What's new

JF-17 Thunder - Information Pool

I don't have any inside info , but if we look at different news about JF-17 , different interviews of ACMs this all point out in one direction We might see more then 3 blocks …. Just look at JF-17-B , is that not another block
(people talking about JF-17 glower) .. Rest time will tell .
Haven't really read or watched any interviews for some time so can not comment but my own opinion is Block 4 or 5 will not be on the cards as PAF would be looking towards Project AZM.
Also reaching the target of 250 aircraft would take PAF around 2025-26 where stealth aircraft would be available to replace other PAF assets.
PAF also requires LIFT platforms and is not looking towards JF-17 to fulfill so this indicates that PAF would be procuring something from the market most likely Turkish Hurjet which would be mature by that time.

All the time the world was focussed on Thunders smoke and commenting on the engine power or lack of it and the number of hard points, PAF was working on technologies that matter, and Thunder proved its mettle against top of the line IAF assets.

Hi,

The JF17 has already taken the Grippen NG route---. Technically---the JF17 is ahead of the Grippen in making the changes in upgrading the aircraft---.

As much hype as the Gripen created for its aircraft---it has fallen short of the target---the JF17 has drawn the first blood against the enemy---.

The Grippen has only proven itself in the 'for sale' commercials so far---. Its expensive cost of operation---the expensive spare parts have forced the south african air force to ground its aircraft.

A change in design from Grippen to Grippen NG has made the older aircraft sort of obsolete---and the customers stuck with the older version feeling bad and dissatisfied with the experience---about it.

Grippen had its first flight in 1988---and the JF17---first flight in 2003---.

All the time the world was focussed on Thunders smoke and commenting on the engine power or lack of it and the number of hard points, PAF was working on technologies that matter, and Thunder proved its mettle against top of the line IAF assets.

Hi,

Posters were focusing on useless stuff like smoke or engine power---absolutely stupid comments that had no tactical value on the aircraft---.

Then one imbecile was talking about heat signature of the smoke---.

Now all of them are shut up---.

Haven't really read or watched any interviews for some time so can not comment but my own opinion is Block 4 or 5 will not be on the cards as PAF would be looking towards Project AZM.
Also reaching the target of 250 aircraft would take PAF around 2025-26 where stealth aircraft would be available to replace other PAF assets.
PAF also requires LIFT platforms and is not looking towards JF-17 to fulfill so this indicates that PAF would be procuring something from the market most likely Turkish Hurjet which would be mature by that time.
Dear brother , We cannot replace 250 jets with 5th Gen Jets , simply to expensive …… JF-17 is here because we have to replace 100s of F-6s and F-7s with affordability and with next and advance gen eqm then older F-6s and F-7s ,,,, Alhamdullilah we did that ……… JF-17 will replace all F-6s and F-7s ……. But we have F-7Pgs and Mirages to replace , and replacing all of (400) jets with only JF-17 (light bird in current airframe) will be mad and suicidal ,.
So from here 2 things can happen ,one PAF will stick with 250+ JF-17 (Block III) and stop making more blocks of it and to replace Mirages and F-7Pgs we might buy or build other Jet (heavy or medium ) likes of J-10s , J-16s , EFT , etc. 2nd PAF will go for next blocks , will try to make JF-17 a proper medium range fighter , we might see some changes in airframe , we might even see a new name ,, we might even see a new bird .. but this will not going to be 5th gen … As I already said we cannot afford 200+ 5th gen birds .
I see PAF in future as this(one can call it my wish list):
  1. 250+ JF-17 Block III
  2. 120+ J-10 (P) , they will replace Mirages
  3. 40+ J-31 as first heavy and 5th Gen bird , you can call it AZM-I
  4. 60+ TFX (2035) to replace F-16s and to have single engine 5th Gen , you can call it AZM-II

Hi,

The JF17 has already taken the Grippen NG route---. Technically---the JF17 is ahead of the Grippen in making the changes in upgrading the aircraft---.

As much hype as the Gripen created for its aircraft---it has fallen short of the target---the JF17 has drawn the first blood against the enemy---.

The Grippen has only proven itself in the 'for sale' commercials so far---. Its expensive cost of operation---the expensive spare parts have forced the south african air force to ground its aircraft.

A change in design from Grippen to Grippen NG has made the older aircraft sort of obsolete---and the customers stuck with the older version feeling bad and dissatisfied with the experience---about it.

Grippen had its first flight in 1988---and the JF17---first flight in 2003---.

Grippen's plus point Vs other 4.5 gen jets was it's price and it has seemed to lost that competitiveness in the NG model.
For the Bulgarian tender the Grippen had a higher upfront cost than to F-16Vs but claimed to offer a lower operational cost over a specified period of usage. F-16V was chosen and Bulgarian Defence Minister signed a MOU which has been challenged by the Finance Ministry but will likely go through.

Access to SOW and BVR (SD-10B/PL-15) weapons give JF-17 a real good edge over it's competitors. Azerbaijan is reported to be considering Block-2+ configuration which is a Block-2 with a air cooled AESA.

Yes it can be and it cannot on the same time...….. Only time will tell. All the best for the JF-17 program .

There was a interview and a Project Manager hinted that there will probably be more Blocks 4,5+ etc of JF-17s and newer builds might actually end up replacing the earliest JF-17s. Early JF-17 air frames have already started receiving overhauls.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/the-first-jf-17-has-been-overhauled-by-pakistan.575807/

My own opinion is PAF will replace F-7PGs with Blk-3 and next Mirage fleet will be replaced with a mix of Blk-3 and Project Azm jets as they are expected to serve till 2025-2030. Don't see J-10 being inducted for now as JF-17s being expanded with new capabilities. Recent conflict is apparent that engaging ground targets too risky for manned missions so a lot of the the ground strike capability should be handed over to UCAVs once more capable models available. Future air combat is expected to introduce a unmanned wingman concept.
F-16s could get another MLU and serve longer with help from Turkey as they are working on their own AESA radar and F-16V style upgrade.

Is this still the "JF-17 Thunder Information Pool" thread? Please keep this thread clean. Take random stuff to the JF-17 thread - and please do not indulge in J-10 here or there. Thanks.

this going to take me years to finish reading ......

Dear brother , We cannot replace 250 jets with 5th Gen Jets , simply to expensive …… JF-17 is here because we have to replace 100s of F-6s and F-7s with affordability and with next and advance gen eqm then older F-6s and F-7s ,,,, Alhamdullilah we did that ……… JF-17 will replace all F-6s and F-7s ……. But we have F-7Pgs and Mirages to replace , and replacing all of (400) jets with only JF-17 (light bird in current airframe) will be mad and suicidal ,.
So from here 2 things can happen ,one PAF will stick with 250+ JF-17 (Block III) and stop making more blocks of it and to replace Mirages and F-7Pgs we might buy or build other Jet (heavy or medium ) likes of J-10s , J-16s , EFT , etc. 2nd PAF will go for next blocks , will try to make JF-17 a proper medium range fighter , we might see some changes in airframe , we might even see a new name ,, we might even see a new bird .. but this will not going to be 5th gen … As I already said we cannot afford 200+ 5th gen birds .
I see PAF in future as this(one can call it my wish list):
  1. 250+ JF-17 Block III
  2. 120+ J-10 (P) , they will replace Mirages
  3. 40+ J-31 as first heavy and 5th Gen bird , you can call it AZM-I
  4. 60+ TFX (2035) to replace F-16s and to have single engine 5th Gen , you can call it AZM-II
Or 250-275 thunders
80 f16s(long term AZM replacement)
And 40-60 NGF(to replace mirages)
=350- 400 fighters ~19-20sq

Credits - Zahri
58717944_2259817047669397_2171020657192599552_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom