What's new

Of Aamir Sohail v Prasad and match fixing allegations - Pak vs Ind - 1996 World Cup QF Match Review

logixlord

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pakistan and India have had many high tension, high intensity cricket matches in their history. But for sheer drama, theatrics, pendulum swings, the 1996 World Cup Quarter Final has to be at the top of the totem pole. A game symbolized by the Aamir Sohail vs Venkatesh Prasad confrontation; famous in one country, and infamous in the other.

What I find to be really funny is that Wasim Akram was blamed the most for this game for match fixing, when he didn't actually play in it. One would think that if you fixed a match, you would at least want to play in it if you want to control the outcome.

Full match highlights below. Interesting that Imran Khan was doing the commentary during the Sohail v Prasad incident:

Venkatesh Prasad on the Aamir Sohail incident. Till 18:30

Wasim Akram in the Kapil Show talking about the 1996 Quarter Final and aftermath.
From 33:40 Till 35:10

There was absolutely no need for that, Sohail was playing brilliantly but got too cocky and paid the price. Personally for me the best moments of the match is Waqar receiving that epic whipping from Ajay Jadeja of all people :lol:

There was absolutely no need for that, Sohail was playing brilliantly but got too cocky and paid the price. Personally for me the best moments of the match is Waqar receiving that epic whipping from Ajay Jadeja of all people :lol:

Indeed. If Prasad had started it, it would have still made some sense. But Prasad was saying nothing. Sohail started it, and basically sledged himself out !

Regarding Jadeja hitting Waqar Younis. I think, before this game, Waqar had an aura about him being unplayable. It sort of vanished after this point in his career.

Indeed. If Prasad had started it, it would have still made some sense. But Prasad was saying nothing. Sohail started it, and basically sledged himself out !

Regarding Jadeja hitting Waqar Younis. I think, before this game, Waqar had an aura about him being unplayable. It sort of vanished after this point in his career.
Waqar at his peak was even better than Akram, one of the most feared bowlers of his time, no one including Indians expected jadeja to demolish him like that, that was the turning point of the match, if it wasn't for Jadeja Prasad would not have had a formidable total to defend.

Every idiot has his ball (i mean cricket ball)

Bus pora hogaya politician banne ka khawab?

Corruption kion karte ho

Bus pora hogaya politician banne ka khawab?

Corruption kion karte ho

Hmmm. Did you guys write in the wrong thread by mistake? Not sure I get the relation with the 1996 Qtr Final.

Interesting. I don't think Sohail was playing the same shot. He was though, trying to hit him for a four again.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom