What's new

Obama warned Turkey

Jigs,

What does this mean for Turkey's independent foreign policy in the future? Given that Turkey is a NATO member, this caution from US has probably thrown the benefit of the pact into doubt for some at least. Would Turkey look to alternate suppliers more aggressively?

Will this move by Obama lead to some readjustments or will this have to wait out until the current government is done with its term and then back to the old alignment with the US? Lastly, what is the implication of Erdogan and company getting elected for a second term on this development?

Erdogan needs to get out of office is what it means. 3rd term you mean he is will be running for the 3rd time(which he said he will resign if he loses) What needs to be done is to get the CHP back in office. This will normalize relations quickly. We can not seek alternate suppliers it won't work.

What needs to be done is to get the CHP back in office

AKP under Recep Erdoğan will win next elections. Under AKP and Erdogan Turkey has regained its international status and has one of the best economies in Europe. CHP under Alevi Kurd Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has very low chance of winning elections.

Without the pre work of former Finance Minister Kemal Dervis turkish Economy has regained, it was not Erdogans Succes.

AKP under Recep Erdoğan will win next elections. Under AKP and Erdogan Turkey has regained its international status and has one of the best economies in Europe. CHP under Alevi Kurd Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has very low chance of winning elections.

That is not true. All polls show gain in support for CHP since Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu came into office. Seeing as CHP is the second largest party in Turkey i see their chances as very reasonable.

This is weird. I didn't expect this kind of mediation to solve this crisis. But what most Turks talk here with US in mind is sensible. Turkey has been a customer of US since so many years. It is almost impossible to change the supplier in a flick of a pen signature.

There might have been better ways to solve this from a neutral POV though. For a liberal president like Obama (compared to his predecessor), even this is astounding feat.

In 1974 when Turkey invaded northern Cyprus, without being NATO Member or an ally of US Turkey were bombed to Stoneage by US !
This is the first time i heard about this - Care to share more info - Why did US bomb Turkey?Is it because Greece of in NATO and Cyprus was under NATO control?I always thought Turkey was NATO Great Ally during Cold War.Hopefully US won't put arms embargo otherwise this might endanger Pakistan's F16's MLU.

White House denies giving Turkey ultimatum over Israel, Iran

White House denies giving Turkey ultimatum over Israel, Iran - Yahoo! News

MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AFP) – The White House on Monday denied press reports that President Barack Obama warned Turkey it could lose its chance to obtain US-made weapons over its position on Israel and Iran.

Britain's Financial Times newspaper quoted a senior official as saying that Obama told Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan that "some of the actions that Turkey has taken have caused questions to be raised on the Hill" referring to the US Congress.

These questions centered on "whether we can have confidence in Turkey as an ally," said the official.

But while he confirmed the two leaders spoke several days ago, White House spokesman Bill Burton denied that any "ultimatum" had been issued to Ankara.

"I really don't know where they would have divined that from," he said.

"The president and Erdogan did speak about 10 days ago and they talked about Iran and the flotilla and other issues related to that," Burton said.

"We obviously have an ongoing dialogue with them, but no such ultimatum was issued."

Erdogan wants to buy American drone aircraft to combat separatist Kurdish rebels after the US military withdraws from Iraq at the end of 2011, the Financial Times reported.

The rebel group, the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), has bases in the mountains in the north of Iraq, near the Turkish border.

The United States voiced disappointment after Turkey voted against fresh UN sanctions on Iran, which the United Nations Security Council adopted in June.

Ankara argued that Tehran should be given a chance to carry out a nuclear fuel swap deal, brokered by Turkey and Brazil.

The paper quoted the unnamed official as saying congressional concerns over Turkey mean "that some of the requests Turkey has made of us, for example in providing some of the weaponry that it would like to fight the PKK, will be harder for us to move through Congress."

Relations between Turkey and Israel were thrown into crisis after an Israeli raid targeting Gaza-bound aid ships on May 31 that left nine Turks dead.

Obama called on Turkey to cool its rhetoric about the raid when he met Erdogan at the G20 summit in Toronto in June, said the FT.

This is the first time i heard about this - Care to share more info - Why did US bomb Turkey?Is it because Greece of in NATO and Cyprus was under NATO control?I always thought Turkey was NATO Great Ally during Cold War.Hopefully US won't put arms embargo otherwise this might endanger Pakistan's F16's MLU.

I don't remember hearing this. Turkey joined during the Korean war and since then was a member of NATO and i never heard of the U.S. attacking Turkey.

I think Skywalker1983 is saying that IF Turkey was NOT member of NATO in 1974 then United States MAY have bombed Turkey when it invaded Cyprus in 1974.

I think US Secretary of State Kissinger actually supported the Turkish invasion and separation of Greek and Turkish zones in Cyprus.

In 1974 when Turkey invaded northern Cyprus, without being NATO Member or an ally of US Turkey were bombed to Stoneage by US !

I don't remember hearing this. Turkey joined during the Korean war and since then was a member of NATO and i never heard of the U.S. attacking Turkey.

I think Skywalker1983 is saying that IF Turkey was NOT member of NATO in 1974 then United States MAY have bombed Turkey when it invaded Cyprus in 1974.

I think US Secretary of State Kissinger actually supported the Turkish invasion and separation of Greek and Turkish zones in Cyprus.

Yes, I mean it were likely possible when Turkey was not Member of NATO that US had bombed Turkey.

Yes, I mean it were likely possible when Turkey was not Member of NATO that US had bombed Turkey.

:what: Are you serious? Even under weapon sanctions to Turkey, F4 Phantoms have delivered to Turkey...

Why would Americka get involved to any crisis in cyprus? There is no petrol... And in 1974 Cyprus invasion was not the main reason of Ambargoe to Turkey,

The main reason was the starting of 'hasheesh'(some kind of weed) planting again. Actually this is not clear...

:what: Are you serious? Even under weapon sanctions to Turkey, F4 Phantoms have delivered to Turkey...

Why would Americka get involved to any crisis in cyprus? There is no petrol... And in 1974 Cyprus invasion was not the main reason of Ambargoe to Turkey,

The main reason was the starting of 'hasheesh'(some kind of weed) planting again. Actually this is not clear...

There was no Oil found duuring this Time, but the Island is strategic Important to Controll the eastern medieran. Cyprus is an unsinkable Aircraft Carrier, I don't think the West had Turkey allowed to Conquer all of Cyprus durring 1974 Peace Operation.

In Case of the Aegean when Greece claim 12 Miles in the Aegean and Turkey as a non NATO Member Defend it's Rights, Turkey will Risk a collective defense Case by NATO. I will only say Turkey can not risk being kicke'd out of NATO !

Turkey can not risk being kicke'd out of NATO !

No my friend, you are wrong...

NATO can not risk Turkey's membership... After fall of the wall, people are questioning why NATO still exists already and without a soviet union Turkey dont need to be a NATO member

Things have changed you dinosour :cheesy::rofl:

No my friend, you are wrong...

NATO can not risk Turkey's membership... After fall of the wall, people are questioning why NATO still exists already and without a soviet union Turkey dont need to be a NATO member

Things have changed you dinosour :cheesy::rofl:

Here my answer !:wave:

ARTICLE V

A collective security organization settles disputes among its members. In contrast, a collective defense organization assists a member state under attack by an outside country. NATO is a collective defense organization. Article V states that NATO members must consider coming to the aid of an ally under attack. However, it does not guarantee assistance. Article V is the Treaty's key provision and the linchpin binding the United States to its NATO allies. It states, in part, that "an armed attack against one or more [allies] shall be considered an attack against them all." Additional language makes clear that the commitment to assist an ally is not unconditional. Rather, each signatory will assist the ally under attack with "such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force ......"(1) Since the early 1990s, NATO has begun to adopt "new missions," such as crisis management and peacekeeping, sometimes referred to as "non-Article V missions." Current members and candidate states, however, believe collective defense, as expressed in Article V, remains the core of the alliance, a view likely to endure as long as the possibility of a nationalistic, aggressive Russia remains.

USIA -- NATO: Article V and Collective Defense

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom