What's new

MiG-29 and its variants in Indian defence

samlove

Reaction score
Country
India
12003904_964366310308091_8009127454920101005_n.jpg

MiG-29 is one of the best 4th generation fighter jets the world has ever seen. India being its first foreign customer today operates 5 different variants of it. The article below gives details about it. Its a long post, so take time to read it.

::: MiG-29B (Product 9.12B) :::

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISTICS : MiG-29B is a downgraded variant of first MiG-29's built. It is a single seater variant that features side vents present on the Leading Edge Extensions (LERX). Initial versions lacked mid-air refuelling capability. Initial variants sported conventional analog-and-dial type cockpit.

AVIONIC CHARACTERISTICS : Early variants featured an N-109 radar, which was later replaced by Zhuk-ME radar. They lacked Electronic Counter Meaarsures (ECM) and Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system.

ARMAMENTS : 30mm GSh-30 canon, R-27, R-77, etc.

CURRENT STATUS : Approximately 60 in service, being upgraded to MiG-29UPG.

::: MiG-29 UB :::

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISITCS : The two-seater variant of MiG-29B, meant for training the personnels. Featured a mirror above the canopy, meant for the trainee seated at the back-seat to look at the trainer's operations and be suitably guided.

AVIONIC CHARACTERISTICS : Has no special radar, infra-red sensors mounted only.

::: MiG-29 K :::

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISTICS : Being a naval variant, its one of the highly reinforced variants featuring a strengthened landing gears, foldable wings, arresting hooks and slightly drooped nose to enhance pilot's visiblity. These single-seater variants are powered by 2 Klimov RD-33MK series engines. Features no vents on LERX, unlike B/UB/UPG varinats, instead had meshnets at the intakes to avoid foreign object debri (FOD) ingestion. These variants have mid-air refuelling capablity.

AVIONIC CHARACTERISTICS : A Zhuk-M1E radar, an advanced variant of Zhuk-ME is mounted on it. 3 LCD displays present. These varinats had TopGun and Topsight HMDS and had inbuilt targeting pods.

SPECIAL FEATURES : These (K and KUB) are one of the most stealthy variant of MiG-29 operated by India as these variants have radar absorbing matrial coatings and engines have less smoke and less heat signature. Hardpoint numbers can be increased to upto 13 to carry a 5.5 ton payload.

ARMAMENTS : 30mm GSh-30 canon, R-77, Kh-29 ,31 & 35 missiles

CURRENT STATUS : 29 operational with IN, atleast 10-13 on order.

::: MiG-29KUB :::

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISTICS : Same as MiG-29K, except features a tendem-seater arrangement (pilots seated one behind the other). Front pilot does flying operations while the one seated behind (Weapon System Officer, WSO) does majority of reconaissance, attacking and defensive jobs. Deployed for training and combat missions as well.

AVIONIC CHARACTERISTIC : Same as MiG-29K. Has 7 LCD displays instead of 3.

REMARK : MiG-29K and MiG-29KUB have same sized canopy, though the crew number is different. It means the length of canopy in KUB is as big as in K variant. In K variant, the back seat is omitted and instead fuel tank is housed. So you would know the difference between K & KUB variant only when you look inside the cockpit. KUB has lesser operational range than K-variant.

ARMAMENTS : 30mm GSh-30 canon, R-77 A-A missiles, Kh-31 and 35 missiles.

CURRENT STATUS : 4 operational with the IN

::: MiG-29 UPG :::

STRUCTURAL CHARACTERISTICS : One of the highly advanced variant of MiG-29 family, these single seater variants can be easily identified with a humped/ enlarged spine meant for carrying more fuel. Mid-air refueling capablity is incorporated which further increases its range. Its basically an upgradation of MiG-29B, currently being done by HAL. Atleast 6 such aircrafts are known to be present in IAF. Powered by Klimov R-33 Series 3 engines built under license by HAL.

AVIONIC CHARACTERISTIC : Features a Zhuk-M2E radar which allows terrain mapping and following.

ARMAMENTS : 30mm GSh-30 canon, R-27, R-72, R-77, R-60, etc.

CURRENT STATUS : 6 delivered by Russia, 1 upgraded by India (HAL) and remaining are under upgradation.
12009801_964385906972798_454147154423881889_n.jpg

Indian-Aerospace/Defence News

Last edited:
How many Mig-29s India has or will have ultimately?

I.A.F. has around 66 Mig-29 B/UB models most of which are currently getting upgraded to Mig-UPG standard.Plus the I.N.A.W. has around 45 Mig-29K(the most advanced version of Mig-29) and there have been talks of buying another tranche of 45 Mig-29K from Russia.

At present we have
52 Mig29B
7 Mig29UB
7 Mig29UPG
33 Mig29K
6 Mig29KUB

All Mig29B/UBs will be upgraded to Mig29UPG/Smt standard by 2020
Mig29K/Kub will increase to 45
So you are looking at 110 Mig29s in service by Mid next year.
Their is a chance that India might order another 30 Mig29K/KUB if their is a delay in NLCA

At present we have
52 Mig29B
7 Mig29UB
7 Mig29UPG
33 Mig29K
6 Mig29KUB

All Mig29B/UBs will be upgraded to Mig29UPG/Smt standard by 2020
Mig29K/Kub will increase to 45
So you are looking at 110 Mig29s in service by Mid next year.
Their is a chance that India might order another 30 Mig29K/KUB if their is a delay in NLCA
is the DSI tech possible on Mig29 upgrades :azn:

again this dumb *** person trolling on my post , we all know tht we find article from different post and website , so people like u trolling every time i post is ridiculous

Bhai thats
Star wars level Alien tech
Not meant for non roohani fighters
May the Force be with you
maybe we might try that on UAE's second hand M2Ks india is considering in buying :coffee:

@samlove
Sir for your kind information its very obvious that every piece of information here on this website comes from different posts and websites but most members here do give the credits.

We at IADN put in lots of hours for gathering information and preparing posts. Its very bad from your side that you refrain to give credits to our work and at the same time abuse me.

@samlove
Sir for your kind information its very obvious that every piece of information here on this website comes from different posts and websites but most members here do give the credits.

We at IADN put in lots of hours for gathering information and preparing posts. Its very bad from your side that you refrain to give credits to our work and at the same time abuse me.

sir if starting telling a person tht ( @samlove is a Pakistani Bot , he never responds :disagree:. His Job is to Post Threads)

then this
(Isn't that your job here :pdf: , to start New threads every day , non-stop no matter what . :bounce:

People open new threads if they want to debate or clarify or disagree on things but not with you , You just open just for sake of opening and never debate or initiate any , may be it is to get Thanks and positive ratings :wave:)

then this (Yuck , all for few Virtual thanks and ratings)

if u have a problem with me u should have asked me directly ,rather then posting all this , showing superiority over other , demeaning others is not a good practice , u should have asked me straight forward.

it's always a good practice to mention your source
there is no harm in it
i did this bcos this guy trolled all over in last post , called me this( @@samlove is a Pakistani Bot , he never responds :disagree:. His Job is to Post Threads).then this (Isn't that your job here :pdf: , to start New threads every day , non-stop no matter what . :bounce:

People open new threads if they want to debate or clarify or disagree on things but not with you , You just open just for sake of opening and never debate or initiate any , may be it is to get Thanks and positive ratings :wave:)
then this (Yuck , all for few Virtual thanks and ratings)

he was trying to show superiority over other ,if he had any problem with me should have straight forward asked me

I have nothing to do with your opening threads and others opinion about you. And neither did I intervened or posted anything like that on your posts.
My only aim was to get the due for my team members.Operating from a cell its bit easier to post my request here directly than to message you personally. If that's the matter then sorry.

You mean that I said

"@samlove is a Pakistani Bot , he never responds . His Job is to Post Threads).then this (Isn't that your job here , to start New threads every day , non-stop no matter what .

People open new threads if they want to debate or clarify or disagree on things but not with you , You just open just for sake of opening and never debate or initiate any , may be it is to get Thanks and positive ratings )
then this (Yuck , all for few Virtual thanks and ratings)"

To you????

Sir see my profile and the one who said it. You are doing a mistake here.

@samlove

He is False flag and a idiot Pakistani , who doesn't know who is who .

His only job every morning is to start mindless thread which he is not interested in debating , Just think about it , Why will an Indian will not give credit to work done by other Indians ??

He wants people visiting Pakistani site rather than Indian website , that's why he removes all links and even mention of your website from the articles so that his Pakistani admin makes money . His job is to Start threads not for debates but to rob others credits and hard work .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom