What's new

New Islamabad Airport Starts Falling Apart!

2 - 3 months old news. I've asked some people working on the Airport when I was in Pakistan and they told me the reason of collapse was bad construction.

only CAA is to be blamed for this menace ......my father in law was on this project and he has distant himself from it recently and got transferred to other station ......shit is about to hit the fan.....Emirates is already not using the bridge ....
No wonder when I was flying out in Emirates, we had to take a bus instead of the boarding bridges. I thought it might be the traffic :( I saw an Etihad parked at the apron with buses ferrying the passengers.

What is this? A 2 or 3-month old news that becomes alive again?
Read the article!

2 - 3 months old news. I've asked some people working on the Airport when I was in Pakistan and they told me the reason of collapse was bad construction.
2-3 mths back it was the bridge thing now something else collapsed as well

After the customs cargo (airfreight unit) building at the Islamabad International Airport (IIA) started caving in, the authorities have decided to shift all staff and workers to an alternative place.

Initially, small cracks appeared on the walls along with a leakage from the drain in the office of a senior officer and other rooms but the cracks started increasing day by day. A portion of the building is now caving in.

People who cant read:

Hardly seven months have passed since the new IIA was constructed at a cost of over Rs105 billion. A number of incidents such as the collapse of false ceiling, choking of sewerage lines and stinking water in offices have occurred since the new airport became functional.

New incident different from: https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/aero...-1-person-injured.580845/page-3#post-10853114

Interestingly same bridge installed by sme vendor at Bacha Khan, Faisalabad airport, Lahore airport and at. Higher price......all lot of shit is going on we dont just see out here
Well it is not ONLY about who built it but it has started falling down...

Inquiry Ordered Over Cracks In Cargo Unit Of Airport: PCAA

Faizan Hashmi 19 minutes ago Sun 16th December 2018 | 10:15 PM

KARACHI, (UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News - 16th Dec, 2018 ) :A spokesman for the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (PCAA), clarifying news reports regarding emergence of cracks in cargo unit building of Islamabad International Airport, said the Director General of the PCAA has already constituted a high powered inquiry committee to look into this matter.

The PCAA spokesman, in a statement issued here on Sunday, further said in case of any lapse in work the responsible people will be dealt with accordingly.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/pakistan/inquiry-ordered-over-cracks-in-cargo-unit-of-507956.html

Inquiry Committee Constituted To Probe Cracks In Cargo Building Of IIA: CAA

Faizan Hashmi 47 minutes ago Sun 16th December 2018 | 10:09 PM

ISLAMABAD, (UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News - 16th Dec, 2018 ) :Director General Civil Aviation (DGCAA) has constituted a high powered Inquiry Committee to probe the cracks appeared in Cargo Unit Building of Islamabad International Airport (IIA).

Referring to a news item appeared in a section of media regarding cracks in a Cargo Building of IIA, a CAA Spokesman said the inquiry committee has been directed to fix the responsible persons for the cracks in Cargo Unit Building well before the news item appeared.

In case of any lapse in the work, the responsible will be dealt accordingly.

The spokesman reminded that the DG CAA had constituted the high powered probe committee much before the issue reported by media.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/pakistan/inquiry-committee-constituted-to-probe-cracks-507948.html

Two injured as ceiling collapses at Islamabad airport

The airport cost over $1Billion Dollars. Hang the corrupt!

New Islamabad airport a costly affair
| Delay, mismanagement in project to cost billions more to CAA
2 years agoNOKHAIZ SAHI
new-islamabad-airport-a-costly-affair-1454811907-3613.jpg

ISLAMABAD - The new Islamabad international airport, which was estimated to be completed at a cost of Rs36 billion, has crossed Rs100 billion expense because of mismanagement and lack of financial farsightedness of Civil Aviation Authority, the audit has pointed out. The audit report on the accounts of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for the year 2014-2015 explains the financial affairs of the new airport in Islamabad and has criticised the authority for not properly managing the mega project.

READ MORE: Fifth generation war imposed on Pakistan: Shehryar Afridi
The audit has documented that an examination of the record relating to the project revealed that original PC-I of the project was approved in March 2008 with a cost estimation of Rs36 billion and completion period of 30 months. Appendix-E of the PC-1 contained financial and sensitivity analysis report which showed that project was financially viable in terms of Net Present Value (NPV) and cost-benefit ratio. The financial viability was based on the assumption that new airport would be yielding revenue (aeronautical and non-aeronautical) during 2011-12 and project would be completed within the approved cost and time.

“The project was still incomplete. Revised PC-I of Islamabad International Airport Project amounting to Rs81,171 million excluding variations, claims and escalation was approved in CAA Board's 148th meeting on April 15, 2014. Additional cost of Rs14,000 million was estimated on account of variations, claims and escalations. As per revised PC-I, new date of completion has been fixed as June 2016. This shows that the financial and sensitivity analysis report was not based on facts and it was misleading.”

It has been reported that the financial viability was based on assumptions of yielding aeronautical and non-aeronautical revenue during 2011-12 but cost of Rs 24,480 million of the necessary components required for completion and operation for yielding revenue was not included in the PC-I. Resultantly, the project was made financially and technically unviable. The PC-I was prepared by PMC who were responsible of its completeness and planning the entire work to ensure completion by 2011 but they had not been penalised.

The audit has pointed out that the tendering process of various packages was initiated in utter disregard to the physical phasing planned in PC-I. Resultantly, the project was extraordinarily delayed. Overall physical progress of 75.75 % and 63 % payment status had been shown in the monthly progress report for June 2014. Still the PMC and contractors were unable to give final assessment of completion of work.

READ MORE: Govt working to promote education: Afridi
Now all the assumptions for financial analysis based on capital cost, operating expenses and revenue generation had been rendered irrelevant and financial analysis was emerging into negative position. Revised PC-1 of Rs81.171 billion including foreign exchange component of Rs 19.828 billion had been approved which was Rs44.306 billion more than the original PC-1 approved for Rs36.856 billion which proved that the estimates were poor and defective.

In the revised PC-1, foreign component had been provided of Rs19.828 billion which was 24.24% of revised PC-1 cost of Rs 81.171 billion. This also showed that the foreign component was kept below the upper limit of 25 % to avoid approval of the ECNEC, the audit further revealed. In the original PC-1, 100% cost was to be financed by CAA while as per financial plan (revised PC-1), 70% (Rs56.820 billion) of the project cost was being financed by the CAA from its own resources while remaining 30% (Rs24.351 billion) would be financed through loan. This shows the CAA does not have sufficient resources to finance the ill-planned project as per approved financial phasing.The CAA required Rs20 billion for the works which were yet to be awarded and completed. CAA had to finance Rs52.641 billion up to June 2017 for which the Authority had to upgrade its revenue stream. The authority had only bank balance of Rs16.726 billion including term deposits of Rs8.2 billion as on 27th October 2014.

Completion cost of the airport has been estimated Rs95 billion for which borrowing from external sources would be Rs25.4 billion plus borrowing cost of Rs12 billion. Due to financial mismanagement CAA planned fund management in coordination with banks which would lead CAA to bankruptcy in the present scenario. The project cost in real sense has crossed Rs100 billion. It is costing Rs1 billion per month for the delay.

The CAA was required to critically review pace of project implementation, put in place measures to control time and cost overruns but also plug the gaping holes in identification, translation of digitally captured data into building and realisation of billed revenue in a transparent and efficient manner.

READ MORE: Del Potro back training after knee injury
The matter was discussed in the DAC meeting held in January 2015 wherein the committee directed the CAA to take measures to control time and cost overruns, increase revenue stream through realisation of billed amount extension of commercial activities in a transparent manner. The DAC further directed the authority to improve financial forecasting, strategic planning, project monitoring and explore other revenue generating sources to complete the mega projects and other development and non-development activates.

The airport cost over $1Billion Dollars. Hang the corrupt!

New Islamabad airport a costly affair
| Delay, mismanagement in project to cost billions more to CAA
2 years agoNOKHAIZ SAHI
new-islamabad-airport-a-costly-affair-1454811907-3613.jpg

ISLAMABAD - The new Islamabad international airport, which was estimated to be completed at a cost of Rs36 billion, has crossed Rs100 billion expense because of mismanagement and lack of financial farsightedness of Civil Aviation Authority, the audit has pointed out. The audit report on the accounts of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for the year 2014-2015 explains the financial affairs of the new airport in Islamabad and has criticised the authority for not properly managing the mega project.

READ MORE: Fifth generation war imposed on Pakistan: Shehryar Afridi
The audit has documented that an examination of the record relating to the project revealed that original PC-I of the project was approved in March 2008 with a cost estimation of Rs36 billion and completion period of 30 months. Appendix-E of the PC-1 contained financial and sensitivity analysis report which showed that project was financially viable in terms of Net Present Value (NPV) and cost-benefit ratio. The financial viability was based on the assumption that new airport would be yielding revenue (aeronautical and non-aeronautical) during 2011-12 and project would be completed within the approved cost and time.

“The project was still incomplete. Revised PC-I of Islamabad International Airport Project amounting to Rs81,171 million excluding variations, claims and escalation was approved in CAA Board's 148th meeting on April 15, 2014. Additional cost of Rs14,000 million was estimated on account of variations, claims and escalations. As per revised PC-I, new date of completion has been fixed as June 2016. This shows that the financial and sensitivity analysis report was not based on facts and it was misleading.”

It has been reported that the financial viability was based on assumptions of yielding aeronautical and non-aeronautical revenue during 2011-12 but cost of Rs 24,480 million of the necessary components required for completion and operation for yielding revenue was not included in the PC-I. Resultantly, the project was made financially and technically unviable. The PC-I was prepared by PMC who were responsible of its completeness and planning the entire work to ensure completion by 2011 but they had not been penalised.

The audit has pointed out that the tendering process of various packages was initiated in utter disregard to the physical phasing planned in PC-I. Resultantly, the project was extraordinarily delayed. Overall physical progress of 75.75 % and 63 % payment status had been shown in the monthly progress report for June 2014. Still the PMC and contractors were unable to give final assessment of completion of work.

READ MORE: Govt working to promote education: Afridi
Now all the assumptions for financial analysis based on capital cost, operating expenses and revenue generation had been rendered irrelevant and financial analysis was emerging into negative position. Revised PC-1 of Rs81.171 billion including foreign exchange component of Rs 19.828 billion had been approved which was Rs44.306 billion more than the original PC-1 approved for Rs36.856 billion which proved that the estimates were poor and defective.

In the revised PC-1, foreign component had been provided of Rs19.828 billion which was 24.24% of revised PC-1 cost of Rs 81.171 billion. This also showed that the foreign component was kept below the upper limit of 25 % to avoid approval of the ECNEC, the audit further revealed. In the original PC-1, 100% cost was to be financed by CAA while as per financial plan (revised PC-1), 70% (Rs56.820 billion) of the project cost was being financed by the CAA from its own resources while remaining 30% (Rs24.351 billion) would be financed through loan. This shows the CAA does not have sufficient resources to finance the ill-planned project as per approved financial phasing.The CAA required Rs20 billion for the works which were yet to be awarded and completed. CAA had to finance Rs52.641 billion up to June 2017 for which the Authority had to upgrade its revenue stream. The authority had only bank balance of Rs16.726 billion including term deposits of Rs8.2 billion as on 27th October 2014.

Completion cost of the airport has been estimated Rs95 billion for which borrowing from external sources would be Rs25.4 billion plus borrowing cost of Rs12 billion. Due to financial mismanagement CAA planned fund management in coordination with banks which would lead CAA to bankruptcy in the present scenario. The project cost in real sense has crossed Rs100 billion. It is costing Rs1 billion per month for the delay.

The CAA was required to critically review pace of project implementation, put in place measures to control time and cost overruns but also plug the gaping holes in identification, translation of digitally captured data into building and realisation of billed revenue in a transparent and efficient manner.

READ MORE: Del Potro back training after knee injury
The matter was discussed in the DAC meeting held in January 2015 wherein the committee directed the CAA to take measures to control time and cost overruns, increase revenue stream through realisation of billed amount extension of commercial activities in a transparent manner. The DAC further directed the authority to improve financial forecasting, strategic planning, project monitoring and explore other revenue generating sources to complete the mega projects and other development and non-development activates.
I hope justice comes soon! We could literally just fix our financial situations by billing all these corruption projects to the corrupts who signed them off and were supposed to manage them! Literally a new policy should say:

If you signed off a project and chose the construction company and FAILED to yield what was promised, YOU AND THE CONSTRUCTION company need to pay up! INCLUDING EVERYONE involved from step one!

THIS should be in EVERY new agreement they sign dealing with every project!

It's good that boarding was completed before the collapse and the plane was detached...

only CAA is to be blamed for this menace ......my father in law was on this project and he has distant himself from it recently and got transferred to other station ......shit is about to hit the fan.....Emirates is already not using the bridge ....
My cousin worked for FWO & later Chinese firms..

It was a fuk all scene. Visited the site a few times before inauguration.. heard alot of stories.

Bhai even PVC pipes,marble/tiles was bought from China.

Samdhi of marium beti chinese,prolly even FWO PD all made money.

I hope justice comes soon! We could literally just fix our financial situations by billing all these corruption projects to the corrupts who signed them off and were supposed to manage them! Literally a new policy should say:

If you signed off a project and chose the construction company and FAILED to yield what was promised, YOU AND THE CONSTRUCTION company need to pay up! INCLUDING EVERYONE involved from step one!

THIS should be in EVERY new agreement they sign dealing with every project!
Even the second runway was a fukup.. it was too close to the other meaning 2 flights cant take off simultaneously..

In France, we have a say : travail d'arabe !

it's arab's work ! Means cheap work, not well done.

In France, we have a say : travail d'arabe !

it's arab's work ! Means cheap work, not well done.
O we have no Arab work here ....More like smells of a rat called corruption!

Even the second runway was a fukup.. it was too close to the other meaning 2 flights cant take off simultaneously..
And YET it got passed...which moron was the architect and engineer? Which higher moron was the manager? Dont need to know just need them to pay up!

O we have no Arab work here ....More like smells of a rat called corruption!

And YET it got passed...which moron was the architect and engineer? Which higher moron was the manager? Dont need to know just need them to pay up!
Lol yeah.. do you know there was a small road linking the small abadis” near the village which also linked to motorway temporarily.

The entire pothole filled ancient village track was claimed to have neen constructing by Marium betis samdhi multiple times. That timy old track laid down in the 60s or something made them millions..

Imagine the sheer scale of the corruption.

The CPG Consultants seem to claim to be Consultants for :

Architectural Design
Civil & Structural Engineering
Mechanical & Electrical Engineering
Quantity Surveying

as per their site www.cpgcorp.com.sg/cpgc/Project/Project_Details?ProjectID=1093&TypologyID=9

Interesting to note that it is a subsidiary of CPG Corporation, which is subsidiary of China Architecture Design & Research Group.

Hence, the sourcing from China as mentioned by member here.

So, what is the procedure? Apart from action against those who are directly involved in certifying and executing the project, does Pakistan have a system of blacklisting firms and subsidiaries from future? Are there any penal clauses applicable?

not good. fortunate no passengers were hurt.

Back
Top Bottom