What's new

Need Help with running 1 mile in 7 minutes for ASF

Assalamu alaikum.

I want to join ASF (Airports Security force) next year but the problem is that I weigh 111 Kg and I am losing the weight by the grace of Allah so I am confident that I'll be fit to join the next year but the problem is that I can't run a mile in 7 let alone 10 minutes. I'll run out of breath easily and I also can't do push ups. So I need tips from experts on how can I do the above mentioned things which will enable me to join up next year.

How old are you? What's your height? Do you know your body mass index (BMI)? Do you have Cardio Vascular issues or issues in your family? Usually, if your heart is fine, then it could be due to Cardio Vascular system not conditioned.

It will be a lot easy if you can find a partner, running with someone slightly better than you is the best inspiration.

Start with simple plain walking at a steady pace. keep increasing the distance every day by whatever increment you can even if it is just 10 meters more than previous day. when you can walk 4 km (4 times your target distance), start increasing the speed instead of distance, such that you cover the same 4km in less time even if that time is just 10 seconds less than previous day. once you reach the max speed at which you can walk for the whole 4km, start intermittent jogging, 100 meter walk, 10 meter run, 100 meter walk, 10 meter run. then start increasing the run distance every day even if it's just one meter more than the previous day. Within 60 days you should be able to run a KM under 6 minutes (but keep walking the remaining 3 km, for stamina building.) once you reach your target of 1km under 5 or 6 minutes, start increasing the run distance by 10 (or whatever) meters from previous day as well as total distance from 4 km to some more from previous day.

Don't run on hard pavement, use good quality running shoes with shock absorbing soles.
There is no exercise better than walking, cheap and fun.

Push ups is the best exercise to build upper body strength. If you can't do proper push ups, use half push ups (using knees to pivot instead of ankles when doing on the floor) or use a table or chair. there are a bunch of quality tutorials on youtube for beginners.

Assalamu alaikum.

I want to join ASF (Airports Security force) next year but the problem is that I weigh 111 Kg and I am losing the weight by the grace of Allah so I am confident that I'll be fit to join the next year but the problem is that I can't run a mile in 7 let alone 10 minutes. I'll run out of breath easily and I also can't do push ups. So I need tips from experts on how can I do the above mentioned things which will enable me to join up next year.

Last edited:
What role are you applying for ?
Counter Terrorism if that's the correct term.

How old are you? What's your height? Do you know your body mass index (BMI)? Do you have Cardio Vascular issues or issues in your family? Usually, if your heart is fine, then it could be due to Cardio Vascular system not conditioned.
I'm 20 years old and my BMI is currently 32. No I don't have any other issues than being obese.

I never met a man that couldn't do a push up.
If you're here to bash me for not being able to do push ups then kindly leave. I am asking for help not asking to be made fun of.

It will be a lot easy if you can find a partner, running with someone slightly better than you is the best inspiration.

Start with simple plain walking at a steady pace. keep increasing the distance every day by whatever increment you can even if it is just 10 meters more than previous day. when you can walk 4 km (4 times your target distance), start increasing the speed instead of distance, such that you cover the same 4km in less time even if that time is just 10 seconds less than previous day. once you reach the max speed at which you can walk for the whole 4km, start intermittent jogging, 100 meter walk, 10 meter run, 100 meter walk, 10 meter run. then start increasing the run distance every day even if it's just one meter more than the previous day. Within 60 days you should be able to run a KM under 6 minutes (but keep walking the remaining 3 km, for stamina building.) once you reach your target of 1km under 5 or 6 minutes, start increasing the run distance by 10 (or whatever) meters from previous day as well as total distance from 4 km to some more from previous day.

Don't run on hard pavement, use good quality running shoes with shock absorbing soles.
There is no exercise better than walking, cheap and fun.

Push ups is the best exercise to build upper body strength. If you can't do proper push ups, use half push ups (using knees to pivot instead of ankles when doing on the floor) or use a table or chair. there are a bunch of quality tutorials on youtube for beginners.
Well fortunately for me, my cousin is also applying for ASF together with me and he's a great runner and he has promised to help me overcome my issues and in return, I'll have to help him with written test. He sucks at written test while I suck at Physical test.

No worries mate.

All the stuff i wrote is a tried and tested technique. It works.
I believe you. I tried the half push-ups last night and even I was surprised that they worked.

Start off by changing Nick to Tactical Gosht , and not Tactical Ghost if you weight 111kg. :woot:
If you can't deal with that , you won't survive the Drill Master

Hit Gym Daily 1 hour . 3-4 Months
Lift Weights if your Mom says don't go Gym, Ignore

Lift weight / Run daily or every next day

Thank me when you make the cut and become real Tactical Ghost :smokin:

Set Goal for 400 Meter (1 Lap)
Gradually Porgress to (2 Laps) after few weeks
If you feel you are getting strong Target 3 Laps after few extra weeks

Eventually Try out 4 Laps

Last edited:

I'm 20 years old and my BMI is currently 32. No I don't have any other issues than being obese.

If you're here to bash me for not being able to do push ups then kindly leave. I am asking for help not asking to be made fun of.

Well fortunately for me, my cousin is also applying for ASF together with me and he's a great runner and he has promised to help me overcome my issues and in return, I'll have to help him with written test. He sucks at written test while I suck at Physical test.

I believe you. I tried the half push-ups last night and even I was surprised that they worked.
Are you applying for an officer role or soldier ?

Are you applying for an officer role or soldier ?
Officer.... ASI (Assistant Sub Inspector)

Start off by changing Nick to Tactical Gosht , and not Tactical Ghost if you weight 111kg. :woot:
If you can't deal with that , you won't survive the Drill Master

Hit Gym Daily 1 hour . 3-4 Months

Lift weight / Run daily or every next day

Thank me when you make the cut and become real Tactical Ghost :smokin:

Set Goal for 400 Meter (1 Lap)
Gradually Porgress to (2 Laps) after few weeks
If you feel you are getting strong Target 3 Laps after few extra weeks

Eventually Try out 4 Laps
Tactical Gosht eh ? Well I prefer chicken over red meat but whatever. I certainly will change my nick back to Tactical Ghost once I become slim just like you said and thank you for the tips. :D

Assalamu alaikum.

Are you sure its 1 mile not 1 kilometer?
Running 1 mile in 10 minutes is difficult and in 7 minutes is very difficult.
I weigh 80 Kilos and run 1 mile in 10 minutes everyday. At the end of the run my heart rate is 150-160.

@Kaptaan is a gym bunny and can give advise.

Are you sure its 1 mile not 1 kilometer?
Running 1 mile in 10 minutes is difficult and in 7 minutes is very difficult.
I weigh 80 Kilos and run 1 mile in 10 minutes everyday. At the end of the run my heart rate is 150-160.

@Kaptaan is a gym bunny and can give advise.
Yes its 1 mile and I envy you -_-

Assalamu alaikum.

start with swimming, 111 kgs is too much for your organs, joints and limbs, control your diet. Swimming will improve your stamina. Brisk walks rather than jogging would be a good way to move forward. Once your weight is around 80 start with jogging and followed by running.
Hope it helps.

I am not here to bash you brother, but honestly. I can do 13 push ups with one hand and I am currently over weight.

Lifting weights in his present condition is useless tiring non beneficial activity, he will end up hurting himself without proper guidance and spotter..... he needs to build his stamina ......... so he needs to focus a lot on cardio and building his core's strength. He is yet to do a full one push up ...... In my view Lifting weights is for muscles building, toning, size etc ...... if you wish to build stamina you need to be doing a lot of cardio.

Signalian's has advised him perfect routine and game plan.

Back
Top Bottom