What's new

Maiden engine relight test of Tejas held

Damn it at last there is some bright hopes for serial production of this aircraft to begin

Good thing too, an important part of safety verification. Because if it goes wrong or does not go well, these results are possible.

The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : Saras pilots were attempting an engine relight

Generally these tests are carried out earlier in the program before IOC but the parameters for IOC depends from nation to nation.

I am still wondering how our defense minister believes that IOC can be granted before TACDE (Tactics and Air Combat Development Establishment) is done with the air-craft? Its only after that IOC is given and operational conversion started, no?

I am still wondering how our defense minister believes that IOC can be granted before TACDE (Tactics and Air Combat Development Establishment) is done with the air-craft? Its only after that IOC is given and operational conversion started, no?

I thought it was IOC befor TACDE and FOC after.
I don't think IAF would dilute any important procedures for Tejas.

I thought it was IOC befor TACDE and FOC after.
I don't think IAF would dilute any important procedures for Tejas.

The IAF won't but our Honorable RM is prone to give statements that do not match facts. Lets see.

Depends on criteria put forward for the IOC, the delayed gestation period for the program may warrant an earlier IOC to push the aircraft through and allow operational testing and conversion course to start while smoothing out any leftover nicks in the program.

Again, IOC's are different for aircraft, squadron, weapons etc. So the aircraft may be combat ready but you are talking about 6-8 of them being able to go to war with the test group pilots but these gauges differ.
for eg.

The Initial Operational Capability (IOC) is determined by the service, based on both the program's performance and how the service defines IOC. For the Marine Corps F-35B, IOC is defined as a squadron of ten aircraft able to execute the full range of TACAIR directed mission sets and to deploy on F-35B-compatible ships and austere expeditionary sites.

OR

The USAF's criteria for IOC consists of being able to stand up the first operational F-35A squadron equipped with 12 to 24 aircraft and with enough trained personnel "to conduct basic close air support, interdiction, and limited suppression and destruction of enemy air defence operations in a contested environment".

Compared to that, is the Tejas in the same position vis-a-vis squadron strength and numbers? I believe not.
But it depends on what criteria the IAF has set for IOC. As of now, the USAF's plans for declaring IOC on F-35s in 2016 is being questioned as the aircraft will not meet those standards and the USAF may revise those to rush IOC.

If that is true, here's to you:

15885657-close-up-of-champagne-explosion.jpg

Diwali+Recipes.JPG

Also Diwali is just round the corner!!

congrats to India for finally complete this long awaited program. This program in 1983, isn't it?

I'm not giving credit until I see the plane in service with the Indian airforce. All this 'we finished this and that' are the same nonsense we heard over the last 30 years.

They say it will be in service at this date and that date but we all know India is world famous for its delays so let's wait for the actual day it's inducted into the airforce and we SEE 100% proof that its in operation.

Until then, lets not get too ahead of ourselves shall we.

I'm not giving credit until I see the plane in service with the Indian airforce. All this 'we finished this and that' are the same nonsense we heard over the last 30 years.

They say it will be in service at this date and that date but we all know India is world famous for its delays so let's wait for the actual day it's inducted into the airforce and we SEE 100% proof that its in operation.

But you have to give India credit for finishing this project. In the US, and I'm certain in your country China as well, if a project is delayed this long, this project would have been cancelled a long time ago and all the funding removed. But India had the patience to go through with this project show their persistence.

tell me why indian airforce should pay for such highly inefficiently 2nd generation rubbish that is already out of date for 2 decades? look at Chinese air forces, do they have any comparable rubbish? No, they don't.

let's be honest: every single purchase of LCA by the indian air forces is a contribution to the Chinese defence - when your enemies are burning cash on rubbish, how good is that?

But you have to give India credit for finishing this project. In the US, and I'm certain in your country China as well, if a project is delayed this long, this project would have been cancelled a long time ago and all the funding removed. But India had the patience to go through with this project show their persistence.

we have dozens of similar projects cancelled, with the team and funding permanently withdrawn. same for a lot of US project. because we share some common ground: US/China are honest nations.

the same can not be said for india.

look at LCA, who designed the air frame for india? France. who built the engines? Americans! how screwed the project? indians!

tell me why indian airforce should pay for such highly inefficiently 2nd generation rubbish that is already out of date for 2 decades? look at Chinese air forces, do they have any comparable rubbish? No, they don't.

let's be honest: every single purchase of LCA by the indian air forces is a contribution to the Chinese defence - when your enemies are burning cash on rubbish, how good is that?

Well atleast we don't shove down an underperfoming equipment into the users throat because of no access to international market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom