What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

i think due to the fact that block 3 looks almost like block 2 and 1, its hard for naked eye to identify if this particular airframe is block 3 for them to snap pictures, for them its just another block 2 (ohhh old news who cares) out from factory

maybe thats the reason we havent seen many pictures of block 3? others might differ with me on this?

InshaAllah we will see few block 3 birds induction till end of this year.

Right. So 'turbofan' is used in fighter jets, and in commercial airliners. The two are entirely different beasts, with the former having a low-bypass ratio, and the latter having a high-bypass ratio. Which is why they were laughing because Rolls Royce does not have experience with low-bypass, high thrust military jet engines.
The core of a highbypass turbofan is a turbojet.

maybe thats the reason we havent seen many pictures of block 3? others might differ with me on this?
JF17B2 production has been completed now every new would be B3.
India has been so much noise when it started inducting rafales in the forms of 2 and 3s.
But here we have no formal induction, neither any new pics of its flying in the air nor in PAC during testing.
If these are ready in few numbers, why these are not in PAF doing pilot familiarization with new systems?
JF17B3 is under a heavy invisibility cloak like Harry Potter not visible to friends and foes.
at present, there is no end to this long visible waiting of the invisible.

Program has slowed considerably down since 2015 bench marks
Should have had 250 planes by 2015

It has been slowed down to allow 150 JF Block II and 150 JF Block III , setup
instead of 250 JF Block II + 100 JF Block III

Seems like aim is to better use the funds to get more Block III , but with little wait
We have seen that wait for past 6 years between 2015 to Present

• More time went to select the Radar
  • More time went into finalizing designs for Block III
  • More time to check out the weapons package
  • More time to fine tune Engine for the craft

The Covid-19 Crisis no doubt must have also impacted things at least for last 2 years

Last edited:
block 3 will take significantly more time to induct in my opinion because familiarization of AESA, developing tactics and training pilots would be very time consuming

all of our existing and upcoming pilots are accustomed to old radars and i believe with AESA the learning curve is very VERY steep

i might be wrong here but that's what i think

Last edited:
block 3 will take significantly more time to induct in my opinion because familiarization of AESA, developing tactics and training pilots would be very time consuming

all of our existing and upcoming pilots are accustomed to PESA radars and i believe with AESA the learning curve is very VERY steep

Our pilots are not accustomed to using PESA radars, at all!

all of our existing and upcoming pilots are accustomed to old radars and i believe with AESA the learning curve is very VERY steep

The testing period points to something more. I can surmise one of a few instances.
A. Newer hardware being inducted requiring integration and testing.
B. Teething troubles being tested sorted out and retested.
C. PAC is Waiting local AESA Radars as these were being assembled in house. PAC might have gotten a few from China but want to make sure the local product is in place before the platform is handed over.
D. With a new FCR all weapons might need to be reintegrated which might take time.
E. PAC always maintained 2023 for induction so following a schedule.
F. Lastly and a B8G LAST, RD93MA integration.
A

The testing period points to something more. I can surmise one of a few instances.
A. Newer hardware being inducted requiring integration and testing.
B. Teething troubles being tested sorted out and retested.
C. PAC is Waiting local AESA Radars as these were being assembled in house. PAC might have gotten a few from China but want to make sure the local product is in place before the platform is handed over.
D. With a new FCR all weapons might need to be reintegrated which might take time.
E. PAC always maintained 2023 for induction so following a schedule.
F. Lastly and a B8G LAST, RD93MA integration.
A
Wait is well worth it if rd93 ma is coming
This would essential change the plan

PAF not in much hurry due to possible quick induction of J10s they can afford to give time to PAC/CAC

As one thing discussed at minor level is use of stealth coatings/measures on Jet though block 3 may look to be like previous blocks but it's color scheme shall certinly change due to stealth features. In export arena it shall have competitors like Checkmate with lesser price tag and better capabilities in next 2 Years so challanges are there so it's better to take time and refine it as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom