What's new

New pics of INS Vikramditya

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Check it out- most of the work seems complete, although there is, still, some work to do:

z_af276926.jpg

z_5ef87e53.jpg

I see lots of works yet to be done! The bridge/island need lots of works! Do not know if they will be able to maintain the time-frame this time.

@kinetic
why are'nt we thinking of getting a real big AC atleast of 70000 ton disp. ??? why are we going for smaller ones.
even this is just 45000 tonne.

@kinetic
why are'nt we thinking of getting a real big AC atleast of 70000 ton disp. ??? why are we going for smaller ones.

Here is my thoughts....

India is interested in this region, South East Asia to Africa as well as Bay of Bengal, Arabian sea and Indian ocean where we need to project power. If we consider the naval capabilities of the navies of this region Indian navy is quite ahead of them and medium size carriers are perfect.

If we need large carriers we will need much more investment, much more operating and maintainable costs, while we have other priorities as well mainly destroyers and submarines. IN is investing huge sum of money on submarines and destroyers. After IAC-1, the IAC-2 will be around 65000 ton, with many more fighters and choppers. This is needed only by 2020, when our economy and defence capabilities grows further. But as of now two 45000 ton carriers with small Viraat are enough. They can create havoc to any non-US naval fleet and coast in the region.

Why US needs large carriers? Because their area of interest is the whole world and they have to operate far from home.

One AC in in bay of bengal with longer range fighters and one in Arabian sea with NLCAs ..:cheers:

@kinetic

We missed the opportunity, we could have bought Vrayag (65,000 ton disp). Don't worry IAC II will make you happy. It is supposed to be supercarrier (>60,000 ton disp) ...

I am not getting any update on IAC II, But I think that secretively its kneel is laid...

We missed the opportunity, we could have bought Vrayag (65,000 ton disp). Don't worry IAC II will make you happy. It is supposed to be supercarrier (>60,000 ton disp) ...

I am not getting any update on IAC II, But I think that secretively its kneel is laid...

IAC 2 is still on drawing board, The specifications are not finalised as the IN is riding very high on IAC 2. EMALS and Nuke power may be included.. So this is not the right time to discuss abt IAC 2..

you guys do know that till karvar base . our naval bases were not able to take and dock ships above 30,000 tons. they have only now started to dredge the mumbai base to take the vikramiditya.

If we make any carrier after IAC I it should be a nuke -powered AC like U.S Nimitz class....for offensive action ( if necessary) in IOR . Our strategic needs would be served by just one such carrier and accompanying CBG -- for the for-seeable future.

If we make any carrier after IAC I it should be a nuke -powered AC like U.S Nimitz class....for offensive action ( if necessary) in IOR . Our strategic needs would be served by just one such carrier and accompanying CBG -- for the for-seeable future.

You are rite. IAC-2 will be a large carrier for sure and with catapult but we have to wait whether it is nuke powered or not.

You are rite. IAC-2 will be a large carrier for sure and with catapult but we have to wait whether it is nuke powered or not.

Yes and the advantages of a nuke -powered carrier are that it can be permanently stationed for many years( for 20 years or so without refueling) along with a CBG of our frigates , Corvettes , destroyers , minesweepers and ASW crafts right at strategic points just beyond The Bay of Bengal overlooking the malacca straits which will give us a strong standing in IOR and good strategic depth to be able to dominate the region.

Also our base Varsha , with our SSBNs is supposed to be close to Vishakapatnam so 2 subs can be under constant patrol alongside the CBG , in meeting with our strategic necessities .

One AC in in bay of bengal with longer range fighters and one in Arabian sea with NLCAs ..:cheers:

Or, building a full fledged airbase on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands with Su 30 MKI + Brahmos (although I still prefer Su 34s with Brahmos, Torpedos and ASW capability ;) ), for long range air defence and maritime attack around the Bay of Bengal. INS Vikramditya/ IAC1 for the southern and western costlines in sea control roles (1 active, 1 in reserve) + some Mistral class LHDs for anti piracy operations with a dozen naval helicopters, commando forces to cover a wider area, would give IN the capabilities and the reach to not only protect Indias coastlines, but also the Indian Ocean.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom