What's new

"Makkah and Madinah News and Updates"

it was the local Sharif of Makkah, Madinah and Hijaz and his family (Hashemites) who were de facto the safe keepers and rulers of Hijaz alongside with the local Hijazi population who always and to this very day take care and host pilgrims.
That was the concept of Ottoman rule anywhere.

I once saw a beautiful photo series showing the development of Makkah and Al-Masjid Al-Haram beginning from the Rashidun Caliphate and spanning across the Umayyad Caliphate, Abbasid Caliphate, Fatimid Caliphate, Ottoman Caliphate, Kingdom of Hijaz and ending with modern-day KSA
I'd like to see it, too.

That was the concept of Ottoman rule anywhere.

I'd like to see it, too.

I know but the concept predated the Ottoman Caliphate and already existed at the time of the Abbasid Caliphate.
The Umayyad Caliphate, which is the biggest caliphate in history and 5th biggest empire in history, tried to centralize all territories under their control but this proved very difficult and eventually let to them getting deposed by the Abbasid Caliphate in the year 750 as they often faced local resistance.

The same concept existed in previous and later empires whether the short-lived Mongol Empire or the more recent British Empire. It was a totally different world in terms of technology, military, communication, travel etc.

I will try to look for it but naturally a lot of the photos were illustrations as photography is less than 200 years old. However there is enough of literature that describes how Makkah and Madinah looked like during the Islamic ages and even in pre-Islamic times.

Last edited:
The same concept existed in previous and later empires whether the short-lived Mongol Empire or the more recent British Empire. It was a totally different world in terms of technology, military, communication, travel etc.
I understand it but I speak generally of the concept Ottoman Caliphate adopted since it's founding day, be it Hejaz region or Germanic region's. Except Hashemite's for some reason, Brit's did not have such concept but force, with appointed colonial governor's over local people. Unlike a handful Arabic tribes, Arab world suffered terribly and their suffer continues until this day.

"Our government is worse than the old Turkish system. They kept fourteen thousand (Arabs) local conscripts embodied, and killed a yearly average of two hundred criminal Arabs in maintaining peace. We keep ninety thousand men, with aeroplanes, armoured cars, gunboats, and armoured trains. We have killed about ten thousand Arabs in this rising this summer.

We say we are in Mesopotamia to develop it for the benefit of the world. All experts say that the labour supply is the ruling factor in its development. How far will the killing of ten thousand villagers and townspeople this summer hinder the production of wheat, cotton, and oil? How long will we permit millions of pounds, thousands of Imperial troops, and tens of thousands of Arabs to be sacrificed on behalf of colonial administration which can benefit nobody but its administrators?"

A Report on Mesopotamia by T.E. Lawrence
August 2nd, 1920"

the more recent British Empire. It was a totally different world in terms of technology, military, communication, travel etc.
British empire wasn't that different than Ottoman Empire around 1800's, 1900's. It's not that different to me.

I will try to look for it but naturally a lot of the photos were illustrations as photography is less than 200 years old.
I still would like to see :)

I understand it but I speak generally of the concept Ottoman Caliphate adopted since it's founding day, be it Hejaz region or Germanic region's. Except Hashemite's for some reason, Brit's did not have such concept but force, with appointed colonial governor's over local people. Unlike a handful Arabic tribes, Arab world suffered terribly and their suffer continues until this day.

"Our government is worse than the old Turkish system. They kept fourteen thousand (Arabs) local conscripts embodied, and killed a yearly average of two hundred criminal Arabs in maintaining peace. We keep ninety thousand men, with aeroplanes, armoured cars, gunboats, and armoured trains. We have killed about ten thousand Arabs in this rising this summer.

We say we are in Mesopotamia to develop it for the benefit of the world. All experts say that the labour supply is the ruling factor in its development. How far will the killing of ten thousand villagers and townspeople this summer hinder the production of wheat, cotton, and oil? How long will we permit millions of pounds, thousands of Imperial troops, and tens of thousands of Arabs to be sacrificed on behalf of colonial administration which can benefit nobody but its administrators?"

A Report on Mesopotamia by T.E. Lawrence
August 2nd, 1920"

British empire wasn't that different than Ottoman Empire around 1800's, 1900's. It's not that different to me.

I still would like to see :)

Germanic region? Don't you mean Slavic (Balkans)?

Hijaz (Sharifate of Makkah) was the most autonomous region and outside of a few Ottoman military garrisons in the main cities (Jeddah, Makkah, Madinah, Ta'if, Yanbu etc.) which were mostly of local Arab origin, it was a self-governed province of Arabia. That is why, among other things, the Ottomans with German help planned to built the Hijaz railway.

As for the Arab Uprising, its nature is complex and Arabs and Turks have differing views in this regard. It was an almost exclusively Arab affair. All I can say is that Arabs had their own interests which British used for their interests but the British were always looking for their own interests and were at the end of the day against Arabs just like any people in the ME region.

In fact Arabs, who made up the majority of the Ottoman population and lands, were the last people to revolt, excluding the Egyptians who did that successfully a century before. Long before that Greeks, people of Balkans (Slavs and Albanians - Muslims as non-Muslims) revolted as did Turks from within (Young Turks). The truth is that the Ottomans, after 400 years of rule, had been a sick empire since practically the defeat at the Battle of Vienna in 1683.

Your quote, which authenticity I do not know about, is about British presence in modern-day Iraq and that part of history is Iraqi-British history. Iraqis (under Faisal I) revolted against the Brits in 1920 which led to greater autonomy for Iraq. Back then the Brits were the greatest power in the world (by far) and they committed much greater crimes in Iran first and foremost (just during WW1 alone where their actions caused a famine in Iran which killed 8-10 million people) and later in Turkey during the Turkish War of Independence.

http://english.khamenei.ir/news/219...-died-over-Great-Famine-caused-by-the-British

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4311715

Anyway all of this is off-topic and I believe that we have already discussed this issue in the past if I am not wrong?

I understand. As I wrote, I will try to do my best in this regard if I can find the source again.

Last edited:
Germanic region? Don't you mean Slavic (Balkans)?
No, I exactly mean Germanic region's, claimed by Habsburgs.

All I can say is that Arabs had their own interests which British used for their interests
We could have defeat the Brit's in today's most troubled countries of ME but whatever, it wasn't written in our destiny and I respect it for sake of the one who writes it.

In fact Arabs, who made up the majority of the Ottoman population and lands, were the last people to revolt
That's very sad from my point of view and we could avoid it peacefully before WWI, not all Arab's but some figures within Arab world, revolted with a signifiant power during war and that was enough.

Anyway all of this is off-topic
No need to take it further, I agree.

I understand. As I wrote, I will try to do my best in this regard if I can find the source again.
Tag me, whenever.

Last edited:
No, I exactly mean Germanic region's, claimed by Habsburgs.

We could have defeat the Brit's in today's most troubled countries of ME but whatever, it wasn't written in our destiny and I respect it for sake of the one who writes it.

No need to take it further, I agree.

Tag me, whenever :tup:

Well, sorry for being pedantic but that part of the world (the areas of the Balkans under Ottoman authority) were all Slavic or Albanian in origin. They only become "Germanic" after the conquests of Austria-Hungary in the 19th century.:-)

History is what it is. You can interpret it in many ways but you cannot change it. What we should put emphasis on instead is the long common history between Arabs and Turks that started to intensify during the Abbasid Caliphate and which lasts to this day. Of course the Arab world's relation to neighboring Anatolia is several millennia old but that was before the Turkic conquest and I am not sure if Turks relate to this part of history that much. Nevertheless it exists in case people forget.

Actually despite our posts being off-topic it is important for people to engage in dialogue. It's better than silence if you ask me.

For sure.

Anyway to return to topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expansion work ongoing

13329185_209656522761682_940285320_n.jpg

S44A0706-2.jpg

_K7X1481.jpg

_K7X1785.jpg

S44A03483.jpg

_K7X17831.jpg

_K7X1845.jpg

_MG_01861.jpg

Prophet’s Mosque geared to welcome Ramadan visitors

MADINAH — The agency that looks after the affairs of the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah has mobilized 5,000 employees, including women, to implement its Ramadan plan designed to ensure the welfare and comfort of pilgrims and visitors around the clock during the holy month.

“We have readied 16,000 prayer mats and made arrangements to bring 300 tons of Zamzam water daily from Makkah,” an official statement issued by the agency said. Zamzam water will be made available inside and outside the mosque through 15,000 coolers.

The arrangement for iftar at the mosque’s courtyards is one of the agency’s most important tasks during Ramadan. Iftar is arranged for more than 100,000 worshippers inside and outside the mosque daily and the visitors will be supplied with dates, bread, yogurt, tea and coffee to break their fasts.

The agency has readied 40 water storage facilities, in addition to 385 water taps in 20 separate locations. It has made available 2,500 additional water coolers to meet the Ramadan demand. “Pilgrims and visitors will enjoy the comfort provided by 250 sunshades in the courtyards around the mosque as well as 436 air-conditioning units,” the statement said.

Large plasma screens have been installed in various places to give guidelines to the worshippers.

The agency has made special arrangements for women to visit and pray in Rawdah Al-Shareef, the most sacred part of the mosque close to the Prophet’s tomb, and security officers and the agency’s staff will guide visitors to ensure a the flow of worshippers to the area as smooth as possible.

In the women’s sections of the mosque, highly qualified university graduates who speak different languages have been appointed to provide various services to pilgrims and visitors. Women police officers have been deployed in the area for crowd control and security.

A group of Islamic scholars have been appointed to give lessons on Islamic topics in different parts of the mosque and clear doubts of the public on various issues at specific times each day. A scientific course on the jurisprudence of fasting is being conducted at the mosque.

The mosque’s library has made special arrangements to receive visitors during Ramadan, the agency said. There is a separate library for women on the east-western side of the mosque. An audio visual unit distributes cassettes and CDs of Qur’an recitations and Friday sermons.

A large number of Qur’an copies and its translations in various languages printed by King Fahd Qur’an Printing Complex in Madinah have been made available in all areas of the mosque.

The agency has appointed a number of translators, especially university students, to guide pilgrims from different countries, the statement said. They also translate the lessons given by Islamic scholars for the benefit of non-Arab visitors.

The maintenance crew checks the light and sound systems at the mosque and carries out necessary repairs at regular intervals. This department also operates the sunshades in the mosque’s courtyards as and when required. A separate department takes care of the underground parking facilities.

The Prophet Mosque, which is the most sacred mosque for Muslims after the Grand Mosque in Makkah, has 100 doors, which are kept open around the clock during Ramadan. Electric stairs take worshippers to pray on the roof when the mosque is crowded.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...adan-visitors/

Special forces play key role in Makkah crowd management

MAKKAH — Security authorities have installed 852 CCTV cameras in different parts of the Grand Mosque to ensure the safety of pilgrims and worshippers and prevent overcrowding, said Maj. Gen. Mohammed Wasel Al-Ahmadi, commander of the special security force.

“These cameras are linked directly with the operations room where 200 large monitors have been installed to follow the security situation inside and outside the mosque and ensure comfort and well-being of the guests of God,” Al-Ahmadi told Okaz/Saudi Gazette in an exclusive interview.

He said the cameras and monitors help manage the movement of hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who come to the mosque to perform Umrah, regular prayers and the Taraweeh during the holy month of Ramadan.

“The operation room provides guidance to field security officers to deal with various situations, including overcrowding inside the mosque and its surrounding plazas,” Al-Ahmadi said.

“We make continuous changes in our operation plans inside the mosque depending on emerging situations and the dense crowds,” the commander said. “We have conducted a workshop for our officers to enhance their skills and capabilities in crowd control and management.”

Al-Ahmadi urged pilgrims and worshippers to cooperate with security officers and other service providers, follow rules and security instructions, and keep away from crowded areas to preserve the safety of themselves and others.

Okaz/Saudi Gazette visited the operations room of the special security force and witnessed highly qualified officers, sitting behind television screens, monitoring security situation in the Haram and giving instructions to field officers to tackle potentially dangerous situations.

Maj. Mansour Al-Qahtani, head of the operations room, said his department was using the most advanced cameras and television screens for crowd management and monitor the movement of pilgrims and worshippers around the clock.

“We can see the developments inside and outside the mosque and give instructions to the field staff to tackle overcrowding and other situations to ensure the smooth flow of pilgrims. We also coordinate with other agencies that extend services to pilgrims,” he added.

The operations room monitors movement of pilgrims and worshippers at the mosque’s gates, the mataf, or circumambulation area around the Holy Kaaba, and the area between Safa and Marwa. Field officers are instructed to direct the worshippers from crowded places to less crowded areas.

