What's new

MiG-29 and its variants in Indian defence

@samlove
Sir for your kind information its very obvious that every piece of information here on this website comes from different posts and websites but most members here do give the credits.

We at IADN put in lots of hours for gathering information and preparing posts. Its very bad from your side that you refrain to give credits to our work and at the same time abuse me.

He is False flag and a Pakistani , Why will an Indian will not give credit to work done by other Indians ??

He wants people visiting Pakistani site rather than Indian website , that's why he removes all links and even mention of your website from the articles so that his Pakistani admin makes money . His job is to Start threads not for debates but to rob others credits and hard work .
I have nothing to do with your opening threads and others opinion about you. And neither did I intervened or posted anything like that on your posts.
My only aim was to get the due for my team members.Operating from a cell its bit easier to post my request here directly than to message you personally. If that's the matter then sorry.

No need it apologize to him , he has been doing it for long , even i told him many times in past but he never changed his behavior , when i trolled him for his behavior he ran crying

I have nothing to do with your opening threads and others opinion about you. And neither did I intervened or posted anything like that on your posts.
My only aim was to get the due for my team members.Operating from a cell its bit easier to post my request here directly than to message you personally. If that's the matter then sorry.

sorry for tht brother ,i thought u r the say guy who is trolling now in this thread ,but u see tht the other guys and ur name matched ,so tht why i recalled all those thread posted before , even u started giving him thump up for his trolling, so anyway best of luck future. will edit name in my post.

I saw this post on fb yesterday and i even had commented on it several times.. @Ankit Kumar 001

@samlove do give credit for his hard work. dont just copy paste..
give respect. take respect.

I saw this post on fb yesterday and i even had commented on it several times.. @Ankit Kumar 001

please read the posted thread already added , and its not about tht ,actually another guy having almost same name have been trolling for long on my post , i thought it was the same guy.

please read the posted thread already added , and its not about tht ,actually another guy having almost same name have been trolling for long on my post , i thought it was the same guy.
Welcome bro you declared Pakistani, when did you apply for Pakistani citizen ship i tell you when you make a sane / reasonable post.

I.A.F. has around 66 Mig-29 B/UB models most of which are currently getting upgraded to Mig-UPG standard.Plus the I.N.A.W. has around 45 Mig-29K(the most advanced version of Mig-29) and there have been talks of buying another tranche of 45 Mig-29K from Russia.

So ultimately we will have more than 100 MiG 29s.........

At present we have
52 Mig29B
7 Mig29UB
7 Mig29UPG
33 Mig29K
6 Mig29KUB

All Mig29B/UBs will be upgraded to Mig29UPG/Smt standard by 2020
Mig29K/Kub will increase to 45
So you are looking at 110 Mig29s in service by Mid next year.
Their is a chance that India might order another 30 Mig29K/KUB if their is a delay in NLCA

Which means we have 105 MiG 29s as of now. :cheers:

We need few more around Karwar and Vajrakosh. A squad or 2 should be there full time in Vajrakosh perhaps now as we have opened it for operations and P8I being placed there,.
We also need to place another squad or 2 in Andaman and Nicobar too.. Need fixed wing as well as rotary fleet in and around both these places...

@Abingdonboy @Capt.Popeye @MilSpec Whats your take on Mig 29 UPG India operates and the rest getting upgraded in India. 2020 timeline for all upgrades - you think timeframe is limited for all upgradation

We need few more around Karwar and Vajrakosh. A squad or 2 should be there full time in Vajrakosh perhaps now as we have opened it for operations and P8I being placed there,.
We also need to place another squad or 2 in Andaman and Nicobar too.. Need fixed wing as well as rotary fleet in and around both these places...

@Abingdonboy @Capt.Popeye @MilSpec Whats your take on Mig 29 UPG India operates and the rest getting upgraded in India. 2020 timeline for all upgrades - you think timeframe is limited for all upgradation

I think, the upgrade is taking far too long,
The 7 yrs to upgrade 66 Aircrafts is ridiculous, when Pakistanis upgraded 45 F16s in 3 years

BTW, I am in favour of acquiring 30-45 more Mig29Ks
They pack 80% of the punch of the MKI at 60% the cost.
They are also far superior to the NLCA

And will allow us to completely withdraw MKI from Maritime strike role

Last edited:
I think, the upgrade is taking far too long,
The 7 yrs to upgrade 66 Aircrafts is ridiculous, when Pakistanis upgraded 45 F16s in 3 years
But if we are doing some changes in airframe and bringing/giving it a much longer life extension as well as reinforcement then perhaps we are not correct to compare it with F16s up gradation. (Not sure as i dont know much details)

He doesn't give any clarification why he doesn't give link or credit , also why he removes/edits name of the website from the articles its self , when questioned he has no explanation and then says i am Trolling his Post :hitwall: .

All i ask him is to Give Due credit with links to all hard work of fellow Indians, if he really is from India from where he copies all the articles and post it on a Pakistani Website :pakistan:

Protecting Indian airspace is the responsibility of the IAF. No doubt the IN will deploy their most cutting edge SAMs around their installations though.

As for A&N, right now, this too, comes under the IAF's air cover and their mainland bases in the East are more than capable of providing air cover to the ANC when required. Ideally the A&N should have an organic air wing deployed on the island encompassing MPAs, UAVs, SAR helos and fighters and it looks like this capability is to be added in the next 5 years, more than likely the IAF will be deploying its fighters for this task though, not the IN.

The MiG-29UPGs are by far the most modern MiG-29 (of the original version) and are amongst the most capable fighters in service to date, the upgrades adding try multi-role performance to the IAF's MIG-29Bs and bringing them (somewhat) in line with the IN's MiG-29K's is most welcome.

As for the timeline, it is a clearly a little too long but within the acceptable tolerances.

MIG 29 UPG
cTGQl18.jpg

it consisting of virtual SMT upgrade (increased fuel in enlarged spine, in-flight refuelling capability glass cockpit and enhanced avionics) for UB trainer. This transforms UB into operationally capable two-seat multirole fighter, with potential for Su-24 replacement or for “pathfinder” use. Expected to be fitted with a millimetre wave terrain-avoidance radar and Osa-2 X-band, phased-array centimetric air-to-air/air-to-ground radar, or with Thomson-CSF RC 400 radar in nose and missile launch and trajectory control system in wingroots. Full dual controls retained in rear cockpit, but augmented by large CRT display screen optimised for display of FLIR or video imagery; WSO would be a rated pilot who could take control if captain incapacitated. Long-serving demonstrator (08134 “304”) converted to UBT demonstrator/prototype making type’s Western debut at 1998 Farnborough Air Show, after only five test flights in new configuration, having first flown on 25 August 1998. First production conversion 25982 “952”, with folding refuelling probe, shown at Paris in June 1999. A further-upgraded aircraft, with four-pylon wings, refuelling probe and OSA-2, is expected to fly in mid-2000

MIG 29 K
mig29-kub.jpg

Revised carrier-borne two-seat trainer design offered to India, based on MiG-29K-2002 with reduced-span, inboard wing fold and folding tailplanes. Assumed to feature original stepped tandem cockpits of MiG-29KU.

original MiG-29SMTK (effectively a MiG-29SMT with the 9.31’s folding wing and landing gear), previously offered to India along with the former helicopter carrier Admiral Gorshkov, is understood to have been replaced by a new, multirole, carrierborne variant based more closely on the MiG-29K/M, albeit without the expensive Al-Li alloys. With a MIL-STD-1553B-type bus and open systems avionics architecture, the MiG-29K-2002 is compatible with a wide range of Russian and Western weapons, and may feature the colour displays and GPS-based navigation system of the MiG-29SMT. This variant, possibly designated MiG-29 MTK, is claimed to be able to perform 90 per cent of its missions with a 10 kt (18 km/h; 11 mph) wind-over-deck, even in tropical conditions using new autothrottle. One notable feature of the new aircraft is its much-reduced folded span of 5.80 m (19 ft 0¼ in), achieved by positioning the fold line much closer in to the wing-root, and by adding upward-folding tailplanes. The aircraft can also fold its radome (up and back), reducing overall length to 14.13 m (46 ft 4¼ in). Accordingly, Admiral Gorshkov can carry a full air wing of 24 MiG-29Ks (plus six helicopters), or (according to some sources) as many as 30.

So ultimately we will have more than 100 MiG 29s.........
It's wrong to consider the I.N.A.W. Mig-29Ks to be a part of the I.A.F. fleet.Yeah,you could say that in absolute term we will have a total of 111 Mig-29s of different versions in a matter of a year:-)

After latest upgrades this aircraft MIG 20 series will be an asset to IAF

Hi,

First off I am a huge fan of Mig29 and you will see a big fulcrum Bias in most related posts.As a teenagers we used to wait for hours outside AFS to catch a glimpse of this bird.

let me mention , Mig29B's in the Indian Arsenal did not have mid air refueling because- IAF specifically asked the soviets for it's removal. IAF did not operate a2a refueling in those days and did not see itself doing so in a long time. Next about the down grade in the 9.12B for non -warsaw pact countries was in IFF and ECM but IAF mig29 within 5 years got an ECM pod. Now they carry the same jammer as the bis and litening pods on recce mission.

From the operational perspective, the best pilots of the lot are chosen for the Mig 29 program and even with SU30 MKI in the horizon, Mig29's are the first on scene in case of emergency. CAP's over trombay high, BARC and Nashik - Mumbai - Pune envelope is flown by Mig 29's. Mig 29 is still the most agile air Superiority fighter in Indian arsenal till date, and has bested blue eyed mirages of IAF in tons of occasions.

On the UPG side of it, this is the correct route for us to go. UPG program is basically three booths in the hangar that will make structural and Avionics changes to the aircraft, and it is a prudent step not to take more than two aircrafts out of the air for upgrades, so yes it will take time, and it is a major upgrade. One thing I felt was, we could have gone with the Mig 35 Zhuk Aesa radar on this upgrade if the integration was possible, but i don't know the specifics of power requirements of the Zhuk Aesa module to comment further on this. UPG's will carry A2G munitions, but highly doubt IAF will ever put KAB 500's and KH29's on the fulcrum.

Mig29K's have been an excellent choice for the Navy, and as far as we can see in procurement's, Indian Navy is in the league of it's own. CAP's now have a Mig29 Su30MKI combination and that has worked pretty well for us, i dont see 2 sqdns for vajrakosh specifically. I am still a big believer in the Mig35 as a cushion for sqdn strength, but it seems that Mig35 has lost the cost benefit it had once. As a stop gap I wouldn't mind a Airforce version of the Mig29K's as MRCA stop gap as the line is still functional, and we have logistics to support the units.

There has been lot of talks about serviceability and operational costs of the 29's but none of the brass want's to go into the root cause behind it. In my opinion if LCA is not making it time, Mig 29 varaints are the right choice for India to go with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom