What's new

JF-17 (2P29) arrives in Pakistan

For IRST the PAF could go for a podded solution using an off-the-shelf design. This is what the U.S. is doing with its F-16 an F-15s (via the Legion IRST pod).
given the limited no. of pods/hardpoint and highly superior IAF, it would be better to go for intergated solution

@Oscar @Bilal Khan 777 one possible location could be beside the cannon (left red circle, not sure how heavy the pod is compared to the cannon). Other possible locations could bye under the LERX (blue circles) if they are strong enough or could be strengthened, the benefit is if the pods outer shell can be made to conform to the existing curves (like the CFT's) the drag issue can be significantly reduced and last the location highlighted by purple circle if it is possible to move the antennas to the sides. I am not an expert and not sure how practical these are but, these are the only possible locations available for dedicated hard points for pods without loosing the dedicated under wing weapon stations.

aufn7s.jpg

Which would be?

The basic issue is where the pods would go and the associated weight penalty. A pod is still something hanging off the aircraft and is a source of drag.

Last edited:
Hi,

The low profile will not effect the installation of and Irst under the belly---because it is a small unit---and there are no explosives in it.

The Hatf 8 is a massive ordinance full of fuel and explosives---.

This looked even worst on the F-5 and Mig-21.. I think there are some safety tolerances taken into account in the design of the JF-17 as well.. it sould be safe, no need to worry..

tiger.parsys.71243.Image.jpeg

AIR_F-5N_VFC-111_at_NAS_Key_West_lg.jpg

f-5-tigershark-007.jpg

EbTzG.jpg

Mig-21.jpg

====================================================================

JF-17 does not have enough space for these?

BkX_h1qCYAE7Z8d.jpg

Last edited:
OK. Looks like another pixel counting exercise required.

According to my calculations Raad is 0.7 m tall if one includes the ventral fins. I'll do one for the JF-17's tank as well.
Raad.jpg

EDIT:
The tank is at 0.63 m. All this is rough but the tank is smaller nonetheless. Also the tank isn't its tallest at the back where it is bound to make contact with the ground.
jf.jpg

This picture should show how even the tank barely fits. Point to note is that Ra'ad is also VERY wide and as one can see in this picture the tank on the wing is rather close as well. The problem is with both stations then. The centreline hardpoint is too close to the ground and the wing hardpoint is too close laterally to the fuselage.
jfclose.jpg

JF-17 has 0.86 m of clearance compared to 1.22 m of the mirage 3. Woah that is indeed shocking.
jf2.jpg

DISCLAIMER: All numbers rough. Probably off by 10-20 cms.

Last edited:
A flat tire of maximum 0.15 m + 0.70 = 0.85 from 1.22m leaves 0.35m or 35 cm, so it won't touch the ground.

somebody has to tell the PAF "master-minds" that they need increase ground clearance of JFT!

somebody has to tell the PAF "master-minds" that they need increase ground clearance of JFT!
It is not as easy as you seem to think. Landing gear height is a design decision based on many different compromises of weight, clearance, loads.

Also please keep in mind the JF-17 wasn't designed around the Ra'ad. If anything the Ra'ad needs to be modified.

Thanks for having a go. Interestingly I was doing the same and our numbers are close. And yes, allow for at least 10% error.

View attachment 313722
The F-16 doesn't seem to do much better in this department either. I had speculated that the last Ra'ad test was from an F-16. Now I doubt that.
F-16.png

When I get the time I am going to write an article about the design of the Ra'ad Cruise Missile. I want to pick apart why it is the way it is and what can be improved upon.

@JamD @Tempest II

Thank you guys---you have done a great job. @JamD---waiting for your article on the Raad---plz tag me.

I think that simplest and the easiest solution would be to modify the design of the missile---a little more rectangular----.

And also for the fuel tanks----if they can move away from the round tanks to the squarish / rectangular tanks of the Gripen NG---that would work well. That would again give more clearance and ability to carry more fuel.

Look up this thread also:

Anatomy of the Hatf-VIII Ra’ad Air Launched Cruise Missile

Guys, i have received an interesting tweet on the latest JF-17 to appear in Kamra.

***** *******'@**** ***** 3h

There are more information on JF-17 2P29 aircraft, it has increased hard points, more use of composites and LERX increased dog tooth for prevention to stalling at low speed. Better avionics.

13494920_632208143620513_8964591547815726144_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom