What's new

J-XY - maybe J-35 - next generation carrier-borne fighter

Claiming that the Chinese EM catapult is more advanced than the US one would require access to the engineering documents and test data of both systems. Has it crossed anyone's mind how Chinese engineers managed to get their hands on the EMALS' blueprints or its test data?

Admiral Yin Zhuo did not explicitly say that the J-20 & FC-31 will definitely serve on PLAN carriers. And quite frankly the statement is more likely his own opinion rather than official confirmation of such.
From this line in that article:

The J-20 and J-31 will surely be installed on future Chinese aircraft carriers with the catapult system, to protect the carriers, Yin Zhuo, a senior researcher at the PLA Naval Equipment Research Center, told the Military Time.

The J-20 and J-31 will surely be installed on future Chinese aircraft carriers with the catapult system, to protect the carriers, Yin Zhuo, a senior researcher at the PLA Naval Equipment Research Center, told the Military Time.

He has given similar statements before and this is likely another piece of speculation (or opinion) on his part. The PLAN next-generation fighter tender is still ongoing, although it does seem that the FC-31 is being favorably looked upon.

Yizhuo is not a reliable source.

I wrote down here my bet or faith... allow time to divulge its truth. Not pretty long, just another 12 to 24 months at most. Let's see again by then :D:P
I think construction of the various modules began quite a long time ago. At this point, the EM catapult is mature enough and awaiting installation on the new CATOBAR carrier. I personally think we will be seeing signs of assembly by next year, assuming that there are no further delays in the EM vs Steam catapult competition.

Yizhuo is not a reliable source.
Yin Zhuo might not be reliable himself but the essence of his statement is true. At this point, whoever wins the navalized J-20 or FC-31 tender will be the next carrier aircraft. Having both FC-31 and J-20 navalized and placed on a carrier would be near impossible given resource allocation/development cycle.

There is no such thing as J-31 on China's future CV, actually there is no such thing as J-31 since PLA still refuse to fund or officially support this SAC's failed attemp at 5gen fighter.

Btw, there are rumors that the CCP/PLA become so disappointment about SAC to the degree they want to setup a new fighter manufaturer elsewhere, and by putting Yang Wei at a higher position (standing memeber of central committe) than the leader of AVIC also show the rumor could has some creditablity.

So far, A modified J-20 is possible, but NAVY may want their own type of stealth fighter as well.

There is no such thing as J-31 on China's future CV, actually there is no such thing as J-31 since PLA still refuse to fund or officially support this SAC's failed attemp at 5gen fighter.

Btw, there are rumors that the CCP/PLA become so disappointment about SAC to the degree they want to setup a new fighter manufaturer elsewhere, and by putting Yang Wei at a higher position (standing memeber of central committe) than the leader of AVIC also show the rumor could has some creditablity.

So far, A modified J-20 is possible, but NAVY may want their own type of stealth fighter as well.

A modified FC-31 is still competing for the tender, as far as the most recent rumors go, so there is still a possibility of a navalized FC-31 even if the PLAN is not currently funding it. On the other hand, there has been barely any talk of a navalized J-20 from credible or official sources.

I wouldn't be jumping to that conclusion if I were you. Given recent photos and a completely revamped FC-31V2 appearing, I would say the program has gained steam as opposed to a "failed attempt". It's clear that SAC is trying their best to pitch the FC-31 to the PLAN as part of the naval tender and they're finally trying pretty hard. Personally, I think a navalized J-10 with stealth characteristics would be the most ideal carrier fighter

I wouldn't be jumping to that conclusion if I were you. Given recent photos and a completely revamped FC-31V2 appearing, I would say the program has gained steam as opposed to a "failed attempt". It's clear that SAC is trying their best to pitch the FC-31 to the PLAN as part of the naval tender and they're finally trying pretty hard. Personally, I think a navalized J-10 with stealth characteristics would be the most ideal carrier fighter

I wouldn't jump to conclusion to claim I were jumped to conclusion if I were you, dont waste my time on this, nowadays, it is still told as FC-31, and dont get a "J" there, therefore no official support, just SAC's wishful thoughts.

I wouldn't jump to conclusion to claim I were jumped to conclusion if I were you, dont waste my time on this, nowadays, it is still told as FC-31, and dont get a "J" there, therefore no official support, just SAC's wishful thoughts.

There's nothing keeping the PLAN for assessing and adopting the FC-31 in the future. If it meets all the criteria, there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

There's nothing keeping the PLAN for assessing and adopting the FC-31 in the future. If it meets all the criteria, there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

PLAN perfer a open competition instead of a close doored deal, and by open competition, given SAC's trackrecord, they will lose.

Also, one main reason PLAAF show little interests in FC-31, besides SAC's track record, is the range issue of a middle-size fighter.

And for a navy air-superiority fighter, who serves as the backbone of fleet defence, range should be a even more important concern in the age of wide-adoptation of long-ranged anti-ship missiles, so I suspect they will prefer a heavy fighter for its better range, could be of a J-20 variartion or something completely new.

PLAN perfer a open competition instead of a close doored deal, and by open competition, given SAC's trackrecord, they will lose.

Also, one main reason PLAAF show little interests in FC-31, besides SAC's track record, is the range issue of a middle-size fighter.

And for a navy air-superiority fighter, who serves as the backbone of fleet defence, range should be a even more important concern in the age of wide-adoptation of long-ranged anti-ship missiles, so I suspect they will prefer a heavy fighter for its better range, could be of a J-20 variartion or something completely new.

The range of the FC-31 can be increased by enlarging its wing area, while the smaller size of the FC-31 brings its own set of advantages to the air wing. From what we know of the "competition", the PLAN prefers a medium-sized heavyweight fighter i.e. F-35-class jets.

The range of the FC-31 can be increased by enlarging its wing area, while the smaller size of the FC-31 brings its own set of advantages to the air wing. From what we know of the "competition", the PLAN prefers a medium-sized heavyweight fighter i.e. F-35-class jets.

No matter how larger, it is still smaller than a heavy fighter like J-20.

Besides, I heard SAC has difficulties in developing the flight control system of FC-31, could be lack of funds or sheer imcompentence or both, but anyway, anyone can see FC-31 have zero chance here:

It is poorly funded, poorly supported, and has lost support from higher-ups (with the recent promotion of Yang Wei and recent rumors of a new fighter manufacturer), the future of FC-31 project is pretty bleak.

No matter how larger, it is still smaller than a heavy fighter like J-20.

Besides, I heard SAC has difficulties in developing the flight control system of FC-31, could be lack of funds or sheer imcompentence or both, but anyway, anyone can see FC-31 have zero chance here:

It is poorly funded, poorly supported, and has lost support from higher-ups (with the recent promotion of Yang Wei and recent rumors of a new fighter manufacturer), the future of FC-31 project is pretty bleak.

Again, smaller does not mean "inferior" in any way. It may not have PLAN endorsement yet, but that doesn't say anything of its ability to obtain military backing in the future; in fact, the drastically-increased frequency of flight tests in the past few weeks leads me to suspect that it has received some form of backing already.

PLAN needs both land-based and ship-based aircrafts. So it makes sense to have both jets sharing something for logistic reasons.

Back
Top Bottom