Libya's Khalifa Haftar orders forces to attack Turkish ships, interests

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Libya's Khalifa Haftar orders forces to attack Turkish ships, interests

AFP

29 June 2019

Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar has ordered his forces to attack Turkish ships and interests in the country, his spokesman said on Friday, accusing Turkey of backing his rivals in Libya's conflict.

"Orders have been given to the air force to target Turkish ships and boats in Libyan territorial waters," said General Ahmad al-Mesmari, adding that "Turkish strategic sites, companies and projects belonging to the Turkish state (in Libya) are considered legitimate targets by the armed forces".

Haftar's self-styled Libyan National Army, which holds eastern Libya and much of the country's south, launched an offensive to take the capital in early April.

Libya has been mired in chaos since a NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011, with a multitude of militias vying for control of the oil-rich country.

Haftar, a retired general who had taken part in the revolt against Kadhafi, unleashed an offensive in May 2014 to purge Libya of Islamists he branded "terrorists".

Mesmari added "all Turkish nationals on Libyan territory will be arrested" and "all flights to and from Turkey will be banned".

He did not explain how the flight ban could apply to areas not under Haftar's control.

The spokesman accused Turkey of helping Haftar's rivals - the internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) - seize the town of Gharyan, around 100 kilometres (around 60 miles) southwest of Tripoli.

Haftar on Wednesday lost control of the city he had seized on April 2 and made his centre of operations.

Both sides accuse each other of using foreign mercenaries and receiving military support from foreign powers.

Haftar has the backing of the United Arab Emirates and Egypt and accuses Turkey and Qatar of supporting the GNA.

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/...ers-forces-to-attack-turkish-ships-interests/

Turkey and Qatar need to do more drastic move to bring peace in Libya. Libya should be under GNA as soon as possible. Haftar is just a war lord who will become another Gaddafy if he is successful to take full control of Libya. On the other hand GNA is more democratic.

Libya Ulusal Ordusunun dun Libya hava sahasina girecek tum Turk ucar unsurlarini vurma tehdidinin sebeplerinden biri de 18 Haziran’da kendilerine verildigi goruntulenen Pantsir-S1 kisa-orta menzilli HSS’leridir. Goruntulenen kamyon modeli sadece BAE ordusunda mevcuttur.

D-OxWebWkAEHY0L.jpg

D-OxWeLX4AAHg2V.jpg

D-OxWeMXYAEGqUu.jpg

UAE supplied this system to Hafter forces who are fighting sgaing the UN backe d

Turkey and Qatar need to do more drastic move to bring peace in Libya. Libya should be under GNA as soon as possible. Haftar is just a war lord who will become another Gaddafy if he is successful to take full control of Libya. On the other hand GNA is more democratic.

I am thinking maybe GNA is just a bargain chip to counter balance LNA. GNA is easier to be manipulated due to their weak position currently.

If Haftar become another Gaddafy, he will seek Russia, China, Turkey, UAE, Egypt and western countries' support for his own interest and stability. If Haftar can consolidate his political and military base, he may be able to end the civil war. And the oil companies are eager to have a share of the pie.

I think Haftar has more leverage than GNA on negotiation with US and Europeans.

I am thinking maybe GNA is just a bargain chip to counter balance LNA. GNA is easier to be manipulated due to their weak position currently.

If Haftar become another Gaddafy, he will seek Russia, China, Turkey, UAE, Egypt and western countries' support for his own interest and stability. If Haftar can consolidate his political and military base, he may be able to end the civil war. And the oil companies are eager to have a share of the pie.

I think Haftar has more leverage than GNA on negotiation with US and Europeans.

Haftar may unite Gaddafy and bring peace to the nation but the peace he will bring will just a temporary one. The weakness of having a strong person on a country is when the succession time must come due to the leader being old or death. There is no clear succession system in place in this kind of government. Thus, this type of government is really fragile and not ideal and modern. And dont forget that Libyan people also want to have freedom and democracy, having another Gaddafy will be a betrayal of libyan revolution movement some years ago that has toppled Gaddafy.

GNA is the only faction in Libya that has legitimacy and backed by UN. I dont think Europeans prefer Haftar since Haftar is just another warlord who has anti democracy agenda. On the other hand, GNA must learn from the mistake of other Arab revolutionary movement and must set up a true democratic government in their controlled area. It will further strengthen their credibility.

GNA has also proven to be able to expel back Haftar forces recently. I think if Turkey and Qatar back GNA in full force, it can unite Libya and bring peace and stability to Libya. The situation in Libya is also important for all the Arab nations fate. If democracy prevail in Libya and bring stability there, it will add another success story of Arab Spring after Tunisia that in the end will lead to more democratization of Arab nations.

Last edited:
Faking pathetic army of gulfies, they have airforce backed and still lose it:-),if they attack should play in the field.
Here we see UAE supporting proxy forces in Libya....but thats "ok" i guess.....but those people who ignore this will go ahead and criticize other ME country about doing the same thing - supporting regional proxies. They only get mad because their proxy lost. smh

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom