What's new

Karnataka corner!

In the link you posted, under the section countries the language is spoken, it says United ArabEmirates for Kannada and not for Malayalam.

Wut? How the hell is that possible? Malayalam not spoken in Middle East? :blink:

Did you notice the numbers? they look fudged up too. Kannada has 60 million total speakers and yet the world % is 0.8, while Kerala has 35 million total speakers and still has a world % of 1.0....

Yup, I later realised that, the comparison is incorrect :tsk:

nanna-yenna,namma-yangala.same in modern Tamil.enna and engala.looks like old Kannada is a dialect of tamil.

There were similarities between old kannada and Tamil however, that doesn't prove that, it was a dialect of Tamil. It could be other way around as well ;)

nanna-yenna,namma-yangala.same in modern Tamil.enna and engala.looks like old Kannada is a dialect of tamil.

That's because Kannada and Tamil evolved in parallel from Proto-Tamil-Kannada. While Tamil retains most aspects grammer, pronunciation and vocabulary with Old Tamil, Kannada has evolved with significant modifications in the said parameters from old kannada.

@Ravi Nair ,

Are there any similarities between Malayalam and Tamil scripts, Just like Kannada and Telugu scripts ?

Those who know how to read kannada can also read Telugu up to considerable extent, is this similarity true in case of Malayalam and Tamil ?

BTW, how one would distinguish between Malayalam and Tamil scripts ?

@Ravi Nair ,

Are there any similarities between Malayalam and Tamil scripts, Just like Kannada and Telugu scripts ?

Those who know how to read kannada can also read Telugu up to considerable extent, is this similarity true in case of Malayalam and Tamil ?

I cannot read a single word of Tamil bro. Could wish I could help you out.

I can speak somewhat. And listen and understand. But not read.

Malayalam

3mal_alpha.gif

Tamil

tamil.png

Cannot understand a word of it.

@Ravi Nair ,

Kannada has evolved from Kadamba script, Telugu from Bhattiprolu script, while Malayalam and Tamil have evolved from Grantha script. However, all their parent scripts trace their evolution from the Brahmi script(used in Ashoka's edicts).

@Ravi Nair To a casual observer though, many letters between Tamil and Malayalam will look similar. Ja, Ka, Sa - look very similar. And I didn't know Malayalam also borrowed S,O,B,W and N from Roman script while Tamil borrowed L and U. :partay:

@Ravi Nair To a casual observer though, many letters between Tamil and Malayalam will look similar. Ja, Ka, Sa - look very similar. And I didn't know Malayalam also borrowed S,O,B,W and N from Roman script while Tamil borrowed L and U. :partay:

You are right. :tup:

The similarities end there. Give me a page in Tamil to read, and I might be able to infer the meaning of 8 or 9 words.

You are right on ja, Ka, Sa,

You are right. :tup:

The similarities end there. Give me a page in Tamil to read, and I might be able to infer the meaning of 8 or 9 words.

You are right on ja, Ka, Sa,
And funny how Kha in Malayalam is the same as Va in Tamil.
Sinhala is a sister script of Kannada. The letter for Ra is the same in both scripts.

I have observed Telgus can read Kannada and vice versa. but, Malayalam script although looks similar is different. however, some words can be readable by Malayalis. learning tamil alphabet is easy(acc. to me). they have no complex alphabets and special symbols etc as we have in Malayalam.

Malayalam and script of Tulu language seems much closer . while, Tamil is more intelligible perhaps than Tulu. if a Tamil speaks to Malyali he may understand and vice versa - not always true.

Tamil is so much different - they have no separate alphabets for separate sounds like we have in other Dravidian/Indo-aryan languages.
Tamil: ka,cha,tha,ta,pa.. not ka,kha,ga,kkha like Kannada or Malaylam have. also, the word formation is also very different:
Prayana(m) is a word for travel in many south Indian languages. while in tamil, they simplicized it into pa-ya-nam.
common example is: you write cricket - as cricket in Kannada or Telgu or Malyalam. in Tamil you write: Ki-ri-ke-t .. name such as "Praveen" as "pi-raveen", the word "ha","sha","ba" are generally ignored.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom