What's new

Pakistan Army Aviation Corps - Updated

engine compartment seems salvageable ... so at least there's that :)

You do not know anything about the engine compartment from that picture.

There is evidence that the rotor blades struck the ground and came to an abrupt halt at some point....this itself serves to absolutely RUIN the transmission, and the interlinked engine shafts.

You do not know anything about the engine compartment from that picture.

There is evidence that the rotor blades struck the ground and came to an abrupt halt at some point....this itself serves to absolutely RUIN the transmission, and the interlinked engine shafts.
I'm not sure about that... there should be some stress on the transmission that is undeniable but how much of the impact force was carried through. I don't know

since rotors absorbed some of the force by breaking :)

but yeah something might have gone wrong, a cog or two might have been broken

I'm not sure about that... there should be some stress on the transmission that is undeniable but how much of the impact force was carried through. I don't know

since rotors absorbed some of the force by breaking :)

but yeah something might have gone wrong, a cog or two might have been broken

Case in point...

Russian Mi-8 Take off from water - YouTube

I don't have x-ray vision :) I don't know if they were able to salvage the engine(s) from that or not, to me it seems probable

No, they were not able to salvage the engine from that.

I don't think you have an engineering background....am I correct?

No, they were not able to salvage the engine from that.

I don't think you have an engineering background....am I correct?
no... do you?

besides may I ask how did you acquire that information? that they were not?

Pakistan Army is underestimating the purpose of a door guns !

The Door gun provide high suppression machine gun fire at the landing zone, it covers the troops, not to mention the chopper itself, while they jumping out and extremely vulnerable. Possibly also some strafing fire on a given area as the chopper fly circles around the target.

Door gunner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

please check this my friend

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Apr/28/2000793198/-1/-1/0/140313-F-XT249-348.JPG

image.jpg
Croat mi171sh3.jpg

no... do you?

besides may I ask how did you acquire that information? that they were not?

Yes I do, and specifically in this field.

As for the information about the engine, we all work on deductive reasoning. Circumstantial evidence.

1- The final cause of the crash was attributed to engine failure and insufficient training on part of the pilot. The first impact (due to rapid descent) and subsequent coning of the rotor blades in evidence of the fact. And this was also stated by Russian officials.

2- After initial impact, pilot tries to take off ASAP as is SOP and tries to gain forward motion first before attempting OEI takeoff. But IMO he applies too much pitch early on without enough collective, gets caught up in the swell and then sadly crashes. (This is what I infer from the video).

3- The engine was then taken apart and examined for signs of failure, fatigue, stresses, cracks and such. You do not put back a failed engine or even a working engine from such a catastrophic crash. The internal transmission and also the shaft mechanisms would be torn to shreds (as is seen in the video regarding the tail boom, look at how it practically explodes!).

As for the information about the engine, we all work on deductive reasoning. Circumstantial evidence.

1- The final cause of the crash was attributed to engine failure and insufficient training on part of the pilot. The first impact (due to rapid descent) and subsequent coning of the rotor blades in evidence of the fact. And this was also stated by Russian officials.

2- After initial impact, pilot tries to take off ASAP as is SOP and tries to gain forward motion first before attempting OEI takeoff. But IMO he applies too much pitch early on without enough collective, gets caught up in the swell and then sadly crashes. (This is what I infer from the video).

3- The engine was then taken apart and examined for signs of failure, fatigue, stresses, cracks and such. You do not put back a failed engine or even a working engine from such a catastrophic crash. The internal transmission and also the shaft mechanisms would be torn to shreds (as is seen in the video regarding the tail boom, look at how it practically explodes!).

Whats your opinion about Door Guns for the Pakistani Mi-8 and Mi-17 ?

Whats your opinion about Door Guns for the Pakistani Mi-8 and Mi-17 ?

Well first up, Pakistan has only Mi-17's at this moment, no Mi-8's, unless you include Mi-8MT in that.

As for the door guns, they should be employed for missions in which evac or troop insertion is involved, I don't see the harm in it. But the planners know best!

huh... thanks for the info

remember those old steam ships with paddle wheels? those wheels would be made of wood intentionally so that they would BREAK if they collided with something so that the engine would be preserved... but they had many paddlewheels so breaking one of them was acceptable they could repair those paddle wheels easily too.

Today I've learned that helicopters aren't made with that logic :D
so... either the rotors are stronger than I thought or the internal engine parts are weaker :)

it should be even more so on helicopters like AH64 where they made the rotors srong enough to withstand small arms fire up to 12.7mm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom