What's new

Muslim women cannot object to husbands’ marriages: CII chief

More fundamental question, is polygamy immoral?

Some non religious people can have multiple partners and go through God knows how many partners before settling down with just one. Some continue with the life style of debauchery. Which is immoral? A legal contract of 4 marriages or unlimited partners to mess around with no legal and emotional protection?

The funniest thing is when people in The West criticise polygamy in Islam yet in their own society it is very normal to have many multiple partners. Equal rights is the excuse people give but it can't be that its something else.

Some non religious people can have multiple partners and go through God knows how many partners before settling down with just one. Some continue with the life style of debauchery. Which is immoral? A legal contract of 4 marriages or unlimited partners to mess around with no legal and emotional protection?

The funniest thing is when people in The West criticise polygamy in Islam yet in their own society it is very normal to have many multiple partners. Equal rights is the excuse people give but it can't be that its something else.
So out of these threre which one is higher moral than other and why?
1. monogamy on both side
2. polygamy on both side
3. Men allowed to polygamy but women are not
4. Women are allowed to polygamy but men are not.

1. monogamy on both side
2. polygamy on both side

I'll answer you after dinner.

As far as the implementation of the CII’s controversial recommendation is concerned, the Supreme Court had already decided last year in favour of DNA tests in rape cases. “The apex court has declared DNA evidence as admissible in rape cases. Now there is no ambiguity about it,” observed Barrister Salman Akram Raja, who was part of the case.

DNA evidence in rape cases: For religious leaders, it's still a question mark - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
@Syed.Ali.Haider mil giyea jawab?

Its better to have man made laws than a such divine laws which is biased in nature for humans.....
Well nature of human is biased...Why women have to suffer labour pain? Why not men?

2. polygamy on both side

Giving Muslim women to Non Muslim men? Never going to happen. Sooner or later Man would demand his wife follows his religion or his way. And that children should also follow the father's religion. And don't talk to me about love, love is is not permanent, you have to live your whole life with someone who would like to change your religion?

Giving Muslim women to Non Muslim men? Never going to happen. Sooner or later Man would demand his wife follows his religion or his way. And that children should also follow the father's religion. And don't talk to me about love, love is is not permanent, you have to live your whole life with someone who would like to change your religion?
I was not talking about muslim women marrying non muslim men, I was not even talking about muslims.
I was asking in order of morality which of those four systems you think higher moral, and why?

And if muslim men can marry non muslims why cant opposite happen. Thats a different discussion though, lets not get into that...

looked up in wiki, it seems to be a tradition of using your own logic/deduction instead of always giving importance to precedence.
Surely a lot of modern laws are vastly superior to any such law that can be derived from religious texts by experts in that field, if one allows rational arguments based on modern sensibility to be the guiding force of islamic jurisprudence, you will need to almost completely ignore religious text.
It will only happen when Muslims of this world actually learn to read Qur'an with its true meaning. What here you think you are saying is very modern day law is /was written in 1400 years ago.the law mentioned in this tread is man made.to be sure I just went through the actual scripture right now.

1. monogamy on both side
2. polygamy on both side

If you ask me it ought to be banned; polygamy was allowed as a social function in a 7th Century Tribal Society and then too with stringent conditions that cannot be met today by man and wasn't met in the past either hence why the precept 'You will never be able to do justice with them (your wives) so have only one' was stated in the Koran.

I agree with Iqbal that it should be banned if the State thinks that it isn't applicable today and has a harmful affect than the social benefit it was thought to convey in a Tribal society ! He said that when commenting on and agreeing with Turkiye's decision to abolish polygamy !

If you ask me it ought to be banned; polygamy was allowed as a social function in a 7th Century Tribal Society and then too with stringent conditions that cannot be met today by man and wasn't met in the past either hence why the precept 'You will never be able to do justice with them (your wives) so have only one' was stated in the Koran.

I agree with Iqbal that it should be banned if the State thinks that it isn't applicable today and has a harmful affect than the social benefit it was thought to convey in a Tribal society ! He said that when commenting on and agreeing with Turkiye's decision to abolish polygamy !
I am not convinced... tell me why polygamy is wrong. What kind of justice are you looking for. I am talking about option 2 of course as option 3 and 4 can be ruled out judging from your response.

It will only happen when Muslims of this world actually learn to read Qur'an with its true meaning. What here you think you are saying is very modern day law is /was written in 1400 years ago.the law mentioned in this tread is man made.to be sure I just went through the actual scripture right now.
the issue with true meaning is, nobody will be wiser as to what is right. Should gay muslims be allowed to marry each others. Today you say no, after 100 years I am sure you will find a verse or two that will support the claim that islam accepted gays as a natural phenomena and its all perfectly scientific just that people interpreted it wrong in 21st century.
Such a scheme will perptually follow the societal norms and scientific discovery(after a hudred year or so may be), will never be the guiding force for humanity, which you will expect from a book written by god.

Last edited:
Well, firstly women in general are not as horny as men (biology + psychology) ;)

2ndly, the men doesnt get pregnant

3rdly, men dont have menstruation

4thly, more men die in war and hence more widows and women need protecting....the allowance (for max of 4 during an era where there was no limit at all and no idea of justice in between the wives) was actually for that case...

lastly, a man can have more than 1 wife a woman would only get jealous while a woman having more than 1 husband the man can go into anger to kill ....and not to mention disgusting..

Another reason for this is coz MANY cultures have polygamy practices...Look at Hinduism itself, Hindu kings who were a depiction of the god had more than 1 wife and numerous concubines, Jewish kings had the same, same goes for Christians....Now if a religion puts a upper limit it is wrong when other religions put no limit nor any mention of stopping it?

Well, we are not the ones who made the laws and are no one to throw out or put things on our will then it would be man made law not divine law....

You can mention the differences between Men and Women.

A family is female dominated and man is a hunter gatherer or bread earner.

Women are the main driving force behind the family and the Women should be given equal status.

There is some lagging in the thinking of women when it comes to certain areas but that do not mean they should be given secondary status.

The problem with polygamy in Islam is that wife do not have minimum rights over her husband.

If the man is ideal guy then he can take care of four wives, But that is not the case here , Wife along with children will go through the trauma and insecurity with this kind of system.

Women cannot co exist with each other, Having four wives will make it worse.

There may be some success with this system but I am only pointing out the flaws.

I am not convinced... tell me why polygamy is wrong. What kind of justice are you looking for. I am talking about option 2 of course as option 3 and 4 can be ruled out judging from your response.

Islam doesn't talk about option 2 (so far as I know); I reckon that polyandry never picked up initially because a Tribal society doesn't have such a concept so in time Polygyny got incorporated into Doctrine as the only alternative to a single marriage !

Furthermore I don't deal in 'right' and 'wrong' - Philosophy...remember ! :unsure:

So far as I know the notion of Justice was that the wives would have equal rights and obligations and the husband would have equal rights and obligations to them - Naturally that could never be done today or by the vast majority of us hence the admonition in the Koran !

Plus I think that the issue of Polygamy wasn't so much as about Islam allowing it but instead restricting an already deeply entrenched practice just like slavery and discouraging it through many ways in hopes that it will eventually die out after traversing its social evolutionary path just as the case was supposed to be with slavery - No new slaves, no free man be allowed to be made a slave, children of slaves are not slaves etc. and similar such injunctions adopted by the initial 4 Caliphs !

Like most things in Islam - It never quite worked out because Muslims never really lived up to the same ideals they were propagating !

Back
Top Bottom