What's new

Malayalam Cinema (and other regional films) dominates National Awards 2018

KapitaanAli

Reaction score
Country
India
National Awards 2018: Tracing Mollywood’s clean sweep and KJ Yesudas’ unrivaled record
Firstpost • Apr 13, 2018 17:36 IST

By Surendhar MK

yesudas-singer.jpg

The 65th National Film Awards for the year 2017 were announced earlier today by the jury headed by director Shekhar Kapur, who showered lavish praise on the growth and domination of regional cinema and also strongly advocated the inclusion of more women in the panel next year.

The most notable milestones for southern cinema this year include the domination of Malayalam film industry – a record nine awards in the main feature film category – Oscar award-winning composer AR Rahman eclipsing Maestro’s Ilaiyaraja record and veteran playback singer KJ Yesudas bagging his eighth award after 25 years.

Yesudas. Image from News 18.

In the main feature film section which comprises of 37 awards and 29 categories – excluding the individual Best Feature Film awards for regional languages – the richly deserving Mollywood leads the pack with the lion's share of nine awards, followed by Bollywood’s six, Bengali industry’s four which shares its place with the surprise entrant in Assamese with four honors.

Also read: National Film Awards 2018 complete winners list: Sridevi named Best Actress; Newton is Best Hindi Film

For an industry which has been consistently churning out path-breaking yet simple films – interspersed with rooted stories – at regular intervals, Mollywood has made the right noise and fetched its due recognition this year.

Director Dileesh Pothan’s highly-celebrated sophomore drama Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyumbagged two awards including the Best Supporting Actor for Fahadh Faasil (his first national award) and Best Original Screenplay for Sajeev Pazhoor. The film also won the Best Feature Film for Malayalam in the regional category, taking its total count to three. It must be noted that Dileesh’s directorial debutMaheshinte Prathikaram also won two awards last year including Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Regional Film in Malayalam. Fahadh Faasil was a strong contender on paper for the Best Actor category last year, which was secured by Akshay Kumar for Rustom, eventually leading to a social media furore for the jury’s – headed by director Priyadarshan - debatable choice.

Another notable award was the Special Mention for actress Parvathy for her sterling performance as Sameera in Mahesh Narayan-directed survival thriller Take Off, which also earned Santhosh Raman a Best Production Design award for the film’s realistic set pieces. Jury head Shekhar Kapur also revealed how Parvathy emerged as strong competition for Sridevi, who has been posthumously conferred the Best Actress award for the Hindi thriller Mom.

Multiple national award-winning ace Malayalam filmmaker Jayaraj took home two awards including the Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Director for his period drama Bhayanakam. Another main category secured by Bhayanakamincludes the Best Cinematography award for Nikhil S Praveen.

Telugu cinema grabbed three honors in technical categories for SS Rajamouli’s globe-trotting blockbuster Baahubali: The Conclusion including the Best Action Direction – which will be shared by King Solomon, Lee Whittaker and the Thailand-based Kecha Khamphakdee – Best Special Effects for RC Kamalakannan and Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. Out of the 23 awards granted so far for Best Special Effects, Tamil and Telugu film industries have won ten and five respectively, while Bollywood stands at seven. Historically, 70% of the category is dominated by Tamil and Telugu with directors Shankar and Rajamouli contributing with six and four films each.

Tamil cinema, which delivered a handful of brilliant films last year including Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru, Aramm, Vikram Vedha, and Taramani to name a few, walked away with mostly empty hands – barring AR Rahman’s Best Music Direction for Mani Ratnam’s Kaatru Veliyidai and Shashaa Tirupati’s Best Female Playback Singer award for the song Vaan from the same film.

AR Rahman also won the Best Background Score award for Sridevi-starrer Mom, making him the only composer with six national awards up his sleeve in the Best Music Direction category. With two awards this year, Rahman has surpassed Ilaiyaraja’s record of five wins which includes two Best Background Score awards for Pazhassi Raja and Thaarai Thappattai.

25 years after his last national award in 1993, veteran singer KJ Yesudas continued his unrivaled record by winning the Best Male Playback Singer award for the song Poy Maranja Kalamcomposed by Ramesh Narayan for the Malayalam film Viswasapoorvam Mansoor. Now, Yesudas holds the coveted feat for being the only singer with eight national awards, followed by SP Balasubrahmanyam who has six wins.

National Film Awards

Standard of regional cinema stunning, Hindi films cannot compete: Shekhar Kapur
The jury chairperson of the 65th National Film Awards added that the time had come for him to return to India to make a movie.

TNM Staff

Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:38

shekharkapur759.jpg

PTI

When it comes to Indian cinema, Hindi films cannot compete with other regional cinema that are churning out world-class content today, said filmmaker Shekhar Kapur as he announced the winners of the 65th National Awards.

The jury chairperson of the awards said that he had stopped making films in India because he felt that the standard of Hindi cinema was just not good enough. However, after he watched several regional films during the process of judging, he said, he is set to return to the country.

"The last film that I made in India was Bandit Queen. I've never a film in India after that for a reason. I wanted to make better cinema than what Hindi cinema offered me. And for years I wanted to come back here and make a film in India. For years I have been watching films and saying ... The standard of Hindi films was just not good enough. Why should I go back? We should move forward, face different challenges, we need to creatively grow. Ten days (of watching regional films) have changed that opinion," he said.

"I was stunned at the quality of films not in Hindi cinema, but in regional cinema. Cinema that has never come up before," he continued. "I didn't even know that films were made in Lakshwadeep. I didn't know Assam was making films that were winning at the Cannes Film Festival. I didn't know Bengali films had moved so forward. After 10 days, I was thinking the whole of last night, it's time to make a film in India. Because the standard of regional cinema is world-class."

The filmmaker also said Hindi films at present cannot compete with regional cinema because the former is simply not at par with the latter.

"I used to watch Malayalam films, and (in one film) the main character is a wife-beater and a rapist and I hated him. I felt like beating him up. And when I am watching another film I am like, 'This is not that actor; he is the victim here'. And then I realised the standard of performances in some of these regional films is completely stunning. Hindi films cannot compete with them. Not at the state it is in. And I know why. Hindi films try too hard to become everything," he said.

While many praised Shekhar for giving credit where it’s due, some pointed out that regional films have been excelling for a very long time now.

Regional cinema eclipses Bollywood

Lakshwadweep to Ladakh, the 65th National Film Award winners' list encompassed cinematic gems from the length and breadth of India, with an Assamese film Village Rockstars walking away with the Best Feature Film title after nearly three decades.

The winners' list has a good mix of Malayalam, Marathi, Bengali and Assamese films.

Movies in the languages other than those specified in the VIII Schedule of the Constitution in the feature film categories were also awarded, the jury pointed out. The award for the Best Jasari Film was given to Sinjar, Best Tulu Film to Paddayi and the Best Ladakhi Film to Walking with the Wind, which won two other honours.

Only Newton emerged as the big winner out of Hindi cinema as it bagged the Best Hindi Film award and a Special Mention for actor Pankaj Tripathi.

Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman won two honours – music direction award for Tamil film Kaatru Veliyidai and best background music for Mom.

"Regional cinema is giving Hindi cinema a run for its money," Kapur, who led a 10-member jury for this year's National Film Awards, told IANS.

With IANS inputs

"Regional cinema is giving Hindi cinema a run for its money"

Not really. Nothing in South Asia comes close to the Hindi film industry. Influential across a large swathe of Asia, including the Middle East. Even many Pakistanis are seemingly addicted to it.

"Regional cinema is giving Hindi cinema a run for its money"

Not really. Nothing in South Asia comes close to the Hindi film industry. Influential across a large swathe of Asia, including the Middle East. Even many Pakistanis are seemingly addicted to it.
It's indeed the biggest industry. It's fed by other industries as well because of higher profits.
The quote isn't related to that.

Yet these quality products are ignored and Hindi-Hindi all over Indian government controlled broadcast TV (Doordarsan).

@BlueTopaz @ashok321 @pothead @punit @tomm @shootingstar @Nilgiri @SOUTHie @patman @AMCA @abcxyz0000 @kmc_chacko @randomradio @Hindustani78 @psugumar @Zen0
@spsk @Bhushan Jamiwar

Who is ignoring them?
Do you even know that most people you tagged including me are from South India?
Of course South films are much better than the crap fest from Mumbai - What else can you expect from Bollywood which has sold it's soul to Jihadis.

DumbAsso, DD has regional channels for each and every state and has only those regional movies in those channels.

YOU ARE WRONG. Regional centers(kendras) also show lots of Hindi movies. Example, Madras Kendra shows many Hindi movies. That is irritating. They show ONLY Hindi movies in so many "national" channels seen all over Tamil Nadu. Why do you show Hindi movies in channels seen only in South?

Hindi on Chennai Television

Indian Government has increased the number of Hindi programmes while reducing the Tamil programs at the Chennai regional television channel. This makes no sense since this regional channel is seen only in Tamilnadu where almost everyone knows Tamil and very few know Hindi.

To be fair.... Malayalam does have a very good dramas... and most of the films will have agood meaning and a moral story...

Bollywood has become a Soft **** industry while Telugu films have too too much Masalas

Back
Top Bottom