What's new

Loongson: China’s answer to Intel/AMD

China: We have a lot of warships, Laos why you don't have one? You are so backward.
Laos: We don't have one because we don't need, we have no sea.

It feel really shame for China to continue using foreigner made microprocessors. Am I right?

Lenovo_LePhone_K800_with_Intel_Inside-front.jpg
well, compared to vietcongs, your shame is eternal and dwarfs any shames that others have```:D

I don't tell you my thinking, I gave you the true fact.

I searched for those quotes. You think you have me fooled? It is a PROPOSAL.

http://prod.semi.org/sites/semi.org/files/docs/03 - Pham Ba Tuan - CNS - FINAL.pdf

The tape-outs you were talking about? Made by eSilicon, a company based in San Jose. In case you don't know, San Jose is not how you spell Saigon. Power management IC is still cheap embedded hardware that can't compare to SoCs, image detectors, memory, CPUs or RF in complexity or cost.

search for Intel Haswell Vietnam
i guess that the vietcong monkey king told you that Intel Haswell Vietnam is designing and making chips, yes?

lol, they really treat you like fools, or you just have a reading problem``? I'd say both

i guess that the vietcong monkey king told you that Intel Haswell Vietnam is designing and making chips, yes?

lol, they really treat you like fools, or you just have a reading problem``? I'd say both

why you don't post yourself what Intel said ?

Intel's factory in Vietnam will produce 80 percent of its Haswell CPUs used in computers globally by July 2015, according to an Intel Products Vietnam official

Last edited:
why you don't post yourself what Intel said ?

Intel's factory in Vietnam will produce 80 percent of its Haswell CPUs used in computers globally by July 2015, according to an Intel Products Vietnam official

It will produce, as in, the chips will be packaged in Vietnam. Don't think you know anything about semiconductors.

You read about the chipsets for laptop and mobilephone testing and packaging facility only.

Intel Products Vietnam was initially designed to manufacture chipsets for laptops and mobile devices. It later launched Atom SoC (System on a Chip) in late 2013 and now CPU Haswell.
-----------------------

Intel
showcased its first CPU made in Vietnam on Tuesday. It is a 4th generation Haswell part and it is just one of many Haswell chips coming out of Vietnam.

Intel is planning to produce as much as 80 percent of all Haswell parts in Vietnam. The shift happens gradually and Vietnam should hit the 80 percent mark year next year, as the sun slowly sets on Haswell.

Intel Product Vietnam exec Sherry Boger showed off the first Haswell made in Vietnam and told reporters that the Vietnam fab has been manufacturing them for more than two months. Intel built its first Vietnam plant in 2006 and in 2010 its biggest fab to date came on line in the South Asian country.

Intel imported equipment and engineers from Malaysia to speed up the transition. The company is planning to import and install even more equipment and to ramp up CPU production in Vietnam, reports

@BoQ77
Friend. You are in auto industry. so let me explain a little bit.
The most important thing for a country is that

It can produce computers ranging from Super-Computer, Graphic Processing Cards (Or other form of parallel processing), to desktop to mobile phone on its own.

In the case of heavy sanction by US, an independent country must be able to manufacture these by her own, and even improve them under Moore's law. (Meaning that your GPU/CPU must be twice as fast within each 2 years)

Therefore, just hosting Intel factory does not give a country an edge during warfare. What you need is not only CPU but the chipsets, and mainboard and storages, ranging from super computer to mobile phone.

Therefore, what you need is the whole ecosystem of computer. From R&D Universities to design houses, down to prototyping labs and then foundary, assemble factories finally markets. You need mainboard manufacturers, Chip set designers, Foundries, and advertisement.

You need all of them in order to be independent.

Intel factories, no matter where it is located, is in U.S. ecosystem. They use all material, design, idea, decision people from U.S. They just want to use your workers, and to exempt U.S tax. Thats why they are in ASEAN countries. According to my list on ecosystem, US. just share with Taiwan foundry and the assemble factory on her ecosystem.

Asus mainboard is just assemble factory for Chipset imported from US, for example

Last edited:
You read about the chipsets for laptop and mobilephone testing and packaging facility only.

