What's new

Lt.Gen (R) Nasir Khan Janjua Pakistan's new NSA?

Making an Ex-Lt general Adviser on national security....is he the right man for the job?

• Previous Adviser was doing a fine job.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

massattack

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: The government is about to appoint a former general as the new national security adviser, officials said on Sunday.

Lieutenant General Naseer Khan Janjua, who retired from the military this week, will be appointed national security adviser soon and will accompany Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on his trip to the United States next week, one military official and two civilians said.

The post is currently held by Sartaj Aziz, who also holds the portfolio for foreign affairs.

Read: Top civil-military huddle ‘finalises agenda’ of India dialogue

“The army chief feels Sartaj Sahib’s attention is divided,” a military source said. “So it has been decided that General Janjua will be appointed the national security adviser and Sartaj Aziz can give his full attention to the foreign office.”

“This is not about the PM conceding to the army chief or the army being a bully, not at all. This is about both sides deciding together.”

A military spokesperson declined to comment.

PM Nawaz swept into office in 2013 vowing to improve relations between Pakistan and India.

“The army had advised the PM against engaging Modi but he (Nawaz) had insisted that he would pursue peace talks,” the official said. “He is very disappointed by Modi’s response and he has realised that perhaps the advice he got then was correct.”

Read: Indian aggression: AJK PM leads rally against LoC firing

A senior minister in premier’s cabinet said the army chief had pushed Janjua’s appointment “for many months,” although Nawaz had preferred to keep his own man, Aziz.

“Now the army chief has convinced the prime minister that the military and the government must … work together,” the minister said.

Janjua’s appointment follows cooling relations between Pakistan and India, who were due to hold talks in August but canceled after India said it wanted to limit the scope of the talks to terrorism and Pakistan insisted on more wide-ranging discussions.

“General Janjua will go to Afghanistan for talks. He will go to the US And yes, when Pakistan-India (national security advisor) level talks resume, it will be General Janjua at the table,” the military official said.

Two senior government officials said that Janjua was respected for his previous posting in Balochistan.

Before that, Janjua was president of the National Defense University, the military’s higher education institute and premier think-tank on national security matters.

He also worked on ‘Azm-e-Nau,’ a military preparedness exercise that had a particular focus on India.

Ex-general Naseer Khan Janjua to be appointed new national security adviser - The Express Tribune

War is too important to be left to the generals - Famously said by the French politician and former prime minister Georges Clemenceau

War is too important to be left to the generals - Famously said by the French politician and former prime minister Georges Clemenceau
Before generalizing and making sweeping statement, look at the person what he achieved in Baluchistan. The problem I have with Pakistanis they do not bother to analyze the situation in depth. The man is more than a general.

And National security is far too important to be left to corrupt politicians, who will sell their mothers if right price is offered.... famously said by ..... well me and 90% people of Pakistan.

So before giving statements that makes you sound like an idiot first read what the said person has achieved in his past, and what he is capable of, and what more he can do for the country.

Just so you know ... Those who serve in the Army ... are not Aliens ... they are More and better Pakistani than you are.

Before generalizing and making sweeping statement, look at the person what he achieved in Baluchistan. The problem I have with Pakistanis they do not bother to analyze the situation in depth. The man is more than a general.

Never heard anyone say that before.

And National security is far too important to be left to corrupt politicians, who will sell their mothers if right price is offered.... famously said by ..... well me and 90% people of Pakistan.

So before giving statements that makes you sound like an idiot first read what the said person has achieved in his past, and what he is capable of, and what more he can do for the country.

Just so you know ... Those who serve in the Army ... are not Aliens ... they are More and better Pakistani than you are.

What a person achieves in uniform is different. Soldiers control a highly disciplined force with a very focused mindset. Many of them face problems when they enter the real world.

I do know about those who serve the army. They use stratagem more than strategy.

To me the most important thing is that they should not take over the country again. Appointing a general as National Security Advisor makes that scenario more possible - so I oppose it.

Never heard anyone say that before.

What a person achieves in uniform is different. Soldiers control a highly disciplined force with a very focused mindset. Many of them face problems when they enter the real world.

I do know about those who serve the army. They use stratagem more than strategy.

To me the most important thing is that they should not take over the country again. Appointing a general as National Security Advisor makes that scenario more possible - so I oppose it.
It is our fears but if a person has shown more than enough performance so do not fear. As long as the politicians are corrupt and not well read, this may happen again as they do not have the moral authority. Vote for honest educated persons and no coup will ever happen.

French mostly left their wars to the neighbors to fight

It is our fears but if a person has shown more than enough performance so do not fear. As long as the politicians are corrupt and not well read, this may happen again as they do not have the moral authority. Vote for honest educated persons and no coup will ever happen.

Coup will happen when 111 is ordered to make it happen. Sword still hangs on democracy.

Coup will happen when 111 is ordered to make it happen. Sword still hangs on democracy.
If we cannot elect honest educated politicians an you fear for democracy, then please pray 48 hours a day for not only democracy but actually for Pakistan. May be the beloved democracy will be saved, never mind Pakistan you can practice democracy in District level country. I have a question we run our homes in Pakistan in a dictatorial manner and we want democracy to prosper through uneducated corrupt politicians? We plant cactus, hope we will have mango tree see cactus growing still hope we will get some berries? Are not we optimists or...... plain....

If we cannot elect honest educated politicians an you fear for democracy, then please pray 48 hours a day for not only democracy but actually for Pakistan. May be the beloved democracy will be saved, never mind Pakistan you can practice democracy in District level country. I have a question we run our homes in Pakistan in a dictatorial manner and we want democracy to prosper through uneducated corrupt politicians? We plant cactus, hope we will have mango tree see cactus growing still hope we will get some berries? Are not we optimists or...... plain....

Throughout the world politicians are selected on the basis of popularity. Do you think Trump is the most honest person in USA. Democracy has its problem - still much better than dictatorship.

Throughout the world politicians are selected on the basis of popularity. Do you think Trump is the most honest person in USA. Democracy has its problem - still much better than dictatorship.
Your perception and I do not share it with same enthusiasm.
US has a system in place with checks and balances and it falters here and there so please do not compare Pakistani democracy with US system. No answer about how we run our homes, families, political parties, offices, organizations in Pakistan? Purely dictatorially. Our elected members, save a few, are the biggest corrupt dictators and you want democracy to flourish? How so?

What happened to Imran Khan? Why Amitab Bachan and Dilip Kumar never became Indian ministers?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom