What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

Bell AH-1Z Viper – USA
NOVEMBER 12, 2015 ~ NONOTHAI
ah-1z-viper-united-states.jpg

The Bell AH-1Z Viperis a twin-engine attack helicopter based on the AH-1W SuperCobra, that was developed for theUnited States Marine Corps (USMC). The AH-1Z features a four-blade, bearingless, composite main rotor system, uprated transmission, and a new target sighting system. The AH-1Z is part of the H-1 upgrade program. It is also called “Zulu Cobra” in reference to its variant letter.

ah-1z_850x-01671.jpg

The AH-1Z incorporates new rotor technology with upgraded military avionics, weapons systems, and electro-optical sensors in an integrated weapons platform. It has improved survivability and can find targets at longer ranges and attack them with precision weapons.

bell_ah-1z_viper_168003_013.jpg

Bearingless, hingeless rotor system
The AH-1Z’s new bearingless, hingeless rotor system has 75% fewer parts than that of four-bladed articulated systems. The blades are made of composites, which have an increased ballistic survivability, and there is a semiautomatic folding system for storage aboard amphibious assault ships. Its two redesigned wing stubs are longer, with each adding a wing-tip station for a missile such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder. Each wing has two other stations for 2.75-inch (70 mm) Hydra 70 rocket pods, or AGM-114 Hellfire quad missile launchers. The AN/APG-78 Longbow fire control radar can also be mounted on a wing tip station.

400px-m197vulcanah-1z_e2809cvipere2809d.jpg

20 mm (0.787 in) M197 3-barreled Gatling cannon in the A/A49E-7 turret
bell_ah-1z_viper_168003_018.jpg

AGM-114 Hellfire quad missile launchers and 2.75-inch (70 mm) Hydra 70 rocket pods
aim-9m-sidewinder-heat-seeking-air-to-air-missile.gif

Wing-tip station for a missile such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder (air-to-air) above or AN/APG-78 Longbow fire control radar below
20090806192850.jpg

The Z-model’s integrated avionics system (IAS) has been developed by Northrop Grumman. The system includes two mission computers and an automatic flight control system. Each crew station has two 8×6-inch multifunction liquid crystal displays (LCD) and one 4.2×4.2-inch dual function LCD display. The communications suite combines a US Navy RT-1824 integrated radio, UHF/VHF, COMSEC and modem in a single unit. The navigation suite includes an embedded GPS inertial navigation system (EGI), a digital map system and Meggitt’s low-airspeed air data subsystem, which allows weapons delivery when hovering.
6503d540ee5cc011eba1ba85168c0f2e.jpg

Source: AH-1Z Viper, 1000 Hellfire II Missiles approved for sale to Pakistan. | Page 55

Front seat

ah-1z-cockpit.jpg

Rear seat
cockpit_collective.jpg

The crew are equipped with the Thales “Top Owl” helmet-mounted sight and display system. The Top Owl has a 24-hour day/night capability and a binocular display with a 40° field of view. Its visor projection providesforward looking infrared (FLIR) or video imagery. The AH-1Z has survivability equipment including the Hover Infrared Suppression System (HIRSS) to cover engine exhausts, countermeasure dispensers, radar warning, incoming/on-way missile warning, and on-fuselage laser spot warning systems.

topowl.jpg

Thales “Top Owl” helmet-mounted sight and display system
7.jpg

Hover Infrared Suppression System (HIRSS) to cover engine exhausts
The Lockheed Martin target sight system (TSS) incorporates a third-generation FLIR sensor. The TSS provides target sighting in day, night, or adverse weather conditions. The system has various view modes and can track with FLIR or by TV. The same system is also used on the UH-1Y Venomand the KC-130JHarvest HAWK.

1942648.jpg

Lockheed Martin target sight system (TSS) incorporates a third-generation FLIR sensor
avionic_bay.jpg

Avionics bay

Operators
23px-Flag_of_Pakistan.svg.png
Pakistan
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States

Source: AH-1Z Viper, 1000 Hellfire II Missiles approved for sale to Pakistan. | Page 55

Specifications (AH-1Z)

Data from Bell Specifications, The International Directory of Military Aircraft, 2002–2003, Modern Battlefield Warplanes
General characteristics

• Crew: 2: pilot, co-pilot/gunner (CPG)
  • Capacity: 6,661 lb (3,021 kg)
  • Length: 58 ft 3 in (17.8 m)
  • Rotor diameter: 48 ft (14.6 m)
  • Height: 14 ft 4 in (4.37 m)
  • Disc area: 1,808 ft² (168.0 m²)
  • Empty weight: 12,300 lb (5,580 kg)
  • Useful load: 5,764 lb (2,620 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 18,500 lb (8,390 kg)
  • Powerplant:
  • Rotor systems: 4 blades on main rotor, 4 blades on tail rotor
Performance

Armament

ct7_t700_p1220751.jpg

2 × General Electric T700-GE-401C turboshaft, 1,800 shp (1,340 kW) each
400px-m197gatling2.jpg

20 mm (0.787 in) M197 3-barreled Gatling cannon
hydry_70_general_dynamics.jpg

Hydra 70 rockets above or APKWS II rockets below
hydra-rocket-apkws-components.png

agm-114-hellfire-antiarmor-missile-system2.jpg

AGM-114 Hellfire air-to-surface missiles (Anti-armor) 500m to 8km at Mach 1.3
ah1z3d.jpg

yourfile1.gif

Every time i see them looking at this helicopter, i fear the do not select this one. I know we wont have funds to go for two different attack helicopters and this as the main front line gunship is not good enough! Need some real dedicated attack helicopters like Z-10 or T-129 or AH-1Z gunships. Not another part timer! Buying this, we will need more funds to buy some other heavier gunship and with AH-1Z, AH-1F, Mi-35already in the picture, getting TWO more different platforms wont make much sense!

Every time i see them looking at this helicopter, i fear the do not select this one. I know we wont have funds to go for two different attack helicopters and this as the main front line gunship is not good enough! Need some real dedicated attack helicopters like Z-10 or T-129 or AH-1Z gunships. Not another part timer! Buying this, we will need more funds to buy some other heavier gunship and with AH-1Z, AH-1F, Mi-35already in the picture, getting TWO more different platforms wont make much sense!
I imagine they'd look at the Z-19 in the same vein as the current AH-1s in service. Yes, the Z-19 isn't as large or capable as Z-10 and AH-1Z, but one could argue that it would be a suitable 1:1 successor to the AH-1F/S.

I don't think the PAA is interested in Z-19; remember, the Z-19 has been in the development pipeline for years, but the PAA picked up 3 Z-10 for testing, not Z-19.

Pakistan reportedly completed test mission on China's Z-10 attack helicopter

The first Z-10 attack helicopter provided by China to Pakistan has completed its test mission over Rawalpindi, according to unconfirmed reports. The development was posted by micro bloggers in the New York based Chinese language website, Douwei News, said today April 7 Indian website The Times of India.

Z_10_attack_helicopter_640_001.jpg

CAIC Z-10/WZ-10 " Fierce Thunderbolt" attack helicopter

The move comes soon after Pakistan launched its Shaheen 3 IRBM ballistic missile last month. Its technology is believed to have been supplied by China because "Pakistan does not have the industrial infrastructure to do it themselves" a military website said.
"China was the most likely donor and China would do this largely because Pakistani ballistic missiles aimed at India make Indian anti-missile defenses less effective against Chinese ballistic missiles," the US website, Strategy Page, said.
Pakistan is believed to have chosen China's Z-10 after considering another next-generation attack helicopter, Turkey's A-129, as it wants to replace its obsolete AH-1S Cobras purchased from the United States in the 1980s.

published by Helios in 2014 in the book ‘From Fabric Wings . . . A History of Military Aviation on both sides of the Northwest Frontier’.

has anybody read this book

fab.jpg

should be an interesting read .....

I imagine they'd look at the Z-19 in the same vein as the current AH-1s in service. Yes, the Z-19 isn't as large or capable as Z-10 and AH-1Z, but one could argue that it would be a suitable 1:1 successor to the AH-1F/S.

I don't think the PAA is interested in Z-19; remember, the Z-19 has been in the development pipeline for years, but the PAA picked up 3 Z-10 for testing, not Z-19.
Well my point is we may not be able to buy Z-19 together with More AH-1Zm Z-10 or T-129 (which ever is finalized) and i do not want PPA to end with with Z-19 alone with a very few or none of the better true attack helicopters like the Zulu, Viper, T-129 or Z-10.

The first Z-10 attack helicopter provided by China to Pakistan has completed its test mission over Rawalpindi, according to unconfirmed reports. The development was posted by micro bloggers in the New York based Chinese language website, Douwei News, said today April 7 Indian website The Times of India.

View attachment 272479

The move comes soon after Pakistan launched its Shaheen 3 IRBM ballistic missile last month. Its technology is believed to have been supplied by China because "Pakistan does not have the industrial infrastructure to do it themselves" a military website said.
"China was the most likely donor and China would do this largely because Pakistani ballistic missiles aimed at India make Indian anti-missile defenses less effective against Chinese ballistic missiles," the US website, Strategy Page, said.
Pakistan is believed to have chosen China's Z-10 after considering another next-generation attack helicopter, Turkey's A-129, as it wants to replace its obsolete AH-1S Cobras purchased from the United States in the 1980s.

published by Helios in 2014 in the book ‘From Fabric Wings . . . A History of Military Aviation on both sides of the Northwest Frontier’.

View attachment 272490

View attachment 272479

View attachment 272490

Sir the test were conducted in Mar 2014 right? how was all that in 2014 published book?
Or am i missing something here?

Well my point is we may not be able to buy Z-19 together with More AH-1Zm Z-10 or T-129 (which ever is finalized) and i do not want PPA to end with with Z-19 alone with a very few or none of the better true attack helicopters like the Zulu, Viper, T-129 or Z-10.

Sir the test were conducted in Mar 2014 right? how was all that in 2014 published book?
Or am i missing something here?

Not related the posts got merged somehow

Not related the posts got merged somehow
that explains it! :)
Thanks!
Now lets wait and see what comes out of these Z10 trails. They do look excellent choice on paper and i am quite confident PAA wont make a hasty decision, they need to be satisfied with this helicopter if we are to see numbers being inducted for front line duties. They will complement the AH-1Z Cobra gunships in an excellent way. Also i suppose if we have some funds and can get some more Mi-35 finalized and delivered for SSG, the PAA attack/assault army will be taken care of for quite a few years to come.

Back
Top Bottom