What's new

J-XY - maybe J-35 - next generation carrier-borne fighter

Again, smaller does not mean "inferior" in any way. It may not have PLAN endorsement yet, but that doesn't say anything of its ability to obtain military backing in the future; in fact, the drastically-increased frequency of flight tests in the past few weeks leads me to suspect that it has received some form of backing already.

In most cases smaller means less space to accommodate fuel and usually result in less range, otherwise why wasting time on developing heavier fighters.

Lets stop here.

In most cases smaller means less space to accommodate fuel and usually result in less range, otherwise why wasting time on developing heavier fighters.

Lets stop here.

On the other hand, why are air forces around the globe still procuring medium- and lightweight fighters? Both classes of jets bring about their own set of advantages and disadvantages, as do the FC-31 and J-20.

It seems like you're a CAC fanboy ... why so much hatred towards SAC? They have definitely improved the quality of their operations and manufacturing processes. There is nothing to assume why the FC-31 is dead. Navalizing a J-20 is much harder than a FC-31 type, whose design is optimal for a carrier aircraft. The only problem with the FC-31 being the next gen carrier fighter is it's weak RD-33/WS-13 engines ...

I am actually a fanboy of compentence, not a fanboy of CAC, I am from Beijing, has no relations in Chengdu, actually my mother side of familiy has a Northeast root.

It seems like you're a CAC fanboy ... why so much hatred towards SAC? They have definitely improved the quality of their operations and manufacturing processes. There is nothing to assume why the FC-31 is dead. Navalizing a J-20 is much harder than a FC-31 type, whose design is optimal for a carrier aircraft. The only problem with the FC-31 being the next gen carrier fighter is it's weak RD-33/WS-13 engines ...

But isn't that the engine to be considered as the main factor why FC-31 will become a Carrier Aircraft or not, is it? If China can develop a more powerful engine with RD-33 / WS-13 engine size, maybe FC-31 will have a future in the next gen Carrier Aircraft. But what if they not, or not yet capable / has any of it?

I'm curious if FC-31 can be equipped with twin AL-31 / WS-10X engine. But it means that they have to change the size. and it won't be an FC-31 anymore.

But isn't that the engine to be considered as the main factor why FC-31 will become a Carrier Aircraft or not, is it? If China can develop a more powerful engine with RD-33 / WS-13 engine size, maybe FC-31 will have a future in the next gen Carrier Aircraft. But what if they not, or not yet capable / has any of it?

I'm curious if FC-31 can be equipped with twin AL-31 / WS-10X engine. But it means that they have to change the size. and it won't be an FC-31 anymore.
Given that the FC-31 is a light/medium fighter, it doesn’t necessarily need a very large thrust turbofan like the WS-15 or even a WS-10 type. That would be pretty overkill. Allow me to rephrase ... the FC-31 needs a much more advanced engine based on a new core design that enables it to supercruise and have high fuel efficiency. The thrust doesn’t need a huge increase but the antiquated RD-33/WS-13 copy really needs to be ditched for the FC-31 to become fifth generation. I believe the engine debate is one of the reasons why the FC-31 hasn’t won over the J-20 in the carrier competition ...

Lets stop here.
AAR will also increase range of FC-31, if install in the future and not to forget FC-31 currently not a finish product bro:p:

Given that the FC-31 is a light/medium fighter, it doesn’t necessarily need a very large thrust turbofan like the WS-15 or even a WS-10 type. That would be pretty overkill. Allow me to rephrase ... the FC-31 needs a much more advanced engine based on a new core design that enables it to supercruise and have high fuel efficiency. The thrust doesn’t need a huge increase but the antiquated RD-33/WS-13 copy really needs to be ditched for the FC-31 to become fifth generation. I believe the engine debate is one of the reasons why the FC-31 hasn’t won over the J-20 in the carrier competition ...

Yes, I agree. It's the RD-33/WS-13 that make FC-31 chance is quite low for now. But forget about supercruise and high fuel efficiency. One question, forget about the next gen AC with catapult. But can FC-31 take off from Liaoning in full load with double RD-33 / WS-13 Engine?

Last edited:
not canceled, too much changes, caused technological difficulties and hence delay```the AWACs is roughly the size of E-2C``````and the 5th gen AC based stealth fight program is about to freeze the technology prospect, therefore will soon entre the second phase of "chucking" out prototypes `````````but I still don not know how it looks`````````could be a hybrid, or could be just like her mon```:lol:

My understanding is that the PLAN wants a medium-sized heavyweight 5th generation fighter, and the contenders are 601 and 611. The 601 institute is presenting a navalized 3.0 version of the FC-31 while we don't know what 611 is developing.

How close is this to the information you have?

The construction has never begun until this year.

Do we have any updates on the PLAN 5th generation fighter program? I've been hearing that it's a competition between SAC & CAC (FC-31 vs a J-20 variant?). When can we expect the results to come out?

Since in recent days the rumours are again getting more and more intense, some even speaking of a F-20-variant having already won, while others still take the decision not made yet, I anyway start a new thread.

Here are at least a few posts that hint into that direction ...

https://lt.cjdby.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2412909&extra=page=1

And finally I stumbled across this one ...

http://mil.news.sina.com.cn/jssd/2017-09-18/doc-ifykywuc6028805.shtml

If not a fake again it looks as if the carrier-mock-up & teststand at Dalian has a fighter mock-up added.

View attachment 426471

I bet we will know only after it has undergone first flight.

I think they should enlarge the design based on J-31, and use WS-15. Adding side weapon bays to carry PL-10 wouldn't be a bad idea either, leaving the main bay to carry offensive munitions.

I think they should enlarge the design based on J-31, and use WS-15. Adding side weapon bays to carry PL-10 wouldn't be a bad idea either, leaving the main bay to carry offensive munitions.

Then it wouldn't be the "J-31". It would be a new fighter, not only in model but in class & type.

First of all I don't know how reliable this rumour is, however at .... (where I found this one) is currently a heated debate going on:

https://www.weibo.com/1240246333/FDnc4zkUX

"Key points: Shenyang won the winning ribbon carrier machine. Rhombic chicken, foldable main wing, double hair WS19. Head and tail like 20, chicken wings to enlarge the area, the main wing and the tail can be folded, DSi Inlet, supersonic cruising capacity of not less than half an hour. Basically in the 30 ton level. In fact, it's a 31 enlarged version."
划重点:沈阳中标丝带舰载机。菱形鸡头,可折叠主翼,双发WS19 。头和尾像歼20,鸡翼面积进行放大,主翼和尾翼可以折叠,DSI进气道,超音速巡航能力不低于半个小时。基本上在30吨级左右。其实就是31的放大版。

(The post contained/quoted another post that is now deleted. If anyone saw it, let us know what it said.)
Does it say there are canards (chicken wings)? How does "head and tail like J-20" and (possibly) canards go with enlarged FC-31?

What do you think?

Deino

Back
Top Bottom