Marlboro man dies of smoking disease

Developereo

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Marlboro man dies of smoking disease

1390817354552.jpg-620x349.jpg

Global figure: The Marlboro men were featured in billboards around the world, including in Albania. Photo: Reuters

Los Angeles: Eric Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72.

Lawson died on January 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said on Sunday.

Lawson was an actor with bit parts on such TV shows as Baretta and The Streets of San Francisco when he was hired to appear in print Marlboro ads from 1978 to 1981. His other credits include Charlie's Angels, Dynasty and Baywatch. His wife said injuries sustained on the set of a Western film ended his career in 1997.

A smoker since the age of 14, Lawson later appeared in an anti-smoking commercial that parodied the Marlboro man and an "Entertainment Tonight" segment to discuss the negative effects of smoking. Susan said her husband was proud of the interview, even though he was smoking at the time and continued the habit until he was diagnosed with COPD.

"He knew the cigarettes had a hold on him," she said. "He knew, yet he still couldn't stop."

A few actors and models who pitched Marlboro brand cigarettes have died of smoking-related diseases. They include David Millar, who died of emphysema in 1987, and David McLean, who died of lung cancer in 1995.

Lawson was survived by six children, 18 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

Okay .. I have COPD, no one told me its was fatal !!!

I'mma have to rethink on that quitting deadline now.

Thanks for the post @Developereo

Well sadly because of this deadly addiction many people are dying every day. In New zealand they plan to ban smoking by 2020. Lets hope.

72 year old man died cause of smoking i guess if he wasn't smoking he would have died at the age of 100 and in diapers. No where i am saying smoking is good for you. it should be banned immediately all over the world.

I wonder how many cigarettes he was smoking in a day? 6 to 7 a day shouldn't be dangerous, what? :undecided:

Most smokers get diagnosed with COPD within 10 years of regular smoking. While COPD itself is not fatal as the article led me to believe for a second other assorted complications that it comes packaged with can prove to be a handful.

Nicotine patches and gums chaps .... :D

Still......Smoking has various negative effects and we all know it!!
Yeah smoking have negative effects, there is no doubt in it but some time it feels people overact to it. We inhale polluted smoke from traffic every day on road. Although life without smoking is defiantly much better experience. You feel the difference if you quit smoking, though it takes years to regain the health you loose to smoking!

Yeah smoking have negative effects, there is no doubt in it but some time it feels people overact to it. We inhale polluted smoke from traffic every day on road. Although life without smoking is defiantly much better experience. You feel the difference if you quit smoking, though it takes years to regain the health you loose to smoking!
If you don't smoke you'll live to be 75. If you do, you'll live to 72. So why lose the pleasures of life just for those extra 3 years??? :azn:

If you don't smoke you'll live to be 75. If you do, you'll live to 72. So why lose the pleasures of life just for those extra 3 years??? :azn:
Well its not just number of years you live but the quality of living! If you are heavy on smoking it will hurt your health in certain ways for example dental issues, breathing problems, insomnia, digestion etc.

i guess he got free malboro supply for life

I smoke and I havent died yet nor any problems... so STFU !

let me lit my marlboro :drag:

ive been trying to quit off and on for the past 2 years...started when i was 16

horrible habit, waste of money....not worth experimenting

definitely will muster the courage again; dont want to make doctors rich and be hacking my lungs out. Luckily I can still run the mile within the 6 minute bracket and play squash without panting for breath

dont smoke, kids!

Back
Top Bottom