What's new

North East Asian culture & influence

However, the CCP wants everyone to believe in it. Look at many recent events. They want you to believe in it. And are even putting in efforts for you to believe in it.
Every government want its people to believe in something.
US government want its people to believe that Saddam has WMD.
South Korean government want its people to believe that the history of Korea is about 5000 years more than China.
Indian governmeng want you to believe that the expansion after your independence in subcontinent is reasonable .

Do you fully believe what your politicians claim what they will deliver ? Then you are very naive.

What are you talking about? They are a democracy, therefore all elected Indian politicians are honest and fulfill their election promises. they totally didn't run for office just to make their family richer, come on. that's why India will be superpower by 2020.

Wow! Why such hate?

1. Korea was not a puppet of China, ever! You need to read history a little bit.
  2. With this current attitude, you are harming China's current strategic security by sending Korea into arms of the US.
  3. Both Korea and Japan accepted major parts of Chinese culture, true. But they also had their own culture to mix it with, along with the refinements that they did to "Chinese culture."
  4. Culture is not a property of someone.
  5. China was one of the most sophisticated country in terms of culture and soft power back then. Everyone wanted to emulate China. But today? Nope. Today's China has no culture, political and belief system, that others want to emulate. Don't you think that is a problem with regaining China's past status in East Asia?
  6. In fact, today it is China that copies everything from the west. Not only China, even India. Your whole state ideology is based on Marxism, Leninism, who are two western people. Your political system is based on Lenin's USSR. You copy west when it comes to science, and scientific theories; economic and financial system; etc.
  7. As demonstrated above, the fact is that people do copy from what is considered best at that time.
You shouldn't be bothered by the Chinese. Their mindset has not changed since the Han. They are stucked in the past as if the time stands still. Better let them live in their delusion.

As someone who is a Caucasian , Croat, I do believe that Japanese followed by Korean culture is more prominent in the West compared to Chinese. That might change one day but I don't see any cultural medias like: kpop, jpop, anime, Asian-movies coming from China that are being widely accepted and consumed.
Those that say that all Asian culture is basically Chinese culture I would have to disagree with you. Culture is constantly evolving and absorbing aspects from other cultures. Look at how prevalent American culture has become around the World.

As someone who is a Caucasian , Croat, I do believe that Japanese followed by Korean culture is more prominent in the West compared to Chinese. That might change one day but I don't see any cultural medias like: kpop, jpop, anime, Asian-movies coming from China that are being widely accepted and consumed.
Those that say that all Asian culture is basically Chinese culture I would have to disagree with you. Culture is constantly evolving and absorbing aspects from other cultures. Look at how prevalent American culture has become around the World.
You are talking about cultures in a different context, That Eastern Asian cultures are basically Chinese culture is right, basically here means the base, the origin, from which they came and evolve, in this case, it's ok to say that American culture is basically western country, cause that's their roots. what you are talking about is modern entertainment and life style culture, that culture does change fast, very often it's based on a country's overall national strength, in this case China is a new kid on the block, barely one or two decades.

You are talking about cultures in a different context, That Eastern Asian cultures are basically Chinese culture is right, basically here means the base, the origin, from which they came and evolve, in this case, it's ok to say that American culture is basically western country, cause that's their roots. what you are talking about is modern entertainment and life style culture, that culture does change fast, very often it's based on a country's overall national strength, in this case China is a new kid on the block, barely one or two decades.

You are right in that the base of Asian culture is Chinese , from social structure to architecture. I am merely referring to the way some try to demean Japanese or Korean culture as simply copycat culture, i however think Chinese should take pride in their culture and its historic influence not use it as an petty insult.
I think that 30 years from now you will start seeing Japanese and even Korean influence in China to an even greater extent. So culture from this point on will only influence each other mutually.
No shame in taking in, adapting and using aspects of others culture. Of course with caution.

You are right in that the base of Asian culture is Chinese , from social structure to architecture. I am merely referring to the way some try to demean Japanese or Korean culture as simply copycat culture, i however think Chinese should take pride in their culture and its historic influence not use it as an petty insult.
I think that 30 years from now you will start seeing Japanese and even Korean influence in China to an even greater extent. So culture from this point on will only influence each other mutually.
No shame in taking in, adapting and using aspects of others culture. Of course with caution.
Of course cultures themselves evolve, China has 30 provinces and most of them are bigger than either Korea or Japan with more population stretching from the very edge of the pacific all the way to central Asia, each province also has their own distinct culture, we never deny their cultures, but we all have a common base culture.

You are giving examples of pop culture.

KPOP, anime, manga, most movies etc are forms of low culture.

In contrast, China has influenced Japan, the two Koreas and other Asian countries aeons ago through high culture. These are things like landscape paintings, philosophy, high art, traditional forms of music, elaborate silk clothing, "Eastern" customs, architectures and such forth.

In a Western context:
Hollywood blockbusters, chart music, hip hop dancing, Kim Kardashian = low culture
Theatre, orchestras, ballet, Shakespeare = high culture

Learn the difference!

In contrast, China has influenced Japan, the two Koreas and other Asian countries aeons ago through high culture. These are things like landscape paintings, philosophy, high art, traditional forms of music, elaborate silk clothing, "Eastern" customs, architectures and such forth.

In a Western context:
Hollywood blockbusters, chart music, hip hop dancing, Kim Kardashian = low culture

Learn the difference!

I was speaking of examples of culture and didn't specify if it was high or low. I am not denying China's immense influence and cultural dominance in the region for thousands of years. China was and is again becoming the Middle Kingdom, I just hope it is of benevolence.

In a Western context:

Learn the difference!

And that 'low culture' is far far more influential and massive than the 'high culture' in today's context. The average man on the street derives his impression of another country from these 'low culture'.

And that 'low culture' is far far more influential and massive than the 'high culture' in today's context. The average man on the street derives his impression of another country from these 'low culture'.

Depends on who you're dealing with and your social circle. But it's true the average person is more likely to watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians than read the works of Sun Tzu.

Actually I'm not too sure. Most forms of low culture come and go. They are fads / trends that go out of style and have a short shelf life. High culture is forever and long lasting. There will always be interest in it and it is often approached in an academic or scholarly way.

Depends on who you're dealing with and your social circle. But it's true the average person is more likely to watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians than read the works of Sun Tzu.

Actually I'm not too sure. Most forms of low culture come and go. They are fads / trends that go out of style and have a short shelf life. High culture is forever and long lasting. There will always be interest in it and it is often approached in an academic or scholarly way.

That's the thing about it. It has a short shelf life and therefore it's always new and dynamic, capturing people's attention in this age of internet with a huge variety of cultural products. Some will evolve into a industry that generate billions of revenue, such as Hollywood and anime/manga. If it's really good and popular, some will turn into a timeless classic such as Titanic and Pokemon.

In a Western context:

Learn the difference!

You are a bit wrong about the western context.
The high culture of western culture are : Western clothing, English Language, Christian Religion / culture, manner / etiquette, lifestyle.

For Chinese context, it's Confucian, writing, and the things that you have written. I think it is Confucian that really-really influence the East Asian (and South East Asian as well) tradition and culture. You know why, because there is no other culture in the world that make you call your big brother and big sister as onii chan, one chan (Japanese), gege, jiejie, meme (Chinese), Oppa, unni (Korean), (I don't know about Vietnamese), mas, mbak (Javanese, Indonesian), etc in the world beside Confucian.

You are a bit wrong about the western context.
The high culture of western culture are : Western clothing, English Language, Christian Religion / culture, manner / etiquette, lifestyle.

For Chinese context, it's Confucian, writing, and the things that you have written. I think it is Confucian that really-really influence the East Asian (and South East Asian as well) tradition and culture. You know why, because there is no other culture in the world that make you call your big brother and big sister as onii chan, one chan (Japanese), gege, jiejie, meme (Chinese), Oppa, unni (Korean), (I don't know about Vietnamese), mas, mbak (Javanese, Indonesian), etc in the world beside Confucian.

No, that's not the high culture of the Western world. English is not a high culture language, Latin (and Ancient Greek) is. I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Please google high culture so you know what it means. It means opera, ballet, renaissance art (Michelangelo, Da Vinci etc), orchestras, Mozart, baroque music etc. This is considered high culture. Religion and christianity is not really considered an aspect of high culture.

Eg:
http://i.imgur.com/Wprsoqc.png

In an East Asian context, high culture is Confucius, Laozi, Mencius, Micius, Hanzi calligraphy, landscape paintings, tea culture, sericultural textiles, woodblock paintings, lacquered crafts, celadon pottery, the various opera styles, Classical Chinese (used by all Sinosphere countries) etc.

That's the thing about it. It has a short shelf life and therefore it's always new and dynamic, capturing people's attention in this age of internet with a huge variety of cultural products. Some will evolve into a industry that generate billions of revenue, such as Hollywood and anime/manga. If it's really good and popular, some will turn into a timeless classic such as Titanic and Pokemon.

It has a short shelf life meaning it doesn't really last. Hong Kong cinema and Cantopop was very popular in the 80s or 90s, wasn't it? Taiwanese pop was very popular in the early 2000s wasn't it? Are people going to care about Kim Kardashian after she dies? I doubt it.

Low culture comes and goes. It affects a certain generation and the "now" but it's better to think long term. What's recorded in history is advancements and innovations in a certain area. That is why China is investing so much into research and innovation.

Last edited:
Chinese Korean or Korean Chinese?

I can't believe that you are rejoicing this article.

This is highly insulting.

China has ALWAYS been an assimilating culture. Anyone can be huaren, if they accept culture. Pretty much similar to America.

But do you see blatant propaganda.

What would happen if this author goes and says, "How Washington turned Chinese into americans"

Or that since China is literally called the motherland in Chinese, even by Chinese abroad, they must necessarily be Chinese.

Or that this is a brave new world?????

Are you kidding me?

Brave new world is a dystopia novel. These people dare to suggest that this is a hell now that Chinese are Chinese?

Is it brave new world in America as well?

They continue to talk mourn that these people don't have any loyality to South Korea on the other hand these people cheer that Chinese Americans have no loyality to China.

@wanglaokan @TaiShang @AndrewJin @beijingwalker

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom