What's new

Loongson: China’s answer to Intel/AMD

Hi guys lets come back to the topic.

When will Loongson be able to catch up on benchmark performance? Nobody is going to buy slow CPU.

edited, thanks for agreeing me the facts`lol

everyone has their right to express their own opinion. you're welcome.

When will Loongson be able to catch up on benchmark performance? Nobody is going to buy slow CPU.

yes, and how they improved in next gen, after next gen... how long between them....

Clock rates are not the sole determinant of processor speed and clock rates are also not the only determinant of whether a CPU is used or not, especially in parallel computing.

Xeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check the 5300 clovertown processors made from 2006 to present; they still have 1.6 GHz clock speeds. Is it because Intel can't make them better? No, some applications demand slower clock speeds.

The slower clock rate for Loongson is because its architecture is based on low power consumption, reduced instructions and parallelism. Its not designed for personal computing but rather for servers and supercomputers.

Clock rates are not the sole determinant of processor speed and clock rates are also not the only determinant of whether a CPU is used or not, especially in parallel computing.

Xeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check the 5300 clovertown processors made from 2006 to present; they still have 1.6 GHz clock speeds. Is it because Intel can't make them better? No, some applications demand slower clock speeds.

The slower clock rate for Loongson is because its architecture is based on low power consumption, reduced instructions and parallelism. Its not designed for personal computing but rather for servers and supercomputers.

But normally programs are not writing with parallel programming in mind. Isn't it? Does this mean that most program which does not write with parallel programming will be slow?
Currently parallel programming on multi core are using MPI library from Intel. Because your Loongson is based on MIPS I guess the Intel MPI lib won't work. Loongson company must release a special MPI library for Loongson CPU. Highly likely that nobody is going to do addition work by supporting Loongson MPI libary given small user base.

Is this correct? If so, how would u solve that?

But normally programs are not writing with parallel programming in mind. Isn't it? Does this mean that most program which does not write with parallel programming will be slow?
Currently parallel programming on multi core are using MPI library from Intel. Because your Loongson is based on MIPS I guess the Intel MPI lib won't work. Loongson company must release a special MPI library for Loongson CPU. Highly likely that nobody is going to do addition work by supporting Loongson MPI libary given small user base.

Is this correct? If so, how would u solve that?

I have no idea. My expertise is on the energy/materials side of semiconductors. I only know a little about the architecture and software side. I read about those for fun and know basics, but I'm no expert.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom