What's new

New pics of IAF SU30MKIs heading towards Red Flags 2008 Exercise

Yeah....the most beautiful aircraft on the planet IMHO.

I agree that it is abeautiful aircraft, but mate you have no heart if you think that it looks better than a Rafale.
Araz

PIB Press Release

The tough and prestigious Exercise red flag formally began at Air Force Base Nellis, Nevada USA on 10 Aug 08 with inaugural briefings & mission planning by the participating Air Forces. 09 Aug was the day of lead in preparations.

The Red Flag 08 has the participation of IAF with eight Su-30s, two IL-78 tankers an IL-76 aircraft & 247 Air Warriors along with the French Air Force with Rafale, South Korean Air Force with F-15s & US AF with F-15s & F-16s. IAF & other visiting Air Forces along with a large USAF element would be part of the Blue Forces (friendly) which would engage in combat with the Red Forces. The Red Forces are the "Aggressors" with F-15s & F-16s aircraft of 64th & 65th Aggressor squadrons of USAF based at Air Force Base Nellis.

Exercise Red Flag provides a realistic war situation in which the Blue Force pilots will have all possible odds `thrown` at them. Availability of a large air to air range with threat replication contributes to the tremendous training value of the exercise. The replication of the air war would see the IAF's Su-30 aircraft participating in suppression of enemy air defence (SEAD) air to air & air to ground missions. The IL-78 tankers and USAF AWACS would be in active support role. The IL-76 would undertake tactical transport operations & large force engagements operations.

During the exercise a set of Red Flag team forms the `white Force’ & use high tech instrumentation and mission debrief tools to evaluate the performance of the participants in a clinical and detached manner. During the exercise the Blue force are made to change their plans often to put them under pressure. The White Force watches the entire exercise in real time on monitor screens on ground. Kill removal (removal of the pilots and aircraft assumed shot by the enemy) makes the exercise more realistic.

Addressing the participating Air Warriors, contingent commander Gp Capt D Choudhury said" we have trained long & hard for this day. It is the time to show case our professionalism. I have total faith & confidence in you. The world is watching us, so gentlemen lets show them what we are made up of."

Addressing the participating Air Warriors, contingent commander Gp Capt D Choudhury said" we have trained long & hard for this day. It is the time to show case our professionalism. I have total faith & confidence in you. The world is watching us, so gentlemen lets show them what we are made up of."

That pretty stupid of him to say that before the match starts. This only means they are playing a hanicap which no one else knows about it.
I would start a poll say $20-$50 they get there ***** kicked by the F-16s. The proceedings will goto Defence.pk. what do you think.:tup:

Sir, I think Gp Capt said what is usually said by a commander to his men during any such event....If it was PAFs Gp Capt, he would have said exactly same things to his contingent..

As far as SU-30 capabilities, its an aircraft not to be under-estimated...Although it wont be employed in air-air role in Red Flag but if it had, it would have an aircraft not to mess with...

USAF has already assessed Su-30 capabilities in air-air role once they were in India with their F-15s....The reason for SUs to assign air-ground role during Redflag, could be that USAF wants to assess and gauge its surface attack capabilities in a multi-bogey / mixed -bag / electronic battle of field scenario against American/ European fighters and who else other than IAF could provide them with this opportunity...

IAFs participation in Redflag will not only give western airforces a real insight into this aircraft but also assist them coming up with its counter-tactics....Redflag gives IAF an exposure at the world level and give West to test and polish their skills against SU-30...Its a win-win situation for both...Perhaps the only loosers will be the Russians....I am not sure if Russians had their reservations about IAFs participation in this exercise...After all SU-30 is one of their prime fighter too...

Lately, our world is having some serious mood swings....and who know that when the mock fights turns into a reality……:undecided:

Last edited:
That pretty stupid of him to say that before the match starts. This only means they are playing a hanicap which no one else knows about it.
I would start a poll say $20-$50 they get there ***** kicked by the F-16s. The proceedings will goto Defence.pk. what do you think.:tup:

I dont get it. Would he say 'time to show our professionalism' AFTER the excercises? Or say that he had confidence in his pilots after the excercise was over?

I believe (not speaking for him though) Murad sahib was simply alluding to the fact that usually this sort of "bucking up" is not done so in public. At least not in the PAF. The guys go do their thing (get pep talks privately) and come back, get critiqued or "shaabashi" and the day starts all over again.

Nothing to take away from the IAF and its prep for RF. I am sure they have earned the right to be at Nellis.

Back
Top Bottom