-----------------------

Intel
showcased its first CPU made in Vietnam on Tuesday. It is a 4th generation Haswell part and it is just one of many Haswell chips coming out of Vietnam.

Intel is planning to produce as much as 80 percent of all Haswell parts in Vietnam. The shift happens gradually and Vietnam should hit the 80 percent mark year next year, as the sun slowly sets on Haswell.

Intel Product Vietnam exec Sherry Boger showed off the first Haswell made in Vietnam and told reporters that the Vietnam fab has been manufacturing them for more than two months. Intel built its first Vietnam plant in 2006 and in 2010 its biggest fab to date came on line in the South Asian country.

Intel imported equipment and engineers from Malaysia to speed up the transition. The company is planning to import and install even more equipment and to ramp up CPU production in Vietnam, reports

What a coincidence that the packaging facility also opened in 2010. Maybe its a poor choice of words from non-experts that used "fab" to mean "anywhere that is involved in some step of chip manufacture". Note how they didn't use the much less ambiguous word "foundry".

You are right, Somsak.
I just bring out the real fact, I don't argue about the need of domestic production for essential things.
Someone jumped up and down hearing Intel made in Vietnam their Haswell processor. They keep argueing that is not made in Vietnam.
Intel themselves could decide whether they build testing only and/or manufacturing plant anywhere worldwide. It not depend on China like/dislike.
Once what you want are 14/22nm processors for PC/laptop, it comes to the fact that there's only US-based and Israel-based plant could fabricate.

I just start to say that China may have to import Intel Haswell from Vietnam next year. post#41

I just showed the statement of Intel that they called that is "made in Vietnam". I never said that's wholly obtained product in Vietnam.

As you see, they continue to say bad about testing and packaging facility of ...... Intel.

@BoQ77
Friend. You are in auto industry. so let me explain a little bit.
The most important thing for a country is

It can produce computers ranging from Super-Computer, Graphic Processing Cards (Or other form of parallel processing), to desktop to mobile phone on its own.

In the case of heavy sanction by US, an independent country must be able to manufacture these by her own, and even improve them under Moore's law. (Meaning that your GPU/CPU must be twice as fast within each 2 years)

Therefore, just hosting Intel factory does not give a country an edge during warfare. What you need is not only CPU but the chipsets, and mainboard and storages, ranging from super computer to mobile phone.

Therefore, what you need is the whole ecosystem of computer. From R&D Universities to design houses, down to prototyping labs and then foundary, assemble factories finally markets. You need mainboard manufacturers, Chip set designers, Foundries, and advertisement.

You need all of them in order to be independent.

Intel factories, no matter where it is located, is in U.S. ecosystem. They use all material, design, idea, decision people from U.S. They just want to use your workers, and to exempt U.S tax. Thats why they are in ASEAN countries. According to my list on ecosystem, US. just share with Taiwan foundry and the assemble factory on her ecosystem.

Asus mainboard is just assemble factory for Chipset imported from US, for example

Last edited:
Like this

You gave me a bunch of garbage. The Intel chips you claimed were made in Vietnam were assembled and packaged in Vietnam, not made in Vietnam, k? You are trying to tell a researcher in semiconductor materials about semiconductors.

Intel opens $1 billion chip factory in Vietnam | Computerworld

Read the whole article; it is humbling to you.

80% of global production of Intel’s latest CPU made in Vietnam
Posted by AmCham Vietnam In FDI Foreign Direct Investment, Information & Communications Technologies, News, The Latest News & Events
Sherry-Boger-Le-Manh-Ha-300x203.jpg
by Aug 2015.The 4th generation ‘Haswell’ CPUs were made at Intel’s SHTP factory over the course of two months. The company has imported 71 pieces of equipment from factories in Malaysia and Costa Rica and sent 105 Vietnamese engineers to their Malaysian factory for training. It plans to import 159 more devices to ramp up CPU production in the near future.
Intel Products Vietnam’s factory opened in 2006 and began assembling and testing semiconductor components in 2010. It achieved over US$1.8 billion in exports last year. As of June, the factory has provided more than 1,000 jobs and attracted 80 component providers, including Vietnamese ones. Intel began production in Vietnam in June 2010 with chipsets for laptops and mobile devices. It later launched Atom SoC (System on a Chip) in late 2013.

Intel-Pentium-Haswell-Chip-3-300x287.jpg
The debut of Intel’s first CPU product proves that Vietnam in general and Ho Chi Minh City in particular is an attractive destination for the world’s hi-tech companies, said Vice Chairman of the municipal People’s Committee Le Manh Ha.

The abilities of the Vietnamese employees to adapt Intel technologies are great and meet the expectations of the chipmaker.

This could be proven by the chip production of the Intel Products Vietnam plant, located at the Saigon Hi-Tech Park (SHTP) in District 9, over the years. The error rate of the made-in-Vietnam chips is low and no customer has ever asked to return the products because they were defective, according to the CEO.

Intel Products Vietnam has more than 1,000 local employees and it took them only two months to be certificated to produce the Haswell processors, which the CEO said is an unexpected success for such a new, hard-to-make product. The Vietnamese plant is making two of Intel’s flagship products, the SOC (system on a chip), used for tablets and smartphones, and the Haswell CPU, four years after the chip-making titan began its operations at the SHTP in 2010.

It took the Intel factory in China’s Chengdu 15 years, and one in Malaysia 40 years, to reach a similar milestone.

The localization rate of the Vietnamese plant is “not really high,” with only a few local enterprises qualified to be its equipment and parts suppliers, but Intel always welcomes Vietnamese suppliers to join its production as it would save money and time because the chipmaker currently has to have its machinery repaired overseas.

Intel targets an 80 percent localization rate in Vietnam, but it can only be achieved if the local suppliers improve themselves to meet the high technology standards of the chipmaker. In 2010 only three Vietnamese firms could supply parts for the Intel plant, and the figure has risen to 16 after four years.

Intel has made continuous efforts improve education and skills for staffs and engineers throughout Vietnam. “We have also made a great investment in developing the sustainable environment. For example, a solar system of Intel Vietnam has provided 30% the electric power for this building. In addition, 100% industrial waste water have been processed to irrigate plants.”

Intel’s contributions to HCM City development hailed

Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh City Party Committee Le Thanh Hai has said that Intel Products Vietnam Co. Ltd’s effective investment has greatly contributed to the city’s socio-economic development, especially in training high-quality human resources.

Read more …

Intel to make Vietnam its CPU hub in 2015, Jul 30, 2014

Intel launches “Made-in-Vietnam” CPU, Jul 30, 2014

80% lượng CPU của Intel trên toàn cầu sẽ sản xuất tại Việt Nam, Jul 30, 2014

80% of Intel’s 4th generation CPUs will be made by Intel Vietnam by 2015, Jul 30, 2014

Intel Vietnam will produce most of Intel’s global CPUs, Jul 31, 2014

Published: Aug 4, 2014. Updated: Aug 11, 2014.

Last edited:
"Intel Products Vietnam’s factory opened in 2006 and began assembling and testing semiconductor components in 2010"

Read that line, didn't need to read anymore. You proved my point for me, thanks for posting that article.

In case you don't know why real semiconductor professionals care about what the actual step of semiconductor manufacture is, it is simple:

you cannot assemble and test what you don't have. If Intel did not import their chips to Vietnam, there'd be nothing for you to assemble or test. But where are those chips originally made? Maybe in Dalian. And even if not, so what? Its just Intel. Why do you care so much about a single company? Is it because you have no companies of your own? You show great pride that a foreign corporation decides to place a tiny packaging step in your country, just because that last step lets you put a "made in Vietnam" label on the product. Meanwhile, we aren't satisfied with even having our own chip designs and semiconductor foundries.

I'm not jumping up and down, I'm educating you in an important topic, semiconductors, for free.

Last edited:
"Intel Products Vietnam’s factory opened in 2006 and began assembling and testing semiconductor components in 2010"

Read that line, didn't need to read anymore. You proved my point for me, thanks for posting that article.

What do you want to prove?

TSMC will make it. SMIC is still catching up.

By the way, how is Vietnam's semiconductor industry?

I follow up this. Chinese even claimed Kirin made by TSMC in Taiwan as their Made in China.

We should come to a term named Certificate of Origin.
I'm sure Intel Haswell come with Made in Vietnam Certificate of Origin. And Kirin come with Made in Taiwan.

Back
Top Bottom