse some would survive the initial blast or even survive them EMP, but would that be enough to overwhelm India's BMD systems??..maybe.. but to cause unacceptable damage..I think not.

As I said , the only way to ensure that you do not lose is to not play .

Hence we have a mature and declared nuclear doctrine, we will not fire the first nuclear weapons, but our nuclear doctrine if implemented will ensure that we will fire the last shot.

when did I say that a short range nuke or tactical nuke or TNW tactical nuclear weapon is not a nuke in the fist place?, all I said was that Pakistan's main stockpile is that of Strategical nukes & not of tactical nukes & Pakistan's nuclear weapons program is much more then NASR just like India's nuclear program is much more then nirbhay ,so whats there to hate or break in what I wrote
now what has operation chengis khan or for that matter the diplomacy regarding the 1971 conflict has to do with the topic @ hand ?

What makes you think that we care about what "Pakistan's main stockpile" is? A nuclear warhead aimed at our forces will warrant a fitting and disproportionate(all out) response. I'd encourage you to read Sandy's posts for further elaboration.

P.S. I meant "strategic" and not "tactical" in my previous post.

In case your are forget cold start is a recent doctrine, tailor made after failure of Operation Parakram.
India has yet to have an opportunity to implement it,,before that Indian doctrine called strike corps size invasion forces, which would aim to cut Pakistan into half and capture major cities, which was one nuclear thresh holds of Pakistan.
When 2008 Mumbai happened Cold Start was still on the drawing board, with only couple of exercises in the bag there was no mobilization back then.

You are claiming the success of Pakistani nuclear doctrine based on the fact India has not invaded, apply reverse logic i.e since Pakistan has not nuked India, that would mean that Indian doctrine is a success??

Perhaps, but I can safely say, I know atleast as much as you do. However I do know this for a fact Pakistan has limited land area to disperse it weapons and countries as huge as US and Soviet union chose to deploy majority of its weapons at sea.use to have nuclear bombers in air 24/7, in DEFCON 3 upwards conditions.As they were pretty sure that enemy first strike will destroy or disable most of it land based systems and only way to ensure second strike capability was to hide them at sea.

Where is the time window, your SFC will have to bring the nuclear weapons from different parts of Pakistan(where they are stored separately to ward of accidental launch or falling into hands of terrorists) , assemble them, mate them with missile then punch in the launch codes, this process will take days if not weeks, where as Indian weapons launched from the sea will not need to go through steps 1, 2,3 but just launch codes, they will be on their targets with in 2- 7 mins.

Then offcourse the aim will be to take out more than 50 % of your arsenal in first strike.Even the EMPs created by these strikes will disable all electronics and communication throughout entire Pakistan. Theoretically if India launched enough weapons in first strike it can take out your entire land based arsenal. Practically offcourse some would survive the initial blast or even survive them EMP, but would that be enough to overwhelm India's BMD systems??..maybe.. but to cause unacceptable damage..I think not.

Hence we have a mature and declared nuclear doctrine, we will not fire the first nuclear weapons, but our nuclear doctrine if implemented will ensure that we will fire the last shot.

You may want to research more . Because the basic idea of " Cold Start " is nothing new to the Indian Army , being first tested in its crudest form during Op.Brasstacks itself .I know the " improved " upon Cold Start is a recent addition and somehow appears to have gone " cold " due to the recent developments on the other side - not only factoring in the " specific missile " . Unlike the Indian nuclear doctrine which recently added " the attack on any Indian forces anywhere " , the Pakistani one hasn't changed and been quite consistent from the beginning . Pakistan doesn't guarantee that it will not attack any country if its " thresholds " which remain " largely unclear " or " unknown " are crossed . Since no other side has dared to invade Pakistan and no " red lines " have been crossed until now after the testing of " first nuke " - which isn't Chagai I or II , there's no reverse logic that applies here . On the other hand , India has chosen not to test Islamabad's resolve at least four times now since date , which speaks volumes of the success of Pakistani " deterrence " .

If you did , you wouldn't have made a comment that India can somehow perform a sort of " decapitation strike " and still get away " unscathed " and somehow win a " nuclear war " - a fallacy in itself since there are no winners . Pakistan still has sparely populated - desert and mountainous areas in which these nukes or all terrain TELs can be successfully dispersed which makes for a robust " second strike capability " - something the Americans have hinted at , from a long time ago . The completion of the " nuclear triad " isn't far away whilst you only have one nuclear submarine for now , which cant be on patrol at sea at all times . You are choosing a wrong example here , nothing between India and Pakistan is comparable to that of U.S and the now defunct U.S.S.R. since their stockpiles , yields , delivery systems and second strike capability were more advanced than you think . We are neither that far away from each other nor have the technological capability to early detect and strike as both country used to have and still do .

What are you assuming here ? That they have to brought from some far far away land to one central location to be mated and launched ? :D It is generally thought that the Strategic Forces Command can bring its weapons to a " launch " state in a 5-7 minutes window , in emergency times/crisis . So it isn't , if getting ready for a nuclear strike would take hours or days for Islamabad , the time window will not exceed any more than 10 minutes . @AhaseebA As for the usual " accidentally setting off " or " terrorists launching nukes " , save it for Funny threads , not the stuff that is relevant here anyways . May I know just how many weapons can be launched from " sea " in one go , taking into account the current Indian capability ? Does the number exceed even five ? :azn: No .

How do you plan on taking out that percent of the Pakistani arsenal if I may know ? What intelligence do you have about the location of the nuclear weapons and the launch sites anyways ? Why exactly has it already been done then ? I remember the Indians were quite desperate to attack Islamabad during Op.Parakram . What then if not the nuclear threat caused them to back away since they know more than us and would have factored in , all that stuff . If it were to work like that and EMP would be that efficient to prevent " missile launches " , that would have been done long time ago by either side or during the Cold War . So , how many " weapons " are enough as per you to dent Pakistan's capabilities to counter strike ? I said even if 50% of Pakistani arsenal survives ( which means around 60 ready to go " nukes " ) , they would be enough to cause " unacceptable damage " to the adversary and that thing isn't hard to understand looking at your most populous cities . You still have a lot to learn about your " adversary " or " Pakistan's nuclear capabilities " before assuming things that make no sense .

Yeah , something yet to be proven whilst on the other hand , you have a complete history of the " enemy " standing at the gates but ordered not to " cross " it . :D 
What makes you think that we care about what "Pakistan's main stockpile" is? A nuclear warhead aimed at our forces will warrant a fitting and disproportionate(all out) response. I'd encourage you to read Sandy's posts for further elaboration.

Ok , just tell them then not to cross the border and risk the entire Indian population then . If you hadn't cared , wouldn't you have crossed the borders ? :azn: Four times and counting ! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom