What's new

Mangalyaan sends another image of Mars

SrNair

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
d5f4a6eae87832d89adcbc0eb8cd8e1f-_-jpg.118054

“Another full disc image of Mars, taken by the Mars Color Camera, from an altitude of 66,543 km. Dark region towards south of the cloud formation is Elysium - the second largest volcanic province on Mars,” the facebook page of Isro Mars Orbiter said on Tuesday.
The spacecraft had beamed its first photos of Mars’ crater-marked surface a day after India successfully put the probe into the red planet’s orbit.
Just after that Isro had uploaded the regional dust storm activities over northern hemisphere of Mars - captured by Mars Color Camera.The image was taken from an altitude of 74500 km from the surface of Mars.
India joined an exclusive global club of deep space explorers on September 24 when the indigenously-made spacecraft successfully slipped into the orbit around Mars after a 10-month journey on a relatively shoe-string budget.
@nair @sandy_3126 @kurup @jarves @abjktu @Dillinger @SpArK @acetophenol @sancho and others

Last edited:
@TejasMk3
Thats right bro.But question is why they are this much selective.?
We know that ISRO may take hundreds of pictures .But they are released just 3 pictures.

@TejasMk3
We know that ISRO may take hundreds of pictures .But they are released just 3 pictures.
Without doubt bro. They would hv been reciving hundrends of pics a day. A few would be relased at particular intervals to keep ppl like us entertained .

looks quite different from nasa pics!!!

View attachment 118085[/quote]
Looks like faulty camera , not looks like image NASA has been showing us for 20 years

NASA image is it me or the NASA image a bit more high HD

View attachment 118085
you got be kidding me!!! Hd images???? do you even know how much time does it take to receive 1mb data from that distance??? mom camera is 4mp
do you know curiousity rover only used 2mp camera?
The amount of data produced is a large
reason for using 2 MP cameras. There just
isn't enough bandwidth for anything more
powerful because the cameras must share
with other instruments. Curiosity sends data
back to Earth via the UHF transmitter, which
transmits to two spacecraft orbiting Mars. The
data is then sent back to Earth, and this
system only allows for 250 megabits per day
to be shared amongst various instruments

Last edited:
@TejasMk3
Yup they do take a lot of pictures, even in earth orbit, the orbiter took as many as 15-20 pics, but only 1 was released.

The pictures are mostly meant for pr work, so the ones released will be the glamorous,good looking ones. Other pics were meant for testing,and some might not make sense for the average person but actually provide context for scientific data. But yes, a lot of people do hope that at a later stage they might release all the pics/data from the mission.

@AZADPAKISTAN2009 @RKO
That image was created from pictures taken by the viking-1 orbiter. It's actually a mosaic generated from hundreds of images, plus more importantly, after removing atmospheric effects (i.e basically mars without it's atmosphere), hence the colour difference (the original pics were b&w, like this Mars - Viking 1 Orbiter)

Looks like faulty camera , not looks like image NASA has been showing us for 20 years

View attachment 118085

These images are reconstructed to form a HD image of the Martian topography, by overlapping one image over the another with excruciating details, hence eliminating the noise from the picture.

Here are some comments from some actual 'experts' and not some Pakistani butt hurts:

Emily Lakdawalla from planetary.org :

Mars Orbiter Mission delivers on promise of global views of Mars | The Planetary Society

I am so excited about Mars Orbiter Mission's global Mars views. We used to get global views of Mars at every Martian opposition from Hubble, but their resolution was not as high, and Hubble has not been used to image Mars recently. Hubble's best image of Mars, taken more than 11 years ago, shows an almost identical hemisphere, and you can see that the Mars Orbiter Mission photo has superior detail:

If the Mars Orbiter Mission does nothing else but return to us a variety of global images of Mars from different positions and phases, the mission will be a great success, as far as I'm concerned. It'll be a data set unlike any generated by any other mission, and the single-frame photos should find their way into lots of books and magazines, informing the public perception of Mars for years to come.

Tariq Malik (Managing Editor of space.com)
Indian Spacecraft Snaps Spectacular Portrait of Mars (Photo)

Sibusiso, I agree with you. It has been a long time since we've seen a global view like this of Mars from a spacecraft so close. Our collective jaws here at the Space.com offices hit the floor when we saw it.

almost all of the engineers who worked on this were south indians :agree:

I don't know the picture is too dark , can't visually see the features clearly any chance they can put a flash light on camera at least we see the dark spots clearly

Back
Top Bottom