Speaking about peak hours, Al-Qahtani said it begins after the Asr prayer when a large number of believers come to the Haram to take part in iftar and Maghreb, Isha and Taraweeh prayers. “We expect a big increase in the number of visitors in the coming days of Ramadan,” Al-Qahtani said.

He said the operations room deals with security and organizational matters.
“The CCTV cameras give us a good picture of the situation inside and outside the mosque. A number of officers have been appointed to coordinate with field teams,” he explained.

Al-Qahtani added: “The operations room is considered the ever watchful eye of the special security force. It helps security officers to follow up developments in mataf, inside the mosque and in the plazas and give instructions to close some gates, especially when they see the mataf, the halls and passages of the mosque overcrowded with worshippers.”

Apart from making strenuous efforts to ensure the safety of pilgrims and worshippers, the special forces are also engaged in assisting pilgrims. “Our officers provide necessary guidance and support to pilgrims whenever required or requested,” he added.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...wd-management/

Minister calls for reducing cost of Haj

RIYADH: Islamic Affairs Minister Saleh Al-Asheikh has called for reducing the cost of the pilgrimage.

This year’s Haj will be in September with pilgrims arriving one month before the start of the rituals. Al-Asheikh made his observation this week at their second meeting in Riyadh in the presence of Deputy Minister Tawfiq Al-Sudairy and members of the committee.
Al-Asheikh stressed the importance of early preparations for the Haj this year and the completion of the tasks entrusted to the ministry as part of its mission to serve the pilgrims and create Islamic awareness.
Saudi Arabia receives two to three million pilgrims from all over the world every year and this requires highly systematic planning and utilization of resources.
The minister emphasized the need for all services related to the performance of the rituals to be ready in advance, especially those pertaining to Meeqat and mosques which receive pilgrims before the start of the season.
Al-Asheikh urged concerned bodies to reduce costs, and integrate the services of various sectors in order to provide advocacy and counseling facilities to the pilgrims by creating timetables.
He said mosques should be ready and complete all tasks and services for the reception of pilgrims during the Haj.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/939691/saudi-arabia

Last edited:
Well, sorry for being pedantic
You don't have to be sorry as I don't think you are being pedantic.

but that part of the world (the areas of the Balkans under Ottoman authority) were all Slavic or Albanian in origin. They only become "Germanic" after the conquests of Austria-Hungary in the 19th century.
Hungary and small part's of Austria (of the time) claimed by Habsburgs were under Ottoman rule, Hungary (of that Austria-Hungary) alone was under rule for 200 years. Neither Austria nor Hungary is Slavic or Albanian origin.

I am not sure if Turks relate to this part of history that much.
Turks, who always held the most important trade routes from Anatolia to China, do relate to Anatolia but we weren't here to stay, now we are since a millenia.

Actually despite our posts being off-topic it is important for people to engage in dialogue.
That is enough as you said, off-topic.

Last edited:
CleQn7aWkAAQEqp.jpg:large

Clzw3FlWMAAnglM.jpg:large

Clzw3EaWIAAGMbW.jpg:large

Clzw3EaWgAAc_y5.jpg:large

Clzw3FuWAAAkoL0.jpg:large

E-bracelets to aid pilgrims

e-bracelet-for-pilgrims.jpg

Tuesday 21 June 2016

MAKKAH: The Ministry of Haj and Umrah has launched an electronic bracelet that stores the personal information of each pilgrim including where the person entered the Kingdom, visa number, passport number and address.

The device also includes data on pilgrims’ licensed service providers, accommodation in Makkah, Madinah or the holy sites, and telephone numbers of those helping them, according to a local media report on Monday.

Eisa Mohammad Rawas, undersecretary for Umrah affairs at the ministry, said the new device would allow better service provision by government and private sector bodies including for those who are lost, elderly and do not speak Arabic.

Rawas said the ministry consulted with travel agents and Umrah companies here and abroad before designing the bracelets. The information can be accessed using a smartphone by employees of the ministry, and security and services bodies. It is inexpensive, lightweight, and water and scratch resistant, he said.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/942776/saudi-arabia

Indonesians have to wait for 37 years to perform Haj

3.2m Indonesians on Haj wait list

indobnesi-640x411.jpg

Being the largest Muslim country with some 220 million Muslims, Indonesia faces a huge demand from its citizens eager to perform Haj.​

Jun 22, 2016

JEDDAH — There are 3.2 million Indonesians on the Haj wait list, said Joko Asmoro, chairman of the Indonesian Muslim Association for Haj and Umrah Travels.

Being the largest Muslim country with some 220 million Muslims, Indonesia faces a huge demand from its citizens eager to perform Haj.

The process, he said, requires people to register their names for Haj in advance to be included on the government Haj list.

“The average waiting time for Haj is 37 years,” said Asmoro.
“This has increased the demand for Umrah as it is less expensive and requires less waiting,” he added.

According to him, there are 3,500 travel agencies in Indonesia. However, only 668 of them are authorized for Umrah. Around 200 are authorized by the Saudi Ministry of Haj and Umrah to organize Haj. There are four airlines to carry Haj and Umrah pilgrims.

He said that there is a VVIP Haj package where pilgrims stay in five star hotels. But this category constitutes only 7% of Indonesian pilgrims. Only 17,000 pilgrims opt for this category as it costs US$8000.

Asmoro was speaking to journalists in an iftar gathering organized Sunday by the Indonesian consulate in Jeddah.

Accompanied by Juman Nazar, vice consul for economic affairs, officials briefed reporters about the cooperation between Saudi Arabia and Indonesia in various fields.

Asked about the delay Haj pilgrims face at the airport, Nazar said: “We are trying to arrange the schedules in advance and make all documents ready to avoid delay and abide by Saudi regulations. We have 3,000 officials who work in shifts to make the process efficient and smooth.”

Speaking about runaway pilgrims, he said it is not a new issue. “We are having strict procedures and we make sure that everyone is registered.”

Answering a Saudi Gazette question about Saudi tourists visiting Indonesia, he said that they have increased by 50% compared to last year.

“We receive 54,000 Saudi tourists who stay from one week to three weeks. We are expecting more visitors. Saudis do not follow travel agency schedules. They prefer to have their special arrangements,” Nazar said.

According to him, besides tickets, a one-week to 10-day stay in Indonesian may cost $1,000.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...s-perform-haj/

Young Hijazis celebrate their cultural history

Jun 25, 2016

Samar Fatany

As part of the National Transformation Program, the Kingdom has allocated $1 billion to preserve its cultural heritage. The festival Ramadanna Kida (Our Ramadan Was Like This) held in the historical area of Jeddah is one of many concerted efforts to bring back to life the Hijazi culture and the rich heritage of Old Jeddah.

The initiative organized by the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage in cooperation with Makkah Province and Jeddah Municipality is a positive development for the advancement of the Jeddah historical area. The great number of visitors attending the festival is an indication of how the public is eager to celebrate Hejazi history and culture.

Visitors, young and old, men and women, from different segments of society with smiling faces walk along the lanes in Old Jeddah, enjoying scenes of the past. Young Jiddawis in traditional dress display their goods and proudly invite people to share their delicacies with welcoming poetry and folklore songs. Their confident eloquence with rhyming words and traditional tunes add a sense of pride and nostalgia to the old customs of a once simple and happy life. Also significant are the old style cafes serving traditional coffee and mint tea with popular Ramadan dishes, allowing visitors to relive the beautiful atmosphere of the friendly neighborhoods that prevailed in Hijaz decades ago.

One of the most impressive features of this year’s festival is the “Years Gone By” photograph exhibition. The photographs bring back to life the cultural heritage of the old city and its significance as a historic route for the journey of pilgrims to the holy sites. The authentic photographs projected on large television screens depict the social atmosphere of Old Jeddah and its role as a global trading hub. What is also impressive is the high quality resolution of these old pictures dating back to more than half a century ago. Each screen shows scenes that capture the past with historical images of Jeddah and prominent merchant families. They describe the daily trade activities with workers unloading the goods carried on sailboats from ships anchored offshore and the camel caravans carrying pilgrims to the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah.

The “Years Gone By” photograph exhibition is held at Bayt Waqf Al Jar, one of the old buildings in the district which is built of rock and wood and has a distinctive old architecture. Old Jeddah families have brought their children to the exhibition to connect with their roots. Other families have brought their elders to relive their past and reminisce over the beautiful memories of years gone by. The photographs allow the public to value and appreciate their city and culture more.

The historical photograph exhibition is organized by the Barakat Trust and is produced by Tarik Alireza Consulting Engineers, Jeddah and Richard Wilding, London. According to the organizers, the historical images are mostly from the Barakat Trust Photographic Archive, with additional images from the Middle East Centre Archive, St. Anthony’s College, University of Oxford, and the Royal Geographic Society, London. The exhibition has been made possible by the generous support of Tamer Group (SA’AID and the Community) and Banque Saudi Fransi.

The collective effort is an example of civil society contributions that can support government initiatives to promote the Kingdom as a center of culture and help our society develop and prosper. The Barakat Foundation has made significant cultural contributions in the Arab and Muslim world. It provides financial support for the study and research of culture and Islamic art. The trustee and co-founder of the foundation Hamida Alireza has sponsored several projects dedicated to preserving Saudi and Islamic art and Saudi ethnic designs and costumes.

The development of civil society and nongovernmental organizations is necessary to support the National Transformation Program. Cooperation between the government and civil society can produce valuable contributions to the community and to the state. An active civil society is the need of the hour.

— Samar Fatany is a radio broadcaster and writer. She can be reached at samarfatany@hotmail.com

http://saudigazette.com.sa/opinion/young-hijazis-celebrate-cultural-history/

ARAB NEWS | Published — Sunday 26 June 2016

RIYADH: The Ministry of Haj and Umrah stopped issuing Umrah visas from Ramadan 16.
The ministry said the Umrah season for this year registered an increase of 6.6 percent over last year. The number of visas this year was 6,393,464, an increase of 447,252. The number of Umrah visitors last year was 5,946,212.
Till Saturday, the number of pilgrims hit 5,956,631. Egyptians topped the list with 1,303,067 visas, but the number of pilgrims who actually came was 1,252,800, an increase of 17,000 over the previous year. This was followed by Pakistan at 991,337 visas, marking an increase of 29 percent. Indonesia came third with 699,612 visas, an increase of 7.20 percent. Fourth came Turkey with 473,672 visas.
Jordan was fifth with 434,479 visas, marking a 7.59 percent increase over last year. Indian Umrah visas increased to 409,639. Algeria was seventh with 371,949 visas, marking a 28.5 percent increase. Malaysians were issued 226,005 visas, an increase of 10 percent. However, only 215,415 came for the pilgrimage. At eighth place was the UAE with 187,289 visas, an increase of 6.99 percent over last year. Iraq registered a decrease of 10.22 percent, with 168,406 visas.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/945176/saudi-arabia

Mecca is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but I think the place for worship Allah shouldn't be that luxe.

000-4407781881465986792668.jpg

I just don't know what to say. I walked those beautiful marbled floors, at night whilst I listened to nasheeds singing the praises of my Prophet(saws). I will never forget that experience.
I will return very soon. What a beautiful place, the city of eternal light, Medina.

ClB2S4yWAAAXWCk.jpg

Clr4zIyWIAAoDhd.jpg

App to guide pilgrims in Haram

1467291031637810800.jpg

Friday 1 July 2016

JEDDAH: The government is providing all necessary facilities to the pilgrims and visitors of the Grand Mosque through the expansion of the Haram and the implementation of the new navigation system, which guides pilgrims.

Seventy-five electronic screens have been installed inside and outside the Haram, explained Faris bin Mafooz Al-Saadi, the director general of the Operations and Maintenance Department of the Grand Mosque.

He explained that the screen system, which displays information in different languages, was designed for Ramadan with the help of a special team which worked around the clock to make sure it was ready on time.

Additionally, the “Al-Maqsad” navigation application was executed by Makkah Valley Company from Umm Al-Qura and was installed as part of the electronic screen system inside the Haram, with the cooperation of the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques Development Council.

“Al-Maqsad” contains geographical information about the Haram and helps pilgrims to find their way toward Kabba and other key sites, as well as toward the exits. The app can be installed on any smartphone.

Nabil bin Abdul Qadir, vice chairman of the Makkah Valley Technologies Corporation, said that “Al-Maqsad” is one of the most important applications that works to facilitate the movement of pilgrims and visitors around the Grand Mosque.

He praised the efforts of the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques for the implementation of this application and for demonstrating their concern for the safety of pilgrims.

Saleh Bisalamh, CEO of the company, said Al-Maqsad will show the mobile users their location in Arabic and English and will help pilgrims find their way. It works without the need for Internet.

The application has been installed on the ground floor of the Grand Mosque and will soon be installed on the second floor.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/947631/saudi-arabia

Haj safety: Hi-tech bracelets for all pilgrims introduced

hak-640x394.jpg

Jul 1, 2016

THE Kingdom will introduce electronic identification bracelets for all pilgrims to Makkah starting this year, Saudi media said on Thursday, as part of a safety drive a year after the annual Islamic rite suffered its deadliest disaster in a generation.

Scores of people died in a crush when thousands of pilgrims were in Mina for stoning the devil ritual last September.

Containing personal and medical information, the bracelets will help authorities provide care and identify people, the official Saudi Press Agency SPA said.

Water-resistant and connected to GPS, the devices will also instruct worshipers on timings of prayers and a multi-lingual help desk to guide especially non-Arabic speaking pilgrims around the various rituals of the annual Islamic event.

Saudi Arabia oversees the annual pilgrimage to Makkah by more than two million Muslims from around the world.

Nearly a thousand new surveillance cameras were installed this month at the Grand Mosque and linked to control rooms staffed by special forces monitoring pilgrim movements for the Ramadan rush and the Haj event scheduled for September.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...ms-introduced/

Grand Mosque: A center of spirituality and knowledge

imam.jpg

Jul 1, 2016

THE Grand Mosque in Makkah is not only the heart of spirituality but also the center of Islamic knowledge as worshippers from different parts of the world attend lectures and lessons given by prominent Islamic scholars at the mosque on a daily basis.

Twenty-five classes are held daily at the mosque and are attended by a large number of pilgrims and visitors. They ask questions on various topics including religious rites to get their doubts cleared and make sure they correctly follow Islamic teachings.

The practice of giving organized Islamic lessons started at the Grand Mosque centuries ago with the aim of imparting religious knowledge to pilgrims and visitors from around the world coming to perform Haj and Umrah.

The companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and their followers used to sit outside the Kaaba during Haj and Umrah seasons to listen to lectures given by scholars among them.

Sheikh Saleh Al-Laheedan, former chairman of the Supreme Judiciary Council, used to teach Islam to pilgrims and students at the Grand Mosque during Ramadan. He began his class by talking about a particular topic and then answered questions from the audience on different subjects.

Sheikh Saleh Bin Humaid, imam and khateeb of the Grand Mosque, gives lectures after the Fajr prayer sitting by the Holy Kaaba. He elucidates “Neil Al-Autar,” a famous book by Sheikh Mohammed Bin Ali Al-Shoukani.

Sheikh Saad Al-Shathry gave two lectures daily: one in the morning after Fajr and one in the evening after Maghreb prayer. Sheikh Abdul Rahman Al-Ajlan, former chief justice of Qassim, conducts lessons everyday throughout the year at the King Fahd Annex. His lectures attract a large number of college and secondary school students in Makkah.

Islamic lectures and classes continue in the corridors of the Grand Mosque uninterrupted as a result of the dedication of well-known Islamic scholars who wanted to impart knowledge on Islamic Shariah and related subjects to pilgrims and visitors.

Sheikh Yahya Othman deserves special commendation in this respect as he gave such lectures for the past 40 years. Other longstanding teachers are Sheikh Abdul Rahman Al-Ajlan and Sheikh Mohammed Hijazi, who teach the fundamentals of the faith, Tafsir (commentary of the Qur’an) and Hadith (traditions of the Prophet).

Saudi university professors who lecture at the Grand Mosque include Sulaiman Al-Tuwaijri, Hamza Al-Faer, Ali Nafie Al-Olayani, Talal Abunnur, Hassan Bukhari, Abdul Aziz Al-Humaidi, Khaled Al-Musleh, Sami Al-Suqair, Khaled Al-Mushaiqeh, Abdul Aziz Al-Rajhi and Abdullah Al-Tayyar.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...ity-knowledge/

ALBAIK opens fourth outlet in Madinah

albaik-640x353.jpg

Jul 1, 2016

ALBAIK Food Systems Company, which owns the chain of ALBAIK chicken and seafood restaurants, has announced the opening of its fourth branch in the holy city of Madinah.

The new branch is the latest effort in the company’s drive to boost its presence in the city of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as part of its expansion throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Strategically located on the intersection of King Khalid and King Abdulaziz Roads near the Haramain High Speed Rail Station, the new outlet will offer all of ALBAIK’s menu of chicken, seafood and side dishes that the residents of Madinah know and love. Haj and Umrah pilgrims and visitors to the city, especially those who use the train, will now be able to enjoy ALBAIK’S unique taste as soon as they disembark.

“As we continue to move closer to our customers, we have now become neighbors with more of Madinah’s residents,” said Rami Abu Ghazaleh, chief executive officer of ALBAIK Food Systems. “The opening of this branch is a result of our desire to extend the growing popularity of the city’s three other branches by giving residents, pilgrims and visitors easy and convenient access to their favorite chicken and seafood meals.”

For 42 years, ALBAIK has been synonymous with quality food and distinguished service in the chicken and seafood catering field. In addition to providing the highest levels of quality to consumers in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, ALBAIK is one of the Kingdom’s corporations that pioneered educational, social and entertainment programs focused on enhancing the mental and creative skills of young Saudis.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/business/...utlet-madinah/

The only fast food chain in the world that I can recommend! Almost every visitor seems to fall in love with their chicken and shrimp.

http://www.albaik.com/en

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Baik

000-4407781881465986792668.jpg

I just don't know what to say. I walked those beautiful marbled floors, at night whilst I listened to nasheeds singing the praises of my Prophet(saws). I will never forget that experience.
I will return very soon. What a beautiful place, the city of eternal light, Medina.

It will be a joy of the world the day all the projects in Makkah and Madinah will be finished.:enjoy:

Last edited:
Two trains every hour between the holy cities
Friday 24 June 2016

MADINAH: Thirty-six trains would be running every day, two every hour between Makkah and Madinah, transporting on average 15,000 passengers.

Most parts of the multibillion high-speed Haramain railway line will be completed this year.

There are major stations in each of these cities including Jeddah, supported by bus stops and footpaths. The train station in Madinah contains world-class facilities.

Currently, tests are being conducted on the lines. The main train station is 9 km from the Prophet’s Mosque and 13 km from Madinah’s airport.

The main building includes a lounge for visitors, VIP lounge, mosque that can accommodate about 1,000 worshippers, center for Civil Defense, helipad, sidewalks for passengers waiting, and car park with a capacity of about 1,000 vehicles for short periods and of about 690 cars for long periods.

The main building has 19 elevators for travelers and staff, and a tunnel that links King Abdul Aziz Road and the station, in addition to elevators in the car parks and at the mosque.

It will have 12 electric escalators that link the ground floor, second floor and the third floor. It will also have a stairway inside the main building, parking lots, subway and a civil defense building.

Air conditioning systems are spread out in all the station buildings and facilities. All project facilities are covered with 417 surveillance cameras, in addition to a safety system.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/944236/saudi-arabia

Selfie snappers obstructing tawaf
Thursday 30 June 2016

MAKKAH: Pilgrims taking selfies and recording video clips were obstructing others performing the tawaf around the Kaaba, according to a report by an online publication on Wednesday.

This was particularly troublesome in Ramadan because of the large number of pilgrims circumambulating on the mataf in Makkah’s Grand Mosque, the report said.

Hasan Al-Ghamdi, a pilgrim, said some people cause a great deal of trouble by stopping during the tawaf to take images of themselves and their children. People bump into each other, which was particularly bad for the elderly and those with disabilities.

Abdullah Al-Saudah said he was performing tawaf when people stopped suddenly. “I thought somebody fell in the rush. After much effort, we discovered that some people performing Umrah were taking selfies near the Maqam Ibrahim.”

He said photography should be prohibited during the tawaf and saie, the walking between the hillocks of Safa and Marwa.

Naif Al-Hamd, a judge at Riyadh’s appeals court, said the Qur’an prohibits people from engaging in activities that divert their attention away from their devotions, as outlined in Surat Al-Zumar, verse 11. This applies to photography, he said.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/947071/saudi-arabia

Intensify efforts to ensure comfort of worshipers: King

Jun 29, 2016

Makkah — Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman has ordered that efforts should be intensified to provide more comfort and security to worshipers during the last 10 days of the holy month of Ramadan.

Chairing the weekly session of the Council of Ministers at Safa Palace here late Monday night, King Salman said that the Kingdom was proud and honored to serve the guests of Allah.

The King highlighted the expansion of the Two Holy Mosques and holy sites to provide the highest degree of comfort, tranquility, security and reassurance to all Muslims.

The Council of Ministers thanked the King for the great attention and care being given to the two holy cities to enable worshipers to perform their rituals in an atmosphere of security, peace and comfort, Minister of State, Cabinet member and acting Minister of Culture and Information Essam Sayeed said in a statement to the Saudi Press Agency following the Cabinet session.

The Cabinet lauded the depth of historical and strategic relations between the Kingdom and the US and the progress that these relations are currently witnessing in all fields.

It said that the talks that Deputy Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman, second deputy premier and minister of defense, had with President Barack Obama, a number of officials and executives of various companies will further enhance Saudi-US cooperation in the light of Vision 2030 and the National Transformation Program.

The Cabinet appreciated the remarks made by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon during his meeting with the Deputy Crown Prince in which he lauded the Kingdom’s assistance provided to displaced Syrians and developing countries and praised the leadership role played by the Kingdom in the region and the world and its strong support for the UN and its agencies.

The Cabinet approved a number of arrangements to help Saudis who are unable to pay their rent and required licensed real estate agents to register the contracts of all rented housing and commercial units electronically through the electronic network.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...rshipers-king/

Millions converge on Makkah for Night of Power

Jun 30, 2016

MAKKAH — Millions of Muslims from around the world as well as other parts of the Kingdom are converging on the Grand Mosque in Makkah to perform Umrah and take part in special prayers in the final phase of Ramadan, which is considered to include the holiest days of the fasting month.

The traffic heading to the holy city is getting intense day after day. All government departments have mobilized their human and material resources to welcome the mammoth crowd of worshippers and facilitate their stay in Makkah providing them with a spiritual atmosphere.

The pilgrims engage in special prayers seeking the Lailat Al-Qadr, or the Night of Power, when the first verses of the Holy Qur’an were revealed to the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him. According to the Qur’an, (worship on) the night is better in reward than (worship in) a thousand months.

Though there is no clear indication in the Islamic texts about the exact date, based on a saying of the Prophet scholars believe the Night of Power falls on one of the odd nights in the last 10 days of Ramadan.

“Whoever spends this night in prayer out of sincere faith and in the hope of reward from God will be forgiven all his previous sins,” the Prophet said in a Hadith reported by Bukhari, the most authentic book of traditions.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman and Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Naif have given instructions to government departments and public agencies to extend all-out efforts to make the stay of the guests of God in Makkah and Madinah comfortable.

Efforts have been made to provide the faithful with adequate accommodation, keep Makkah and its surrounding clean and tidy, ensure security and safety of pilgrims and control traffic to ensure the smooth flow of vehicles in the central area of the city.

“The Ramadan plan focuses on ensuring the smooth flow of pilgrims to and from the Grand Mosque,” said an official of the Presidency of the Two Holy Mosques, adding that there is good coordination between the presidency, Haram Security Force and the crowd management department.

“We provide a host of services to the guests of God,” the official said while urging pilgrims and worshippers not to enter the mosque while the faithful come out after prayers to avoid congestion and possible stampedes.

The mayoralty has intensified cleaning services throughout Makkah to keep the city and its environment clean by deploying a large number of cleaning workers. Its officers check shops selling foodstuffs as well as street vendors to make sure they comply with hygiene regulations.

The Health Affairs in Makkah on the other hand has set out a complete plan to protect pilgrims from contagious diseases. It has set up clinics inside the Grand Mosque to provide quick medical assistance and first-aid services to pilgrims who may fall sick.

Public security agencies have deployed adequate number of officers all over Makkah to ensure law and order, safeguard the security of pilgrims, control crowds and stop any negative practices. Traffic officers prevent vehicles from entering the central area of Makkah and divert them to huge parking areas outside the city. A shuttle service takes the worshippers from various parking lots to the vicinity of the Grand Mosque and back.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...h-night-power/

25,000 rugs in Grand Mosque

Jun 30, 2016

Some 25,000 rugs, each with a length of 3 to 4 meters, adorn the floors of the Grand Mosque and its surrounding plazas. Of the total, 21,000 rugs are actually laid down and 4,000 kept in reserve. If spread out in a straight line, the total length of the rugs could reach as many as 90 kilometers.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...-grand-mosque/

000-9213346031467145566108.jpg

13392844_1043495619070792_238263084_n.jpg

000-6388123221466944823858.jpg

000-9984462201466944828603.jpg

000-16567831466944834942.jpg

hashad13b.jpg

13576662_10154296744914153_4839198965538361366_o.jpg

000-4617301481466944758850.jpg

The Scent of Taif
Taif, Saudi Arabia, Asharq Al-Awsat – Al Taif al Ma’nous, or amiable Taif, as people prefer to call it, is a colorful city full of contradictions and is the bride of Saudi summer resorts. Its fertile lands are home to a variety of fruits, such as berries, grapes, apples and pomegranates, and flowers, adding to the freshness of the air. It is crowned by a warm sunshine that reveals the many myths and secrets of this legendary city lying over the Al Sarawat Mountains in western Saudi Arabia.

Famous for the unique scent of its roses and flowers, Taif remains in the memory of its visitors long after they have departed. It is said that whoever forgets to give his beloved a bottle of nectar from Taif does not know the meaning of true love or its secrets. No wedding or joyous occasion is complete without flowers from the resort town.

Obaid al Qureishi, who cultivates roses for a living, told Asharq Al Awsat the flowers of Taif are unparalleled; while Damascene roses are bigger and sometimes more beautiful, the flowers in Taif are distinguished by their strong scent. He also indicated that attempts by large farm owners to plant Damascene roses failed because they were not native to the region. “The secret lies in the [Taif] soil which is watered by rain and dew.”

The suburbs of Taif and its valleys, such as al Huda, al Shafa, al Ghadeerayn and Wadi Mahram, are celebrated for the cultivation of roses, to which farmers turned to because it brings in more revenue than the cultivation of vegetables and wheat. However, this year’s harvest suffered from frost and the production for 2006 is expected to be limited, thereby doubling the price of roses.

Farmers in this Saudi resort city rely on the ancient agricultural calendar and astrology. Sowing begins during the month of Ramadan and lasts for 75 days; farmers dig ridges in the soil where the saplings- carefully cut from roses- are placed and covered with fertilizers. They are watered according to a particular schedule and at certain times of the day and enjoy great care and attention. Harvest begins in April and lasts until the end of May. The height of rose bushes is carefully controlled and reaches a maximum of 1.5 meters. According to al Qureishi, this increases the ratio of roses per bush. On average, one bush will produce 250 roses every day. Picking takes place before sunrise, when roses are usually moist and aromatic. Roses are then sold by the thousand to distillation laboratories for $13 dollars. Mona al Utaybi, a teacher at a school for girls in al Hada, said that, during the harvest season, students race to offer their teachers bouquets of roses every morning. In her opinion, roses are affected by their surroundings. “Farmers with a pure heart and a good soul produce fresh aromatic flowers while those with evil intentions only produce shriveling flowers full of worms,” she said.

Um Ali, a Saudi woman aged 70, recalled the times when women and their daughters would go out to the field and pick roses in the early morning during harvest. “They worked in small groups, standing in horizontal lines while singing the praise of Taif’s roses and competing to cut the largest number of roses.” With the advent of technology and cutting machines, women are no longer seen in the fields and foreign laborers now collect the roses. The streets of Taif are full of vendors showcasing their latest roses and selling fruit to the thousands of visitors who flock to the city.

Rose production is dominated by five families, al Qadi, al Kamal, al Qureishi, al Ghuraybi and al Solhi. Together, they oversee most of the cultivation and laboratories in Taif.

Rose House laboratory, owned by the al Qadi family, is located in a large old building in the al Salamah neighborhood. It is one of the oldest and biggest in the city. Its name derives from the strong aroma that permeates its rooms and extends to the street. Every morning, during harvest, Mohammed Al-Qadi’s four sons, Hassan, Abdullah, Omar and Ibrahim, rise early to receive the caravans of farmers who come to sell their roses.

Abdullah al Qadi meets the farmers at the entrance of the labs prior to the counting and weighing process. Every one thousand roses are bundled together, weighed and placed in large containers made of palm tree leaves or plastic ribbons. Abdullah keeps one rose from each bundle as a record and notes every transaction in a small notebook. During harvest, the al Qadi labs can receive up to a million roses. Over the years, the family has established warm relations with the farmers who do not hesitate to ask for loans; these are usually deducted from the following season’s payments.

After the noon prayer, the roses are aired and spread over 150sq meters, forming a huge bed of roses. Omar and Ibrahim are responsible for the distillation process, which requires much attention and great care, as a small mistake could prove very costly. The labs include 96 copper distillation pots where the roses are boiled in order to release their essence. Pots have a maximum capacity of 20 thousand roses. Each is periodically coated with tin in order to prevent the oxidization of copper. According to Omar, roses from the al Shafa area are generally large compared to these from al Hada, the scent of which is more powerful.

Unlike Oud, which is imported to the Gulf from Burma and Cambodia, rose essence is extracted locally but loses potency with the passing of time, especially if exposed to light and heat. Omar’s advice was to remove the plastic covering from the bottle and then close it firmly because plastic interacts unfavorably with the essence thereby affecting its intensity. The al Qadi laboratories concentrate more on the production of rose water than essence and they are Saudi Arabia’s largest producers, exporting surplus product to Gulf countries.

Rose water has many uses, including in the baking of Arab pastries and as a flavoring to drinking water. There are two types of rose water: the first is stored in small 250ml bottles and costing $2.5 US dollars and the more expensive kind, which costs $9 US dollars, used for weddings and receptions across the Gulf. During celebrations, guests are sprinkled by rose water using a special ornate watering can. Women also use rose water to cleanse their faces and nourish their skin, sometimes adding it to body masks to give them a powerful rose smell. In Taif, rose water is believed to cure mild depression. Rose water and rose essence are also used to wash the Holy Kaaba twice a year, as a sign of the great care that befalls the most sacred of sacred Islamic objects.

Ibrahim al Qadi revealed how best to identify the authentic rose essence saying, “The authentic essence is known for its powerful unique aroma. It has a yellowish color, sometimes even slightly greenish. The greener it looks, the worse the quality becomes. The essence is not glutinous like oil and does not stain the skin or clothes when applied as perfume. Contrary to popular belief, the aroma does not last for very long as it is absorbed by the skin.”

“One small bottle of 11.7 grams of authentic nectar requires approximately forty thousand roses and is usually sold for roughly 1500 Saudi Riyals (400 US Dollars).” Al Qadi states that some sellers increase the prices intentionally so that the customer believes that he is purchasing high quality nectar. He adds that there are no degrees of quality in authentic Taif nectar; it is either good or bad. He says, “Good quality nectar is taken from around forty thousand flowers that have not been boiled more than twice as the more the flowers have been boiled the more affect this has on the quality of the nectar. Bad quality nectar is that which has been taken from less than forty thousand flowers that have been boiled several times.”

