What's new

Oerlikon 35mm: Stalwart of Pakistan Air Defence

hope pakistan get top of the line quality anti aircraft guns to answer all indian questions in air warefare

Once PAF gets the HQ-9 or HQ-18, we are pretty much covered.

From F-16s to SU30s.

But we will need a full C4I integration and network centric operations.

I hope the new Chinese AWACs cen help with the HQ-18/9 etc.

Wastage of money.
Should have gone for HQ-9 SAM.

I hope you understand what you are saying. going by your logic, spending money on our 155 mm , 130mm towed and self propelled pieces is a waste of money and we should just be content with shaheen and Hataf missiles?

just like any other army organisation, the air defence is a mix of different arms and weapons that make up this whole system.
from the humble MG 1A3 to shoulder fired Anza, Singers to MANPAD RBS70s to 37MM Chinese guns to this Oerlikon Skygaurd based auto canons to SAM systems. every Anti Aircraft battery fills up its important role depending upon its weapon and the apparent threat/ target type.
think of the field positions in the cricket.. having a super awesome bowler doesn’t mean you don’t want anyone in the slips do you?
ok wrong analogy but I hope you get the point.
This gun can make any Indian airplane into a Spanish Omlet if it is unlucky to come in its range, specially anyone on a strike mission so Indian Mig 27s or Jaguars are on its menu. We rather save our HQ9 SAMS for Indian SU30s and Mig29s. But then again it all depends on the situation on the ground and in the air so the best available and appropriate weapon will be used.

The Anti aircraft guns are definitely not a waste of money.

But we will need a full C4I integration and network centric operations.

PAF is already a fully net centric organizations, we have had full C41 Integration for quite some time. PA should be a fully net centric organization by the end of the year or start of next. Finally our officers at GHQ and Air Central Command are thinking in the right direction.

The Anti aircraft guns are definitely not a waste of money.

They would be a waste of money if they were not radar guided and not connected to our central grid, but fortunately they are and for low flying aircrafts they are absolutely lethal. Its the same as using smart munitions, its first burst first hit. Don't worry about our Air Defence; from what i have been told we have the high, medium and low altitudes covered. Unless the Indians develop something equivalent to a Raptor, they cannot close our Air Space without us knowing.

Iran has protected Nuclear reactors with 1,700 Anti-aircraft. Not sure if I remember, it was easy to jam anti-aircraft in Iraq during Israel bombs 1982.

@ IB

Nothing is there th i have to say after all you said it all.

Discussing this more will only result in more revelations, which ofcourse i dont want to be a part of.

and yes, thanks for the great posts. :tup:

@Irfan Baloch: Sir, we cannot expect this thing to take out the Sukhois or the latest fighters, can we?

@Irfan Baloch: Sir, we cannot expect this thing to take out the Sukhois or the latest fighters, can we?

If they come into their range, definitely they can take them down.

These are AA guns with limited range for a specific purpose, they are not for taking down high flying aircraft, rather they are for the low level aircraft for point defence and they are very good at that.

If they come into their range, definitely they can take them down.

These are AA guns with limited range for a specific purpose, they are not for taking down high flying aircraft, rather they are for the low level aircraft for point defence and they are very good at that.

Very true.

These guns can knock out Apache and Cobras, when flying low.

Good for providing coverage to advancing troops from enemy Gunships.

For Aircraft, i think PAF should focus on SAMs.

@ IB

Nothing is there th i have to say after all you said it all.

Discussing this more will only result in more revelations, which ofcourse i dont want to be a part of.

and yes, thanks for the great posts. :tup:

please let me know if I need to ammed or remove something. I only share what is public knowledge in the form of internet or is common military practice over the world. I had another post ready but I shall share it in that "exclusive" section for you to have a look. in case you feel that its too much information then I can tone it down a bit.

They would be a waste of money if they were not radar guided and not connected to our central grid, but fortunately they are and for low flying aircrafts they are absolutely lethal. Its the same as using smart munitions, its first burst first hit. Don't worry about our Air Defence; from what i have been told we have the high, medium and low altitudes covered. Unless the Indians develop something equivalent to a Raptor, they cannot close our Air Space without us knowing.

they are a force multiplier and form the part of the intigrated air defence command. they are immune to radar jamming and are risk free from SEAD operations and AGM attacks. they are perfect to shoot down low flying aircrafts including drones and helicopters.
they can force the target to fly intoa death trap of other more powerful air defences if the target manages to survive.

I will share more bit later

Imagine a gun firing at a rate of 550 round per minute (per barrel) High Explosive Incendiary rounds and/ or Semi-Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary rounds where each round weights roughly 1.5 KG and travels at a speed of 1100+ m/s (or over 1 km/s) with a cieling of 4 km. it means the round reaches its ceiling in less than 4 to 5 seconds (if the plane is flying at say 8 to 10 thousand feet) and it is not alone it has his brothers, sisters and cousins with it.. some incendiary, some high explosives, some armour piecing and some the mix of above. Also like all anti aircraft guns, this one also “aims off” along the flight path of craft pretty mush nullifying any chance of escape. The amount of metal being thrown out at the aircraft would rip the plane apart whether it’s a SU30 or MiG 29 or whatever.

cheers :cheers:

^^ However; I don't think so that the planes namely MiG-29 & Su-30 u mentioned will fly anywhere close to 10000ft. These planes as we know are air superiority weapons not some ground to surface coverage warplanes & I doubt such planes will fly anywhere less than 30000ft. For ground attack Frogfoot is a much viable option that is within reach of ack-ack guns

^^ However; I don't think so that the planes namely MiG-29 & Su-30 u mentioned will fly anywhere close to 10000ft. These planes as we know are air superiority weapons not some ground to surface coverage warplanes & I doubt such planes will fly anywhere less than 30000ft. For ground attack Frogfoot is a much viable option that is within reach of ack-ack guns

you are right, I and Taimikhan are marely saying that "IF" these planes "DO" come in the range of these guns, they wont survive the burst. in my previous posts I specifically mentioned the strike role aircrafts and helicopters etc. reason to mention these air superiority aircrafts was because someone implied as if the guns wont harm them, of course they wont if they are flying over 4 KM or 13k Ft.

Back
Top Bottom