What's new

Pak-French Nuclear Cooperation [possibly]

Nuclear boycott

France is in fact not in a position to begin unilaterally transferring nuclear technology to Pakistan, says correspondent Hugh Schofield in Paris.

That is because Pakistan is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and is therefore the object of a boycott from other nuclear powers.

The highlighted part is something we need to keep in mind before even thinking other wise. I don't think we will be able to strike a nuclear deal with France, why because one reason is mentioned above and second US will pressurize France to back out and third India may play dirty politics here agreeing it will buy Rafale for its MRCA role only if France backs out from the deal. So unless Pakistan has money to sufficiently back it up meaning buying a squadron or two of Rafale, which we don't at the moment, the idea of getting a nuclear deal from France is too far fetched.

i hope USA this time not interfear again as they did it in era of 70 when great bhutto was incharge

The highlighted part is something we need to keep in mind before even thinking other wise. I don't think we will be able to strike a nuclear deal with France, why because one reason is mentioned above and second US will pressurize France to back out and third India may play dirty politics here agreeing it will buy Rafale for its MRCA role only if France backs out from the deal. So unless Pakistan has money to sufficiently back it up meaning buying a squadron or two of Rafale, which we don't at the moment, the idea of getting a nuclear deal from France is too far fetched.

IC, sir, in my opinion, I see India stuck and confused really as what to do?:what:

My judgment of this possible PAK-FRANCE deal in July is this: "It is possible" but it would be very difficult for India to decide what it wants, US or France!

India was able to get it's nuclear deal through US clearance only with France, and for this, God knows what went on between US and India, it is likely that India must have agreed to buy a lot of US military hardware in return of the MoU signed by Bush which allowed India this technology!

Now, if India wants to stop this deal from happening, which can be seen that it will try to! It will have to convince France not to agree to sell them the Technology and France's stand would be you give us $$$ and we might think about it, so if India chooses Rafale from France as MRCA, then US will hit back hard at India, using many diplomatic means. It (US) might also try to blackmail India by delaying or even cancelling it's recent US hardware purchases.

So, India in my view has much more at stake than Pakistan, they either decide to stop Pakistan from getting this technology or they might not open their mouth at all!

If they speak out then for sure, they have to decide between US or France, and this is where things get real dirty, no one wants to loose $12 Billion at this time of the year, easy money for west.:rofl::woot:

In my view Pakistan is the "Ultimate opportunist", when PAK see's an opportunity, it never waste's it, this was the opportunity for PAK to apply for this technology and they did!:pakistan:

In conclusion, consider MRCA to be a political decision now!:argh:

IC, sir, in my opinion, I see India stuck and confused really as what to do?:what:

My judgment of this possible PAK-FRANCE deal in July is this: "It is possible" but it would be very difficult for India to decide what it wants, US or France!

India was able to get it's nuclear deal through US clearance only with France, and for this, God knows what went on between US and India, it is likely that India must have agreed to buy a lot of US military hardware in return of the MoU signed by Bush which allowed India this technology!

Now, if India wants to stop this deal from happening, which can be seen that it will try to! It will have to convince France not to agree to sell them the Technology and France's stand would be you give us $$$ and we might think about it, so if India chooses Rafale from France as MRCA, then US will hit back hard at India, using many diplomatic means. It (US) might also try to blackmail India by delaying or even cancelling it's recent US hardware purchases.

So, India in my view has much more at stake than Pakistan, they either decide to stop Pakistan from getting this technology or they might not open their mouth at all!

If they speak out then for sure, they have to decide between US or France, and this is where things get real dirty, no one wants to loose $12 Billion at this time of the year, easy money for west.:rofl::woot:

In my view Pakistan is the "Ultimate opportunist", when PAK see's an opportunity, it never waste's it, this was the opportunity for PAK to apply for this technology and they did!:pakistan:

In conclusion, consider MRCA to be a political decision now!:argh:

A much better analysis i should say however there is one more angle to this, we know how worried US in reality is about Pakistan nukes, there might be a possibility that both US and India join in hands to pressurize France from backing out. Moreover I would have had some hope and i sincerely hope that i am proven wrong on this one however we should not forget who's government is there in Pakistan and whether he could really cash such an opportunity or is subjected to surrender under US pressure in a quest to fill his own pocket.

A much better analysis i should say however there is one more angle to this, we know how worried US in reality is about Pakistan nukes, there might be a possibility that both US and India join in hands to pressurize France from backing out. Moreover I would have had some hope and i sincerely hope that i am proven wrong on this one however we should not forget who's government is there in Pakistan and whether he could really cash such an opportunity or is subjected to surrender under US pressure in a quest to fill his own pocket.

IC, sir, it all come's down to one thing, Can US afford to loose us, at this point in history?

I haven't seen any criticism from US media what so ever, CNN, Fox and other's have kept quite, and the rest of the world media has reported this development, a very strong signal in my view, that US State Department is thinking deep, as to what kind of stance should they take, given the fact that many Pakistani's are fed-up with WOT and they want GoP to abandon it, and if US decides not to allow Pakistan, then in many Pakistanis hearts it will be clear that US does not want to see Pakistan prosper!

So, after this decision, there might be strike's all over Pakistan, and demonstrations organised by different political parties to ask US to take it's decision back or we drop out of their WOT!

Well, it is very difficult for Zardari's government to do this, as he is sold to US $$$, but US know's Pakistani politics very well, and might argue that this is nothing military, it's just civilian, and might allow Pakistan the tecnology given that Pakistan allows strict inspection of it's civilian nuclear facilities!

France has shown it's interest and nothing came out of US State Department (which is good signal in my view, because it they opposed the deal they would have spoken out by today!), so you and every one know's that their is a possibility that this deal might happen, in addition to this I haven't really seen any opposition what so ever from anyone in the world, just from Indian people, as usual!

So, let's really wait and see what happens in July!:pakistan:

France offers civilian N-technology to Pakistan Paris backs India-style deal; Zardari briefs Sarkozy on
counter-insurgency efforts; 12m euros for IDPs announced
Saturday, May 16, 2009

PARIS: French President Nicolas Sarkozy told his Pakistani counterpart Asif Zardari that he wanted the Muslim country to have a wide-ranging deal to buy nuclear equipment like the one obtained by its rival India, Pakistan said on Friday.

“France has agreed to transfer civilian nuclear technology to Pakistan ... They have agreed that Pakistan should be treated like India,” Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told reporters after President Zardari met Sarkozy.

“President Sarkozy said, and I quote him, ‘What can be done for India can be done for Pakistan as well.’ This is a major development,” Qureshi said after the meeting in Paris between Sarkozy and President Asif Ali Zardari.

Briefing the media on the meeting, Foreign Minister Qureshi said the negotiations regarding the transfer of civil nuclear technology will be held in July this year and a new framework agreement and Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is likely to be signed during the visit of the French president to Pakistan in September.

Qureshi said France had also agreed to provide 300 million Euros in assistance to Pakistan in addition to 12 million Euros for the internally displaced persons fleeing the Swat unrest.He spoke of Pakistan’s keenness to further develop and strengthen both its existing trade and commercial ties as well as defence relations with France, which is an important country within the European Union.

Qureshi described France as a very important trading partner of Pakistan and expressed his country’s desire to upgrade its relations in different sectors.Qureshi spoke about the next month’s EU-Pakistan summit in Brussels and was hopeful that France would support his country in getting greater market access for its produce.

The minister said in his recent talks with his British counterpart David Miliband in London, the UK had promised to extend similar support to Pakistan.An official in the Sarkozy’s office said France wanted Pakistan to improve its nuclear security but did not comment on the idea of an India-style deal.

“The president confirmed that we are prepared ... to cooperate with Pakistan in the area of nuclear safety,” he said. Qureshi dismissed concerns about the safety of Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal and its proliferation history. Like India, Pakistan has also not signed up the NPT. “We will assure the world that we are an important and a responsible nuclear power and we can handle these matters without threatening or endangering anyone,” he said.

“Pakistan has no issues with the IAEA. We are willing to give international guarantees. We want the world to feel secure, and Pakistan will give all necessary guarantees,” Qureshi said when asked about the feasibility of a Pakistani nuclear deal.

“The world recognises the steps Pakistan has taken to assure and protect its nuclear assets. Everyone who matters is confident about our arrangements, the three-layer security system that we have put in place.”

Asked when French shipments might begin, he said: “Today, in principle, the two countries agreed that there is a necessity that has to be fulfilled. In principle they’ve agreed, and now the modalities will be worked out.”

Earlier, President Asif Ali Zardari held extensive talks with his French counterpart Nicholas Sarkozy soon after his arrival in the French capital, covering the entire range of relations between Pakistan and France.

It is President Zardari’s first visit to France since he assumed the office.The two leaders reviewed the bilateral ties, regional security with focus on the situation in Afghanistan, the military operation in parts of the NWFP and matters of mutual concern.

Zardari said President Nicolas Sarkozy had been very generous during their meeting at the Elysee Palace. He said the French pledge was just a ìstartî but did not say how much more money France might give.

ìWe’ve come to an understanding for a larger cooperation for the strengthening of Pakistan, strengthening of the war going on in (the Swat Valley) and for a much better understanding bilaterally for the future together,î Zardari said.

Sarkozy emphasised the need for Pakistan to pursue its efforts against the Taliban and pledged to help Zardari in the fight against terrorism, said a presidential statement released after the meeting.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy extended support of his government in the war on terror and said his country was fully aware of the problems confronting the region, and was looking forward to contributing effectively to their resolution. The two leaders agreed to continue cooperation in all areas. President Zardari sought the assistance of his French counterpart in getting access for Pakistan to the EU markets. Later, in a brief chat with the media, the president said both the countries focussed on the need for having broader cooperation in all areas.

Answering a question, the president rejected any threat to democracy in the country. About the timing of the operation against the militants, he said it was in fact aimed at a certain mindset and would continue.

France offers civilian N-technology to Pakistan Paris backs India-style deal; Zardari briefs Sarkozy on

well we will obviously have to go through IAEA and NSG. and it wont be an easy thing. i mean lets be honest with each other

“President Sarkozy said, and I quote him, ‘What can be done for India can be done for Pakistan as well.’ This is a major development,” Qureshi said after the meeting in Paris between Sarkozy and President Asif Ali Zardari.

I have not as yet run across anyone other than Pakistani officials suggesting that France seek to develop a new nuclear supply relationship with Pakistan.

And readers will remain mindful of the history of relationships between the political party presently in power and the Mirage, Agusta and previous nuclear supply relationship with France, the 10% label afterall, did not just suddenly appear.

we will obviously have to go through IAEA and NSG. and it wont be an easy thing. i mean lets be honest with each other

These are not problems, the problems is from the other side, yes, the Bush Administration is history, however; strong opposition to the Pakistani nuclear program among certain circles is a given - and even if this hurdle can be surmounted, the financing of such projects will difficult, to say the least.

An Editorial from today's "The News International":

French power?

Sunday, May 17, 2009
Our president ended his marathon round of overseas visits with a meeting with President Sarkozy of France. France and Pakistan have enjoyed good relations for many years. The French wave no big sticks in our direction and tread a very independent line diplomatically – occasionally to the discomfort of their European allies and America. The meeting between the two leaders seemed productive – with the principal product being a 'civilian nuclear deal'. Or is it? There is some confusion about the precise nature of the 'deal' with our own diplomats saying that Mr Sarkozy has undertaken to supply Pakistan with "civilian nuclear technology" – which is not what the French diplomats in the Elysee Palace are saying. Their understanding is that the French have agreed to cooperate with Pakistan only in the field of 'nuclear safety' – which could mean any one of several things. Our usually sure-footed foreign minister speaking after the meeting talked of a 'significant development' and went on to say something that bears very close scrutiny indeed – "France has agreed to transfer civilian nuclear technology to Pakistan." The transfer of nuclear technology from country to country be it civilian or military is very tightly regulated; and we are eyed with considerable suspicion over nuclear matters by the wider world. The brakes were further applied when the French spokesperson said…"France was ready, within the framework of its international agreements, to co-operate with Pakistan in the field of nuclear safety. This is so the Pakistani programme can develop in the best conditions of safety and security." Which is some distance from transferring civilian nuclear technology.

The fact of the matter is that France cannot unilaterally transfer nuclear technology to Pakistan because we are not a signatory of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty and are therefore subject to a boycott of technology transfer by other powers. France is not going to breach an international treaty merely to give Pakistan a helping-hand – no matter how supportive of us they are. India was, until last year, in a similar position – but negotiated its way out of it to do a deal with the Americans. Pakistan would very much like to do the same, and doing a deal with France along the lines of that negotiated with India is an attractive prospect – if highly controversial for France. We need more power and we need it fast. Nuclear power stations take years to build and are hugely expensive and are not a fast solution, and there are other power-generating sources that we could develop before we went down the nuclear road – coal for instance, of which we have an under-exploited plenitude. Nobody in the world is going to get edgy about us developing coal-fired power generators unlike nuclear – which set alarm bells ringing all over the place. France may well help us to develop our nuclear resources and we welcome that – but the transfer of new nuclear technologies is a distant dream and our foreign minister needs to be a little more careful with his public utterances on the matter.

France and Pakistan have agreed to co-operate on civilian nuclear power, officials said, with Islamabad calling the move a "significant development".

But there is confusion over the deal reached by French President Nicolas Sarkozy and his Pakistani counterpart.

Pakistani officials said Mr Sarkozy had undertaken to supply Pakistan with "civilian nuclear technology".

But the Elysee Palace said France had agreed only to co-operate in the field of "nuclear safety".

Mixed messages
Speaking to reporters after talks between Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Mr Sarkozy, Pakistan's foreign minister outlined what he called a "significant development."

"France has agreed to transfer civilian nuclear technology to Pakistan," Shah Mahmood Qureshi told reporters.

Mr Qureshi said the move was in recognition of the growing "energy crisis" in Pakistan, citing the need for nuclear power to guarantee the country's electricity supply.

But later a spokesman for the French presidency was careful to rein in expectations, saying Mr Sarkozy had "confirmed France was ready, within the framework of its international agreements, to co-operate with Pakistan in the field of nuclear safety."

"This is so the Pakistani programme can develop in the best conditions of safety and security," the French spokesman added, according to AFP news agency.

As well as a nuclear power station, Pakistan has nuclear weapons, but increasing turmoil in the country has caused concern among Western powers about its safety.

Nuclear boycott

France is in fact not in a position to begin unilaterally transferring nuclear technology to Pakistan, says correspondent Hugh Schofield in Paris.

That is because Pakistan is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and is therefore the object of a boycott from other nuclear powers.

India was in a similar situation, but last year negotiated its way back into the nuclear fold.

Pakistan would like to follow suit, Hugh Schofield adds, but concerns over the stability of the government there means that any suggestion of countries like France transferring new nuclear technology are bound to be highly controversial.

The two leaders also discussed aid for civilians fleeing fighting in Pakistan's north-west.

France pledged 12m euros ($16.3m; £10.7m) in humanitarian aid, a day after Britain promised £12m.

France also reiterated its support for Pakistan's fight against the Taleban and "terrorist groups" in the region.
BBC NEWS | Europe | Pakistan in 'French nuclear deal'

Why need safety,in recent interview Mullen has said, US been working for the last 3 years for nuclear safety and security. So, there is unpublished agreement between US and Pak about safety and security issue. Why French jump inn. Just to pressurize India to buy Rafale jets.?

I worry about the U214 deal

Kayani meets Sarkozy: France wants to be Pakistan’s strategic partner

ISLAMABAD: French President Nicholas Sarkozy expressed his country’s desire for a strategic partnership with Pakistan during a meeting with Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Kayani in Paris on Tuesday.

According to APP, the French president told the army chief that Paris would help Pakistan build the capability to meet the challenges it was facing.

Gen Kayani also met the French foreign minister, defence minister, chief of defence staff and chief of army staff, and visited the French Army Headquarters.

Later on Tuesday, the army chief briefed NATO’s top officers in Brussels about the fight against the Taliban in northwestern Pakistan, AP said.

Officials discussed plans to provide training for Pakistani officers in NATO training centres, and reviewed the status of NATO’s main supply route to landlocked Afghanistan, NATO spokesman James Appathurai said. Gen Kayani also held talks with Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer
. agencies

I worry about the U214 deal

The French are being looked at in terms of multiple systems and subsystems, for all three arms of the military.

The issue is financing - if financing is not a concern, there is enough to go around for multiple players.

A lot of factors have to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom