What's new

North East Asian culture & influence

At its good side, with good and positive attitude, indeed they can be good younger brothers of Chinese people. After all the Japanese have been adopting so much Chinese culture in their day-to-day life, even blending them so well into the society that they may boldly claim those practices as their native ones.

Cultural speaking, China, Japan and Korea share the same root, before THAAD we open our arm fro Korean cultural and entertainment business but we still very skeptical to accept Japan's counterpart and less likely that Japanese singers or entertaining group want to be in China knowing that they will not be welcome due to political and historical reason but we Chinese should take the initiative to open our mind and heart toward Japan and welcome them as well, the more we share experience together and friendship, the less we will be hostile and knife throwing at each other, I know some people here don't like my suggestion but please don't take me as 汉奸:D

I like Korean song

and I like Japanese song too

Last edited:
On the mention of music, there's so much Japanese music :-)

Some influence in the traditional instruments, such as the koto or shamisen, can be found coming from China. But I'd have to say that the biggest foreign influence in all this music is America by far. Nonetheless, obviously there is still a lot of a very Japanese-only essence involved. But I would also say that to some extent, at some level, there is also a human level in the music here that can be found in music from any nation.

The beginning part of this sound track from Shin Godzilla (which is from Evangelion) is used at the end of the Chinese military video.

Cultural speaking, China, Japan and Korea share the same root, before THAAD we open our arm fro Korean cultural and entertainment business but we still very skeptical to accept Japan's counterpart and less likely that Japanese singers or entertaining group want to be in China knowing that they will not be welcome due to political and historical reason but we Chinese should take the initiative to open our mind and heart toward Japan and welcome them as well, the more we share experience together and friendship, the less we will be hostile and knife throwing at each other, I know some people here don't like my suggestion but please don't take me as 汉奸:D

I like Korean song

and I like Japanese song too
Today, the Jpop have lost their shine in the Asian market, where they are beaten badly by the Kpop. But I have to admit that the Japanese make better music than Korean.

Today, the Jpop have lost their shine in the Asian market, where they are beaten badly by the Kpop. But I have to admit that the Japanese make better music than Korean.

Kpop or Jpop won't make any difference since we don't understand what they sing anyway but I think most Chinese feel more ease and comfortable to Kpop because we don't have historical issue. If Chinese equally support Jpop as Kpop then you will see a fierce competition to access Chinese market but for now Kpop enjoy not competition in China. Personally I don't like pop I rather like Korean and Japanese traditional song.

When did I say that China is a communist country in economics?

But look at the whole state as such, and it is still completely borrowed from USSR. Marxism, and leninism are still espoused and propagated through out the system.

Also, looking from your second para: Are you suggesting that a democratic China will be even more powerful?
Mao revolution was a peasant's uprising more in common in Chinese history. Nothing in common with USSR's revolution.

Kpop or Jpop won't make any difference since we don't understand what they sing anyway but I think most Chinese feel more ease and comfortable to Kpop because we don't have historical issue. If Chinese equally support Jpop as Kpop then you will see a fierce competition to access Chinese market but for now Kpop enjoy not competition in China. Personally I don't like pop I rather like Korean and Japanese traditional song.

Me too like less much the pop culture incl. music, enjoy more the traditional music (folk songs, minority ethnic music and so on). Decades ago I would also enjoy the Japanese music of that era, back then it tended to have melancholic melody so even though I did not understand its meaning I could sense its sorrow... however, there's pervert side of JP culture so one must be very cautious nowadays... some part has been promoting too free in sexual life and other perversion and it's all reflected in certain part of its culture (movie, comic, etc)! Not a fan of K-pop or any pop :-)

Commentary: Japan should reposition its China strategybefore joining China-initiated development plans
(People's Daily Online) 15:57, May 17, 2017

FOREIGN201705171600000098671298556.jpg

File photo

Recent remarks from Japanese officials appeared to indicate a willingness to move forward with China-initiated development proposals, yet many are adopting a wait-and-see attitude, hoping that Japan can first solve the problem of tense bilateral ties.

During a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, speaking as a representative of the Japanese government, Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) Secretary-General Toshihiro Nikai said Japan and China need to cooperate. Xi said that Japan has clearly endorsed the Belt and Road Initiative, and is welcome to talk with China about cooperating within its framework, China Daily reported.

Nikai later told reporters that the key would be how quickly Japan decides whether to participate, Reuters reported.

As a major political figure in Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s LDP, Nikai’s comments received careful attention, as they were thought to offer clues into whether Japan is changing its attitude toward China’s proposals.

Japan had previously shown reluctance to get involved in China's Belt and Road Initiative, and only recently decided to send a delegation to the forum. Japan and the U.S. are the only G7 members not to have signed up for the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), the Global Times reported.

According to Sankei Shimbun, former Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama took to Twitter to say that the Belt and Road Initiative "eyes peace and prosperity," and that he feels "Japan is somehow lagging behind.”

Japan has undoubtedly been facing serious socioeconomic issues, and a vast market overseas can support its economic development in the coming decades. This market can mainly be found in rising powers and third-world countries, since the European economy is witnessing unsatisfying growth and the U.S. will be challenged to maintain rapid growth, Xiakedao, a WeChat news account run by the People’s Daily, pointed out.

All this has forced Japan to rely on regional projects like the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) to integrate resources in the Asia Pacific, the commentary in Xiakedao explained, adding that Japan’s persistent conflicts with China have also prevented it from enjoying the development offered by China’s proposals.

Prior to Nikai’s comments, Abe has previously said that he could be open to joining the AIIB, if only questions surrounding the environmental impact of its projects and a few other issues were resolved, Kyodo News reported.

What lies beneath Abe’s statement is doubt and concern that AIIB may become a tool for China’s economic expansion, yet Japan cannot deny what it has been missing over the past months, as AIIB has grown into a 77-member international body and the TPP has fallen apart, the commentary stated.

Remarks by Japanese officials have indicated the country’s unwillingness to miss out on more of the benefits to be gained from Asian infrastructure development. The remarks also indicate a possible intention by Japan to cast more influence over the AIIB, even though it could not enjoy the rights of a founding member, according to the commentary.

Lü Yaodong, a Japanese diplomacy researcher at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said that being part of the initiative and the bank would help Japan to improve its ties with China, though it remains to be seen whether Japan will take further action in that regard, China Daily reported.

Both countries should think deeply about the problems underlying their strained ties, and take measures to change the situation. Many in China hope that Japan will work with China to eliminate such disturbances and promote the positive development of Sino-Japanese relations, Xi said during the meeting with Nikai.

“What we would like to know is whether Japan is completely changing its strategy of confronting China, or if it is merely a strategic easing. We would definitely offer a warm welcome in the first case; in the second, we show welcome and also regret,” the commentary read.

So Mr. Abe's major concern is the environmental impact of the Belt and Road? I think that concern can easily be appeased.

Have anyone here ever lived in Mongolia. I know a lot about this country, but from books only and never been there. Should this country considered North East Asian, or Central Asian/East Europe. I know that several decades ago, Mongolian leaders claimed they were parts of East Europe like other Central Asian countries and wanted to integrate more with this area, but I would like to know about their culture and their living philosophy. Are these closer to North East Asian like Korea, or closer to Central Asian like Kazakhstan?

Only China, Vietnam and Korea are Confucian societies, Japan is NOT although Japan copied some forms of Chinese culture in Tang and Song. If you dig into Japanese culture, there're lots of weird stuff, e.g. a Japanese father can have a bath with his young daughter in the same pool, this weird habit is absolutely unacceptable in a Confucian society.

Confucius has few influence in Japan, Shinto and Buddhism are more influential. Japan's culture is basically a twisted mixture of their native ideologies and some forms of Chinese culture. You can find this phenomenon in Japanese language, a mixture of Japanese character and Hanji, very discord and odd. Don't look at the problem on surface only. Some Vietnamese and Korean are descendants of Chinese because they both were ever part of China. e.g. President of Softbank, Masayoshi Son whose family name is a typical Han family name in Shandong Province. Son's ancestor immigrated to Korea from Shandong, then immigrated to Japan. Regarding Vietnam, too many examples.
Japanese have adopted much of western culture and influence. Father and daughter bath together is not uncommon here in the west :D

Japanese have adopted much of western culture and influence. Father and daughter bath together is not uncommon here in the west :D

OMG Father and daughter bath together :hitwall:

Have anyone here ever lived in Mongolia. I know a lot about this country, but from books only and never been there. Should this country considered North East Asian, or Central Asian/East Europe. I know that several decades ago, Mongolian leaders claimed they were parts of East Europe like other Central Asian countries and wanted to integrate more with this area, but I would like to know about their culture and their living philosophy. Are these closer to North East Asian like Korea, or closer to Central Asian like Kazakhstan?

I don't know about Outer Mongolian but Inner Mongolian should be consider as north east Asian :D, they look more alike our northern brothers and sisters but Vietnamese look more alike us from the south.:p:

Last edited:
OMG Father and daughter bath together :hitwall:

I don't know about Outer Mongolian but Inner Mongolian should be consider as north east Asian :D, they look more alike our northern brothers and sisters but Vietnamese look more alike us from the south.:p:

I had this week an opportunity talk to a Japanese that was born and grew up in Germany. It is really interesting. Although he looks East Asian or Japanese or Chinese but how he speaks and behaves is no difference to a western white guy. I haven't ever observed such behavior at a Chinese.

But who knows, with rising prosperity Chinese will adopt western cultures and custom, copying some cultural greatness from Japan, though I don't believe you will copy father daughter bathing, maybe not so quick :woot:

Anyway no worry, Vietnam will always hold the banner of Chinese civilization :-)

Back
Top Bottom