Taif is one of the oldest cities in the world. It is difficult to find a book on the Arabian Peninsula that does not mention this city. Taif neighbors the holy city of Mecca. Its heritage and natural and ancient monuments hold many stories for the generations to come.

Taif is home to famous valleys such as Wadi Al-Naml that was visited by King Solomon and the holy valley of Wadi Wej where the Prophet Mohammed prohibited any hunting or for anyone to cut down its trees or to threaten its wildlife. South of the city is Okaz market, one the most famous Arab markets. The city was also home to some of the Prophet’s companions such as Abdullah Ibn Abbas. In addition, Hajjaj Ibn Yusuf Thaqafi, a tyrannical leader of the Arabs had lived there. The city was of much importance to the Muslim Caliphs and it was believed that the first Ummayad Caliph Muawiyyah told the governor of Taif, Saeed Ibn Al Aas that he was blessed as he had “spent the summer in Taif, the winter in Mecca and spring in Jeddah.”

http://english.aawsat.com/2006/05/article55266695/the-scent-of-taif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta'if

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taif is a beautiful ancient Hijazi city located almost 2000 meters above sea level. Its agricultural products are fantastic and exported to many countries worldwide and it is especially famous for its flowers and rose water which is used for washing Kaaba.

Once KSA opens up for tourism for real and given the city's close proximity to Makkah, Madinah and Jeddah, it will become a major tourist hit alongside numerous other cities and areas of Hijaz and other provinces and historical regions of KSA. That would be a very good thing for the country and many locals who could work in the tourism sector.

@waz

Last edited:
3 million worshippers pray Taraweeh in two holy mosques

Jul 2, 2016

MAKKAH – Nearly 3 million worshippers, including foreign Umrah pilgrims and local visitors, performed Isha and Taraweeh prayers in the Grand Mosque in Makkah and the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah Friday night in a tranquil atmosphere, thanks to the extensive services provided by the government of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman

Various government agencies mobilized their full material and human potential to ensure the faithful preform their pilgrimage rites and other acts of worship in peace and comfort.

The worshippers from around the world, including different parts of the Kingdom, converged on Makkah to seek Allah’s forgiveness and mercy with the hope that this night, the 27th of Ramadan, is the Night of Power (Lailat Al-Qadr).

According to scholarly opinion, the Night of Power, which commemorates the first revelation of the Holy Qur’an to the Prophet Muhammad (peace upon him) in Makkah, falls on one of the odd nights in the last 10 days of Ramadan, most probably the 27th night.

The authorities provided all services to the worshippers, Umrah pilgrims and visitors with follow-up by Prince Khaled Al-Faisal, emir of Makkah Province and adviser to Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, who stressed that serving the worshippers and visitors to the Grand Mosque is a great honor for the Saudi people and government.

He further said everyone was working hard to provide the maximum comfort and facilities to the guests of God. He praised the noble services being provided to Umrah pilgrims, and said the pilgrims could benefit from the completion of the latest expansion of the Grand Mosque this Ramadan.

He said all departments carried out their tasks for the holy month, especially the last ten days, according to plan.

Nearly 2 million worshippers visited the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday night, while 750,000 people joined the special prayers at the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The General Presidency for the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques mobilized its efforts in opening the gates, carrying out maintenance works, cleaning and operation. It also made available copies of the Holy Qur’an everywhere in the mosque complex.

The Directorate of Health Affairs in Makkah Province operated two health centers in the Grand Mosque, in addition to Ajyad Emergency Hospital, which is only a few meters away from the mosque.

Over 12,000 cleaners were deployed in the Grand Mosque and its courtyards. Sixty points were allocated for collecting garbage.

Police intensified security patrols on the streets of Makkah to ensure a smooth flow of traffic and avoid any untoward incidents.

Saudi Public Transport Company (SAPTCO) made sure that there were enough buses to carry the Umrah pilgrims and worshippers to and from the Grand Mosque.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/3-million-worshippers-pray-taraweeh-two-holy-mosques/

CmTa_8GW8AQW7Mx.jpg:large

CmTa_75WIAEcvJZ.jpg:large

6e241115-1d1b-4a2a-ba68-95a938dad917.jpg

003ee5fd-484d-429d-af16-9dbdc4db4720.jpg

8ce5a492-2463-4521-af76-1cdad774478f.jpg

c3320b02-ec5c-40cf-8d21-b7b40b59626f.jpg

8f440828-2ffe-4477-8b66-993d8cef83b5.jpg

9927cf11-6cec-4025-a3bb-973383f08d1d.jpg

Last edited:
Pilgrims spent lavishly on gifts, clothes for children

pilgrims-640x411.jpg

Garment shops in the holy city did a roaring business this Umrah season with an estimated business of SR200 million in Ramadan alone.​

Jul 13, 2016

MAKKAH — Garment shops in the holy city did a roaring business this Umrah season with an estimated business of SR200 million in Ramadan alone.

A record number of pilgrims and visitors to the Grand Mosque thronged the city this year despite soaring temperatures to get peace and tranquility of mind by praying and performing Umrah.

The estimated SR200 million business was shared by approximately 400 outlets,

Mohammed Awad Al-Salmi, a shop owner, said. He added that clothes for children were the most sold products. Shops dealing with women clothes and traditional and popular garments benefited a lot from the flourishing business in the central area during the holy month.

“Most of the goods are imported from China, Taiwan, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Malaysia and Indonesia, Al-Salmi said. The estimated profits range between 40 to 60 percent, he said.

Mahmoud Tantawi, an Egyptian pilgrim, said: “For pilgrim it is a traditional habit to buy gifts for family members and relatives during Haj and Umrah trips for decades. Because I am here today for Umrah, I should buy gifts for all those who bought gifts for me before. I am going to buy around 30 pieces of clothes for both genders of different ages,” he said.

The most sought after goods were clothes for children costing somewhere between SR5 to SR35 depending upon the quality and the exporting country.

Clothes for small kids and newborns were a bit costlier and were being sold for SR50 to SR70.

Marsleen Subairi, an Indonesian pilgrim on his fifth visit to the Kingdom, said he had allocated SR1,000 to SR1400 to buy gifts for his relatives and grandchildren.

Subairi said he usually buys the traditional Arabic thob, ghotra and golden headdress.

He added that pilgrims also buy various beauty products for women including henna and eyeliners.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-ara...thes-children/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom