What's new

Karachi: Asia's biggest food and entertainment resort opening next month

The said food court is spead in a large area somthing like 14 Hectares.
It's 13 acres. 1 Hectare = 2.47 acres.

Numbers wise home many restaurants and how many tables are we talking about. If it runs into thousands, it will become difficult to fill in those said tables with steep entry fees.

It's a food court plus shopping mall area plus theater plus some rides area. The food court is focused in a circular area.

That's why I'll surely pay a visit when I visit home in the winters, obviously with friends only.

Me too, in December this year :)

By the way, usually I agree with you but this time you are being a bit too harsh on this project with the 'elitist' emphasis. Projects like this will generate a lot of revenue. Please think of the chain of businesses and people involved in doing all this. Of course the 'poor' will always have their own 'Bun Kabab' and 'Aalu Choley' vendors all over the city as always.

I think, if they take care of the 'security' situation then this will probably be good for the 'morale' and the economy of Karachi and Pakistan.

Let's not be too harsh. This is not a 'Taj Mahal' being built here.

PS. I think they will help to lower the entrance fee to much lower. Something like 'free' or about Rs. 10/head.

The entry fee is for entry only, it would not include anything else. As for the resort part, it is not termed as a resort in its official website. More of a Food Court, that is the category which it would fall under.

Port Grand

It is based in a locality which has extensive amounts of financially well off people. This is based in Sea View which is basically an upper middle/upper class area. Surrounding areas include Clifton, Defense and other such places which are anonymous with the rich of Pakistan and so they would not find it difficult to shell this amount.

Most of the people in these areas consider expensive places to be the only ones worth visiting. Only because the lower classes are not there and they can then mingle with their 'exalted' kind. Trust me, you should see how snobby and arrogant most of the people in these areas are.

A South Asian trait...shown also in the US by recent immigrants who think they are above blacks and Hispanics.

Most of the people in these areas consider expensive places to be the only ones worth visiting. Only because the lower classes are not there and they can then mingle with their 'exalted' kind. Trust me, you should see how snobby and arrogant most of the people in these areas are.

I know what you are talking about ! Trust me no dearth of those kinds of people in Bombay also...

Let's not be too harsh. This is not a 'Taj Mahal' being built here.

I hope you still be visiting though it is not Tajmahal!
If some one declare it Taj Mahal than it is not called being harsh.. it is called a compliment. Still i got your twist.

The said food court is spead in a large area somthing like 14 Hectares. Numbers wise home many restaurants and how many tables are we talking about. If it runs into thousands, it will become difficult to fill in those said tables with steep entry fees.

There will a quite a number of rich people in all the major cities and that will include Karachi, the point this is not the only place trying to attact them every single day.

First of all, look at the population of Karachi which is estimated around 13 million peoples. Secondly Pakistani 200 rupees are like 110 indian rupees so do not get shocked after hearing 200 rupees. Third - its not 14 hectures but 13 acres of land only, four - we have tourist spots near Chenab and Jhelum river where each person is charged around 300 - 600 rupees per head (4-5 people go their eat some light food and pay 2000 - 3000 rupees but it has no admission fee though). I am sure there is a large population who will still be able to afford this Food resort.

Yes the questions are valid and seems like this place has only been made for the rich peoples but it does not mean it will be a failed spot. I am sure large crowd will still be attracted as 200 rupees no longer have any value in Pakistan. Even half kg of meat cost you more than 200 rupees nowadays

I wish more of such projects in Pakistan. Development in Pakistan and India will bring peace. As for the argument that what is in it for the 80% of the comman Pakistanis. I am of the view that such projects have positive impact on all classes of the society.

They mostly do not dare touch the "connected" people since they know that the future might not be well. However, many make the mistake (or the extremely bold ones) and the police can usually catch them. The middle-middle class is the biggest victim of robberies in Pakistan. I can scourge crime statistics region and victim's income wise if you want (I know they are kept low so as to show "efficiency").

PS:-In exceptional cases, the "daring" ones can be the financial wing of the militant organizations as well.

do we have an actual statistics on street crime in Karachi -- albeit I bet a lot of it goes unreported so official stats and unofficial would have huge discrepency

its normal in any big (crowded) city that sees lots of rural-to-urban migration to have some issues with crime. But I feel its compounded ten-fold in Karachi, where it is abnormally high

the police and police intelligence need to step up their game and make their presence more known ---doesnt matter whether its Clifton or Lyari.

as for this project, I dont see why it wouldnt be feasible. Of course only middle/upper-middle/elite classes would be enabled to afford venturing out there.....

I would have preferred seeing a mega recreational center or high tech library being built instead --and in a more down-trodden area. But any development work or project has my blessing if it brings betterment to the country

do we have an actual statistics on street crime in Karachi -- albeit I bet a lot of it goes unreported so official stats and unofficial would have huge discrepency

As usual the figures are under-reported so as to show "efficiency" from the most basic level. Moreover, in the case of Punjab "petty crimes" are not registered in the roznamacha (this dates back to early '90s). The police websites carry the crime statistics district wise, however they are down right now.

I have however read detailed police station and zone wise crime statistics and analysis and mapping of crime zones in the cases of all urban areas. I'll post them if I find them in my pile of documents and the digital junk I have.

its normal in any big (crowded) city that sees lots of rural-to-urban migration to have some issues with crime. But I feel its compounded ten-fold in Karachi, where it is abnormally high

It's way too much in Karachi and there are many factors primary amongst them are the existence of slums which lead to increased crime (Lyari, Pathankot and Orangi) and the fact that there's no management there. Political involvement is raised as a big factor, however the police officers down play this and emphasize that most big robberies and kidnapping-for-ransom do not even involve local gangs but gangs operating out of Thatta, Mirpur Khas and Baloch coastal areas. Karachi is their main source of income.

Organized crime and high crime rates in mega-cities are no-brainers. It takes time for cities to overcome them. New York being a prime example of a city that has had to struggle hard to overcome crime. Moreover, Karachi is under-manned when it comes to police. Private Security Guards in Karachi outnumber the entire strength of Sindh Police.

I would have preferred seeing a mega recreational center or high tech library being built instead --and in a more down-trodden area. But any development work or project has my blessing if it brings betterment to the country

Library, buhahahaha. Oxymoronic in out highly anti-intellectual society.

Anyways, why do you wonder there are no waste management plants for the entire of Lahore and Karachi dumps all of its sewerage untreated in the sea (one plant is operational but it constitutes only about 15% of the entire dump)?

Infrastructural projects do not create political capital since the media does not cover them and neither are they as visible. The idea of "development" has been limited to what the assertive class i.e. the upper middle and elite class define and for them it constitutes wider roads, bigger real estate projects (land obtained under eminent domain under the guise of "public interest" when there isn't any public interest in setting up gated communities) and creating more and more country and golf clubs for the elites. As long as the media does not start roaring over the lack of infrastructural investment (and appreciates the ones that are done), there is no real hope.

This is not the first time I would have ranted on this elitist development though. PDF has witnessed many of my rants :)

feel free to prove it wrong my friend, waiting for your reply

I already said that its my LAST post as i don't wanna derail this thread or called a troll. Since you insist. Here we go.

My point is its not "Asia's biggest"

Yaar, its just a shopping mall which will have shopping area + food & beverages space (many Restaurants) + Theater + Entertainment Area (Games zone bowling lounge etc.) + Parking area.

And as i said there are many already operational in India.

For clearing your doubts:

Mantri Square Bangalore

- It has 6 screen Inox multiplex theater with 1497 seating capacity. :cheers:

- Spread over 1.7 million square feet. = More then 3 times Bigger area then the Karachi. :cheers:

1 acre = 43560 square feet, this means Karachi has 13 acre X 43560 = 5,66,280

In India Mantri Square Bangalore has 1.7 million square feet but karachi has only 5,66,280.

- With an investment of over Rs. 500 crore. = About ten times costly then Karachi project. :cheers:

Because Karachi project worth only Rs. 100 crore that too Pakistani rupees.

- Mantri Square Bangalore has footfall of 80,000 persons visiting it per day. :cheers:

- Soon it will be connected to Metro train which is under construction.

- After Metro connectivity it will get the footfall to go up to one lakh a day.

The mall will have the largest food court and dining area in Bangalore. It has 1 lakh sq ft area and can accommodate over 1,000 people. :cheers:

- Parking for 2500 vehicle :cheers:

Largest mall, Mantri Square to have metro connectivity-News -Real Estate-Markets-The Economic Times

And for more details you are free to Google.

@ mogambo

you are a genius Sir,

comparing Food resort to Shopping mall?

Mantrisquarefront.jpg

What else can i say to you? - amazing - super amazing

PS: I just want to say something in your respect "next time think before you speak"

Back
Top Bottom